fibroids, have had them for the past decade. what should I do

Posted , 2 users are following.

these days I feel heavy and look like I'm about to pop

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to your GP and been referred to a gynaecologist?  Your medical team should have given you options to treat the fibroids. I hope you haven't been advised to just leave them if they are making you look so swollen and ''about to pop''? 

• Posted

I have always had a large stomach but I have put it down to having IBS for many years.My Mum has similar symptoms.Went to my doctor last Sept thinking that another lump was a hernia but following an ultrasound in October it confirmed that I had several fibroids1of which was 20cm and it could result in a hysterectomy which was quite a shock.I had to have a ct scan which gave a clearer image which found that I had a hernia aswell.I was referred to a radiologist for a process calledembolisation where they cut the blood supply to the fibroids and they shrink to half the size.The rest of the fibroids would remain.The radiologist didn't think that this would be the answer due to the size of the largest fibroid so I was referred to a gynaecologist in Jan regarding a hysterectomy.He agreed but I had to have a 3month course of injections to hopefully reduce the size of the fibroids and to make the op easier.I am having an abdominal op on April 7th with probably 3 months off work.

• Posted

Could they not give you the hormones to shrink the fibroids first and then perform an open myomectomy to remove the fibroids.  I had this done in 2007 (six months of hormones via nasal spray to shrink the fiboids then the operation) when I had over 20 large (not as large as yours!) fibroids removed.  Unfortunately, the fibroids grew back so I had uterine artery embolisation (UAE) just 3 weeks ago.  I have had almost every drug and scan done in between to try to help over the last 7 years but to no avail.   

am hoping my UAE will work and although recovery is slower than anticipated, and I am more than frustrated, it means for now I avoid an hysterectomy which is such a MASSIVE operation and irreversible.  Discuss the open myomectomy (which is basically a C-section) with your medical team and see if that is possible after having your injections. 

I feel your pain.  Let me know if you talk to your team and what you decide to do.

Wishing you all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.