Fibromyalgia arm pain

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in February and am finding it hard to pace myself if I don't I get a gnawing pain in both arms where they meet my shoulders and it moves down and they feel weak and heavy for hours after just doing some housework. I still work but only can manage part time. Also palms of hands always hurt not good when my job is using my hands lol. Does anyone else have this sort of pain I am 52 and look fine and feel that I have to hide how exhausted I feel from my colleagues because they are my age and carry on the way I used to only 12 months ago keeping on top of work house etc. sorry to go on so long but would be grateful for any advice thanks hazel39438

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hazel,

wish I had some advice, I have just been told I have CFS and it is absolutely took my life over,just swept kitchen bathroom and hall feel like I have done a marathon ache from head to toe had to lay down.Do you take any meds.

you are good to be able to work,so don't be to hard on yourself you cannot be at work and housekeeping.I expect you look at it that you cannot do so much but we have got to except it ,but it is hard.

sorry not much help but you know you are not alone.

Joan

• Posted

Hi Joan thank you for your message I'm sorry that you have things so bad I think that  I am doing well to keep up work and a bit of housework although my days off are spent recovering from work and the house comes last I'm afraid.  No I don't take Meds only painkillers when I can't cope any longer am trying to listen to my body and do stretching and walking dogs although only short walks now.   Do you take Meds if so do you find that they help with fatigue      Hope you find a way to cope with it.  Hazel
    • Posted

Hi, hazel

nice to hear from you, 

Hope you are not to bad today,No I don't take any meds.cannot get on with painkillers they make me like a zombie,I am taking vitamin B complex about 2 weeks now suppose to be good,will have yo wait and see.

If I could find out what this pain in my side s would help had all the test suspected stones but all clear.

Joan

• Posted

hi Hazel

i have similar pain when I usemy arms, particularly when I try to put washing out. I manage one or two items, then the pain becomes unbearable and I get so frustrated I sometimes just throw the rest. I have been off wotk 7 months even working part time and just returned last week, but even part time its difficult to manage. I am 46 and have suffered 20 years, gradually getting worse. I have recently started on caprylic acid so will let you know whether they help, as its too soon yet. I think you should inform your colleagues as you will need their support. I am sure they will assist where needed and maybe ask your boss for a referral to occupational health and a risk assessment. Hope this helps!

sharon x

• Posted

Hi,

has caprylic acid been suggested for fibro,I thought it was just a nutritious supplement,or is there evidence this helps. I am interested try anything.

Joan

• Posted

Hi Joan, my colleague was told by the lady that does her acupuncture that there is a connection with fibro and yeast overgrowth, so we are both looking into that and have decided to take these pills and cut out sugar and cut down on grain products. I am trying to cut out bread, pots, rice, cereal an pasta for a while, as this alone helped me years ago. I had much more energy!
    • Posted

Thankyou,

I do have bread and potatoes cereal is weetabix don't like rice or pasta don't take sugar unless it is anything.

very interesting 

Thankyou

Joan

• Posted

Hi Sharon thank you for your advice on work yes they do know about fms and have tried to help all they can but I work in horticulture potting and serving customers and feel so useless when I have to ask for assistance lifting compost etc hope I can finish the season and not let people down.   I'm sorry that you feel so in pain please let me know how new Meds affect you and if any improvement I only take painkillers so far so many side effects from others.  Hazel x
    • Posted

Hi Sharon I eat all of those things too so shall try to cut them out and see what happens.  Hazel 
    • Posted

Let me know how you go. I have not been trying too hard last couple of days and have ended up giving up and having rice with meals, bread and also chocolate! :-( naughty I know, so will try again from Monday. I have suffered really bad today with left hip, left shoulder and left side of my neck, but I have also cut right down on painkillers anfd have just had a few tramadol and no co-codamol! So not too bad considering x
    • Posted

Hi sharon

i have cut down on bread and pots but that's all im afraid and no chocolate because had bad headache yesterday and choc  makes it worse, fingers very painful to use but arms not so achy so not all bad. About 18 months ago before fms I joined a clean eating diet and fitness programme which aimed to detox the body.   Cooking from scratch no sugar no additives etc and I did lose some weight but it all went out of the window when my parents in law both became Ill  and needed a lot of care but getting back to reason I brought this up is that they advocate using coconut oil for cooking which is high in caprylic acid   I have thought about starting plan without the excersise which is full on interval training sad  

will let you know if I do 

hazel x

• Posted

thanks Hazel, sounds like you have a plan! Good stuff. I do believe things we consume must be contributing to our pain. Its just a question of elimination. I cut out bread, pasta, rice, cereals, pots and sugar a few years ago and lost 22lb in 6 weeks and felt great! I should really go back to that, but when you are feeling low its so difficult to stick to it! Its getting in the right frame of mind to start these things. Right now I could devour a custard slice! Lol luckily there are none nearby. I am sticking to the caprylic acid and have had no withdrawal symptoms coming off co-codamol which is huge, as I normally have to take 6 a day minimum! X
    • Posted

Hi sharon

if it means not having to take pain killers then it has to be good. 

Hazel x

• Posted

Hello,

I too get frustrated when I can no longer fold my clothes because my shoulders burn so bad! My family is not very supportive of me. And my colleagues don't really seem to care when they hear me sighing and complaining. My condition is getting worse. Can we get on disability at least for a short time?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.