Fibromyalgia & benefits

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has been refused PIP and only awarded him 6 points.  I've asked for a mandatory decision but dont hold out any hope that they will change the decision.  Can anyone on this forum with fibromyalgia tell me if they have been successful with their claim?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was refused with 0 points but had the decision over turned at mandatory reconsideration. i too suffer with fibro. i did supply further supporting evidence though and proved my assessors report to be fictional.

Good luck with your reconsideration.

• Posted

Hi Lynn15036,

I just read your post. I receive pip for my fibromyalgia but I also have some other issues.

Does your husband have any other medical problems if you don't mind me asking.

KS.

• Posted

Hi Kevin

Yes he has extensive spondylosis, degenerative lower disc disease, hiatus hernia, tinnitus with impaired hearing and the beginning of arthritis in both knees, but they only awarded him 6 points.   He also has memory problems associated with his pain, often has problems concentrating and can't hold onto information, but they disagreed, said he answered all questions at assessment, although they were very simple questions.    He doesn't read books or newspapers because he cannot remember what he has read.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, thanks for letting me know this.

The first thing to do is wait for the mandatory decision. When you get that it should tell you about appealing their decision.

You then have time to get any evidence together. First thing is contact your GP ask for a letter detailing your husbands health problems and physical limitations. List of medications how often he takes what he takes.

If you have any other physician's looking after him list them too and you must try get as much evidence as you can.

It's also good practice to keep a diary of your husbands daily living cycle by that I mean everything he can't do. Everyday things he used to do but can longer do.

If you have to bath him dress him feed him etc...

You have go back through the pip daily living and mobility check the scores for each question. Then once you have done that make sure you achieve the scores you feel would grant you pip.

Don't say he can manage something which will give you a nil score. You have to word it as such it can't be ignored. For example. He can walk between 1 metre and 20 metres gives you 10 points I think. But saying he can walk 20 to 50 will not give you enough points .

Also planning the route of a journey if you say he can you get nothing if he needs prompting you get 4 I think.

Daily living try and score between 2 and 4 points on all questions do not answer with sometimes. This will not help your score.

Make a diary of his usual day and tie in the question to how is day usually is with things like pain bathing dressing undressing moving around preparing meals, tell them your his main carer.

I hope this helps

Good luck. KS.

• Posted

Thanks Kevin, that very helpfull.  I'll let you know how we get on.

Lynn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.