Fibula Fracture - getting me down

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 4 weeks post op with a fractured fibula

I have a plate and 8 screws in my leg

I live with my partner and three children (2 teenagers) and I am finding it all a bit hard

I was very active before and now I have lost my independence, and feel like I'm losing my identity. I am taking some heavy duty pain relief and without it I am struggling to even get to the toilet.

I struggle to get to sleep at night and have been sleeping on the floor in the living room for last 4 weeks as the stairs are just to much for me on my own.

Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to get out of this rut and start looking forward

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh how I know those feelings.

Im 7 weeks into a broken fibula, I was also very active. Your mobility will gradually return, keep reminding yourself, I know it's easy to lose sight of that, being stuck in gets easier.

What helped me is keeping busy, I've been learning programming and electronics, anything that keeps your mind busy will really help. In the evenings I'll play some games or watch a movie/box set. Get out whenever you can tho, just going for a coffee keeps me going for days. Treat yourself, I bought myself some hobby related things. A bit of retail therapy can cheer you up. Keep in touch with friends, or catch up with old ones, even just online.

Use painkillers carefully, after 5 weeks I had withdrawals, body aching and flu like feeling for 5/6 days. I'm glad I ran out, I was beginning to take them to ease the boredom if I'm honest.

My sleep is getting better, but I can't really offer any advice, it just took time.

Good luck, Ian, you'll be back on your feet before you know it.

• Posted

That's really pathetic to hear about yourself. Even you can't sleep because of heavy pain. However, my opinion is what the doctor said to you. Did you share your condition with them?

• Posted

Time! I broke the top of my arm 3 weeks ago and I have a 2, 4 and 6 year old also been housebound since, its boring!!!! Just looking forward to getting back to normally and doing simple things to keep myself occupied. Bless you I hope you have a speedy recovery and back to it soon sad The pain should start subsiding soon and you'll be able to get around a little easier, its hard!

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post op of a broken wrist plate and screws and have also been struggling psychologically with the changes to my usual activities. Not as much pain thankfully but I have found the adjustment hard after an active lifestyle. However I have now started on my physio exercises and am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard to accept how slow recovery might be but focusing on what I can do rather than what I can't is helping.

• Posted

I'm in a similar situation but 3 months since my operation at first all I could do was think about getting the cast off but when I did and I was not back to 'usual' I was getting really down so I went for a couple of sessions of clinical hypnotherapy which a doctor friend reccomended, which really helped my confidence I was so shocked to break my wrist normally I am very active and I could not accept being dependent.  I am now able to drive which has really helped too, I do believe that eventually we recover and it becomes a distant memory, hopefully it will never happen again to any of us on this forum . 

• Posted

Hello, DO NOT GIVE UP!  You will make it through!   Look for the tiny nuggets of success each day.  Keep a journal to write down the tiny achievements.  Read through the posts on this website.  Reply to others it might help you feel connected and help you find value in yourself.  Struggle to the toilet is okay.  You just keep going.  Cry if you must.  Take a few minutes or an hour to let it out and keep going!!  Good luck and GOD BLESS you dear!!  You will make it!!     
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear what you are going thru currently I would suggest you do not strain much and take it slow are you using yr crutches to move around yr home ? Do try aqua walking it rebuilds yr muscles.

I met with an accident last year Nov 2016 and I fractured my fibula and tibia implant with one plate and 9 screws. I am a heavy weight person. I find it so difficult to walk as now I am at the 15th week after my op. My hip joint and lower back gets cramped once I start to stand in one area less then 15 mins .... all I did was to cry and feel very sad why I cld not move as per normal after seeing so many others stories I realised that it's all in our mind and heart to overcome this ordeal. So put yr emotions aside and jus work this out

Speedy recovery to you 👍🏻

• Posted

We all have moments where we feel hopeless, but you have to pull through! 

you will come out of this horrible ordeal soon. 

i was in a car accident on 21 feb and have been in an external fixator since, its been bloody hard but im still here and still (mostly) positive. You have to think of the positives - it's hard sometimes but you need your family to be supportive, and yes asking for help and being so dependable on someone else is crap, but what can you do in this situation? i cant walk or even use the toilet i have to poop in a comode and its ridiculous but this accident has taught me alot about myself - that i dont need to plan things, that i can rely on my family etc.. 

just please try to stay positive i know its really hard but you have to, there is literally no other option. 

keep occupied like reading,tv,netflix,colouring anything! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.