Final update (I hope)

Posted , 12 users are following.

So some of you may have my posts and the FS history over the last year, well dont give up people. I have come through the other side, freezing, frozen thawing, MUA, arthroscopy and lots of physion plus listening to my body.

Yesterday I was discharged by my physio, I am almost back to normal, full movement with some pulling but no pain. If I do too much I know about it, but my aim is now to carry on with exercises for strengthening and stretching the muscles etc.

I am so happy to be pain free, I thought that you should know there is always hope of recovery. Thank you for your support.

5 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First of all thank you for taking the time to come back and tell us all, very easy to simply disappear from this awful condition and run as far in the opposite direction and erase all memories and reminders lol!  I am really pleased to hear you have finally come through the other side and wish you all the very best for the future.  
  • Posted

Well I am so glad to hear you are feeling so much better!!  Good luck to you!!  BTW, what is MUA??  I am from the states and I am not familiar with that term, sorry... Leslie
  • Posted

MUA is manipulation under anaesthetic, something you really want to be asleep for eek
    • Posted

Yuk!!  That sounds just awful!!  I hope I never have to have that!!!
    • Posted

MUA can work, though. The thing is that it's just way too risky since you're out cold and have no input. MUA has been known to cause fractures and other kinds of damage. The doctors doing the MUA need to be extremely careful--easier said then done since the patient is out cold and not reactive. Also, that kind of aggressive treatment causes further inflammation which is the opposite of what a person needs when they have frozen shoulder.
  • Posted

PAIN FREE!!!biggrin  Oh I can't wait for that day. Maybe after my  3rd op tomorrow, plus all of what you have had done I will be pain free.lol   At least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for sharing. Best Wishes.
    • Posted

Third operation???? On the same shoulder???? Are you for real??? That is so depressing!!  I saw the doctor and he told me that I have both a frozen shoulder and a tear in my rotator cuff so after they fix the frozen shoulder then I will have to get the rotator cuff fixed.  Yuk!!
    • Posted

Yes third operation on the same shoulder today, this evening. Feb 2014, Oct 2014 and several  guided steroid injections and now another op.  First two Arthroscopic, MUA, and capsular relesase revision today.I have a small tear 1cm on the rotator cuff but not enough to warrant the operation. I am surprised they are not doing your tear first as the shoulder can freeze up after the tear operation. That is why I found meltoadhall thread inspiring. There is an end to it all. Just when? 
    • Posted

I don't know why they are doing the frozen shoulder first but I am seeing a shoulder expert tomorrow to see what he says. He only operates on shoulders and has written several books and journal articles on shoulder surgeries so I expect he knows what he is doing.  I am curious to see whaat he says about my frozen shoulder and rotator cuf tear.  Should be interesting!!
  • Posted

Encouraging news, thank you. One year ago I really thought this was something I was just going to have to live with which made me really feel for people who suffer from chronic conditions throughout their life. I too am on the recovery side of this menacing condition and am not taking my health for granted at all. I still have small niggles & not quite full range of motion in the shoulder and my neck keeps trying to warn me that I better be careful! I look forward to summer in Australia this year as I was in so much pain throughout most of the summer last year with very limited movement in my shoulder and arm, making every day tasks painful, difficult and time consuming. I too do the exercises and stretching several times daily. I can't wait to go swimming again.
  • Posted

Set to have surgery for my FT and bone spur tomorrow morning at 6:00am. I wish I had found this forum sooner. I think I'm going to go ahead and go through with the MUA and after reading this forum I do feel like I am better prepared for what comes after. I feel like it's the same result either way maybe juat a little faster with the MUA. Send me some girl power for the morning. I'll keep y'all posted. 

for back history. Hurt my shoulder a year ago, maybe playing tennis, can't really pint point it to anything. Pain didn't start getting unbareable until about 3 months ago. Zingers (drop to my knees in pain and tears), Sleepless nights, Loss of motion, etc. Basically just started using my left hand for things that I would normally do with my right hand because the pain was so bad. Had a cortizone shot and did PT for a month & 1/2. MRI showed no tears so that was good. I wish I knew my range numbers from my PT but I'll get those so I can add to this forum and track hopeful prorgess. Dr says I do have a bone spur that might have caused this too but no way to tell for sure. He will sand down the bone spur during the surgery.

Anyway, best of luck to all of you suffering for FS.   

• Posted

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Keep us posted on your progress as nothing happens quickly with these conditions. I am 6 weeks out from my surgery where 3 procedures were done at one time - bone spur shaved down, small rotator cuff repaired, and frozen shoulder released - still in physical therapy and will be for the next 6 weeks ( a total of 12 weeks needed).  BUT I am feeling so much better. Frozen shoulder gone and pain almost gone except a little sore when I sleep at night.  Yay!
    • Posted

I check this forum every so often to see if there are any new ideas of what caused our FS in the first place. It baffles me that we all have different circumstances that have lead to FS. Anyway, I'm getting better and I hope you are too. It's a slow process but it's moving in the right direction. I saw the ortho doctor today for a check up and he's happy with the progress I'm making. I just have to keep doing the pt work. I can sleep on the bad arm side now whereas prior to surgery, which was Dec 4th, up until about a week ago I could not sleep on it. I have little signs of accomplishments such as today when I was able to reach up into the microwave with my FS arm. I'm waiting for the day that I can easily shave under my other arm - right now my FS arm does reach that far. Ha Ha. It's the little things I guess. Take care all and keep doing the pt work. Peace! 
  • Posted

Update on my FS. I had the MUA on Dec 4th. Today is Jan 4. Honestly, after the surgery I felt no different and had no better range of motion than before it. I was question why did I do the suregyer. I started pt a week after surgery and it hurt so bad! Was relying on pain pills to make it through each day. I did 3 pt sessions in a row on Dec 14, 15, & 16h in preperation for my vacation to Costa Rica. I was feeling better this week and could even touch the top of my head with my palm. I had increased my range by 15 degrees one way and 23 degrees in another and my pain was less then usual. Then I went to Costa Rica and spent a week with no paved roads, waves hitting my arm, and just constant use that caused so much pain. I was back up to 4 -5 pain pills a day to make it through the vacation. When I got back home I called the dr to see if I could get a cortizone shot or something to help with the pain. They told me to start taking the Napraxon anti inflamitory again and let my arm rest in a sling a little each day. I did and I think it's helping but the Napraxon does upset my stomach a little. Last week I went and got a massage early in the moring and then had my pt that afternoon. That was one of the most painful days and I was starting to regret getting that deep tissue massage but a few days later and now I think I'm benefiting from it. I can finally say that I am starting to feel better. No, I don't have full range of motion back yet and yes I still have pain and restless nights but I can tell that I'm currently bettter than before the surgery. I have 2 pt sessions tihis week scheduled. I think I just really overdid it in Costa Rica and that set me back a litle bit but I feel like I'm back on a good track. I think the key is to work hard at your pt when you are doing it but also give your arm some time to rest and relax to heal too. I'm not sure if I'll go back and get another massage. Maybe just 30 minutes instead of an hour. This massage girl was at a chiropracters office and she really knew what she was doing.  Oh 1 other thing I did the night before that massage was I went to my gym and got in the hot tub and moved it all around and let the jets hit the sore spots. That felt really good and I will try to do that at least once a week. 

I hope that my experience so far is helpful to someone needing it. Good luck to you all. I can't wait to be able to play tennis again. That's my goal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.