Finally a diagnosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

After all the tests since July and my last bone marrow aspiration and blood work it was confirmed that I do not meet the criteria for Polycythemia Ruba Vera. It was confirmed I have a secondary Polycythemia due to my lung diagnosis of copd. My cat scan showed small blood clots in my one lung so therefore I was put immediately on Xarel a blood thinner medication. The Hemotologist indicated that I don't need to have phlebotomy's. I am to have rivaroxaban therapy due to the diagnoses of pulmonary embolism, and my copd inhalers. My blood will be checked frequently for now. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

At least now you know and getting treatment. Hope you won't worry as much now that you have had a diagnosis. Best wishes
    • Posted

Thankyou Clem. I think the worst part of all of this testing is the wondering just what it is, what causes it, what treatment will I have. I enjoy this forum very much and thought I may not qualify to even be here to compare notes. It is Polycthemia so hopefully I can still be part of this wonderful group.
    • Posted

It's something we need but at same time, we wish we didn't .
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that, but happy for you, that you now be able to get treatments and monitoring.

• Posted

Hope that when you get the treatment your Pv goes. 

Best wishes for the future 

• Posted

IEllen, I'm so happy you finally got a diagnosis. I'm sure you are also happy to be on a good treatment for your problems. I'm saying aprayer that the clots dissapear.

Good wishes,

harrishill

• Posted

Thankyou for the support that this forum has given to me! I am happy as well. My primary Doctor gave me a copy of the report from the Hemotologist. It was interesting to read, however a lot was sure over my head. I forgot to ask a question. Does anyone know what causes my face and especially my hands to get sooooo red. The colour changes during the day. Sometimes not so red then later on to be so red. I have read that is a trademark of Polythycemia which my blood disorder is but secondary. What would cause this. At times it's very embarrassing when a total stranger will say , your hands are  so red. I get this comment a lot. Especially if I am paying for a purchase using my debit card. Does anyone know on this forum?
    • Posted

My opinion would be Red blood cells are being produced in excess. That would explain the red colour. If your doctor did a cbc blood test this would show up. Still dont take my words at face value and ask your doctor to be sure.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I do know my red blood cells are high. I see the oncologist next Tuesday who will have the cbc done one hr before I see him. Due to my JAK being a negative and the confirmation that my bone marrow was not what was causing the overproduction of red blood cells it was diagnosed as a secondary Polycytemia. The plumanary test revealed this. I also had a recent cat scan in emergency because I was having difficulty breathing and passing out. That test revealed small clots in my lung. I was then placed on blood thinners. The Hemotologist refered me back to my family Doctor. Next week will give an indication of how high my red blood cells are. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.