Finally diagnosed....but

Posted , 7 users are following.

When I was 18, I started having issues. That year I had my first colonoscopy, and the dr took a biopsy that suggested crohns, but due to insurance I couldn't do any other test to confirm. I managed to stabilize on my own for about 8.5 years. But last august I started having all the symptoms back. Went in and had an MRI done and another colonoscopy in December. My gastro told me, while I had some markers he wasn't convinced. So, today, after suffering with nausea for the last 11 months I finally got back in to see him. That's when he told me, with my biopsy, my positive MRI and my erosion on the colonoscopy that I was officially diagnosed as crohns.

Now he wants to run an ultrasound on my gallbladder and do an upper endoscopy to make sure it hasn't affected anywhere else. (MRI shows thickening of the illieum)

How many people have had nausea, sharp stabbing and back pain as gallbladder issues? I'm just curious if he's on the right track, my insurance is awful and can't afford to spend more money than necessary

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Well I have symptoms of Crohns although not officially diagnosed yet. I just wanted to say that I have been suffering for years and I also had gall bladder problems which ended up in my having my gall bladder removed. The attacks were horrendous!
  • Posted

Hello they usually have to rule out gallbladder as pain site can be similar. My terminal ileum was affected and I had endoscopy/colonoscopy, it is a very difficult area to reach but with ct and MRI showing thickening or narrowing the diagnosis can be made. Everyone's experience with Crohn's is different, it is not a one size fits all unfortunately. I never had nausea, just a random pain upper right tummy, took a long while to be definitely diagnosed and had four years symptom free before it started up again when the narrowing and inflammation wouldn't settle down. I had steroids for a while then I got an abscess, finally it was decided to remove the bit of small bowel, that was 3.5 years ago, been in remission ever since but unfortunately have bile salts malabsorption as a direct result of the op, if it wasn't for that these last few years would have been great.

Gallbladder problem can cause severe pain in the area you mention so it does need to be ruled out. Good luck

• Posted

I officially have Crohn's Colitis...yes, gall bladder can definitely make one nauseous with awful pain stabs to the back.

Perhaps your insurance will be more cooperative if you go to a university associated medical center. hugs

• Posted

Sounds like quite the rollercoaster ride you've had. I have Crohns and no gall bladder issues that I'm aware of at least, although the two for some reason can go hand in hand and it's common.

Nausea is a big problem for me and clearly it can happen independent of gall issues. It would be difficult to separate which is Crohns and which is gall though. This is what's tough about gastro issues - there's rarely a definitive answer...which sucks!

Good luck and keep pushing on.

Matt

• Posted

Hi,

Hope you get the diagnoses you are wanting as soon as possible.

I've had pain for a few years now but only occasionally really bad so didn't actually think much into it. Until I went on holiday in Sept 2016 and had the worst flare up possible. Was non stop sick, non stop going to to the toilet and the pain was unbareable. It wasn't a sharp pain, it was more like a wave of pain that comes over me, causing me to sweat and shake.

I went to the doctors as soon as I got back and have just been diagnosed this month with Crohns after having blood tests, colonoscopy and an MRI scan.

Blood tests showed high inflammation, all 24 biopsies taken during the colonoscopy showed inflammation as well as the MRI scan.

I ended up going to A&E as I was in so much pain and it did seem to make the process go a lot quicker.

My Dad also has colitis as well so I do know these types of illnesses run in the family, so not sure if this is something to do with my fast diagnose.

Hope all goes well for you xxxx

• Posted

Hi,

Hope you get the diagnoses you are wanting as soon as possible.

I've had pain for a few years now but only occasionally really bad so didn't actually think much into it. Until I went on holiday in Sept 2016 and had the worst flare up possible. Was non stop sick, non stop going to to the toilet and the pain was unbareable. It wasn't a sharp pain, it was more like a wave of pain that comes over me, causing me to sweat and shake.

I went to the doctors as soon as I got back and have just been diagnosed this month with Crohns after having blood tests, colonoscopy and an MRI scan.

Blood tests showed high inflammation, all 24 biopsies taken during the colonoscopy showed inflammation as well as the MRI scan.

I ended up going to A&E as I was in so much pain and it did seem to make the process go a lot quicker.

My Dad also has colitis as well so I do know these types of illnesses run in the family, so not sure if this is something to do with my fast diagnose.

Hope all goes well for you xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.