Finally getting somewhere!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

my doctor finally conceded that the statin drug, might have made me ill, he also said that my last blood test showed my kidneys were working very hard, when i told him my symptoms hes ordered further blood tests!

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

well....i only took one statin so, what can be done? it was 40 mg, but if u have an extreme adverse reaction, its sort of fait? ive had 4 trips to a&e worried about my heart where the ecg came back fine, and i think that has stopped me being taken seriously with my symptoms due to the anxiety disorder i have, but i also know how ill in general i have felt, faint, dizzy, liquid on my left chest, and in my ear sensitive with massive out of breathness, and the doctor has finally took notice, and commented which he didnt tell me tht my kidney function was working very hard when i had my test took 2 weeks ago, since then things havent improved.aswell as this my white blood cells were raised which usually indicates a virus, now it just so happens that all these symptoms occured after i take a statin 40mg, aswell as muscle twitches and cramps and weakness. He did not think cardiomyopathy was involved as the ecg's were ok, but ive been given fluxetine which im skeptical of taking as i dont want more coq10 depleted...
    • Posted

If you are worried about your heart and the ECG comes back normal, perhaps you are having panic attacks.  1 40mg pill is not really indicative enough to say whether that has caused your issues or not
  • Posted

i was having panic attacks...but ive also felt ill for three weeks, with panic unrelated symptoms, such as liquid on the chest, and fatigue as well as breathlessness, 24 hours a day walkin up and down stairs while i am calm, this is the argument i have been having with doctors, and when i say getting there a doctor is finally conceding and entertaining my physical symptoms, i believe it is very dangerous for a person to stigmatise the phsyical symptoms of someone based on previous panic attacks, like i said my kidneys and other symptoms indicte a lack of functioning so we will see what the tests come back as, myopathy is also not exactly detectable is it? and I know how unlikely it is one statin would do this/ but how can i help it if it has done this? do i not deserve help with symptoms and for them to be investigated, or should i just get thrown in as a panic patient...i know my own body and i know something is not right, when were muscle spasms and tenderness, day in day out a symptom of panic attacks?
    • Posted

If you have fluid on your chest, then really, you should be in hospital. Why are you walking up and down stairs 24hrs a day. Again, if you have fluid on your chest, your lungs will not be functioning properly. Myopathy affects the skeletal muscles,  if you have Uremic Myopathy, again you should be in hospital.  If your GP will/cannot help you change GP's.  If that is not possible and you have difficuly breathing, go to your local A&E, they will not turn you away if you are struggling to breath.  Muscle spasms will cause tenderness, because they are working overtime.  If you are having a panic attack, you could be bunching up your body, over a small period of time if you don't/ cannot relax, your muscles will tense up.  If you still don't/cannot they willget tighter and tighter.  Do some deep breathing exercises, you can do this sitting down, but don't slouch.  Good luck
    • Posted

im not walking up and down the stairs 24 hours a day i meant the breathlesness was 24 hours a day, whenever i do walk up and down the stairs my heart races very fast and i get very very dizzy nd faint, and my heartbeat is shallow, i have had around 4 trips to a and e and each time they just do an ecg and say that im having panic attacks, even when my heart rate is very high its all pt down to anxiety, they dont think one statin would do this, and think its all panic symptoms my doctor said cardiomyopathy and myopathy are not usually acute they are usually long term of taking a statin, but he has now conceded that my kidney are functioning but working very hrd this was 2 weeks ago when bloods were done, and he said ur symptoms id like to do more blood tests as it could be to do with kidneys, he claims ecg show almost all problems with heart, so i should take comfort in that, like i say its extremely difficult to get people to listen to you when you suffer with panic attacks and to think that maybe one statin can affect you like this, but it has, even in the blood tests its given me at the very least a virus reduced kidney function. a and e actually said they would not do an ecg, because i have a panic disorder, then....they done 2, after teh first one and even spoke on the phone to a consultant and told me everything was fine hmmm, why would they do 2 and then have to speak to a consultant when they werent even going to do one, my 140, 160, and 100 rest heart rate was all put down to panic and anxiety even when i try to explain i have felt that fast heart rate for 3 weeks, when walkin g and cannot walk very far without feeling sick and faint and dizzy! A & E is an absolute joke the problem is is my symptoms come in waves, and do get better sometimes, earlier today i was experiencing severe flushing and when i took my heart it was fast and faint, while laid in bed, feeling like i was going to pass out, i didnt in the end. what im trying to explain is that as soon as i took that statin 2 hours later i had cramps in my hand, then my muscle spasmd, i even had brain fog and had trouble remembering things i was focusing on, wow all symptoms of long term use, my muscles were tender very tender, i go to the gym and it was like id done a really hard workout that i hadnt done in weeks, even felt injured. problem i dont get took serious because, one it is unlikely a statin can do this in genereal most gps wont even admit long term use of statins and 2 ive had panic attacks, which have been made worse by these symptoms, even if i go to doctors with a 200 heart rate, it will only be put down to nxiety.
  • Posted

You could try taking another 40 mg. Sim, under dr. supervision, and see what happens....or maybe only 10 mg this time, based on your reaction last time.  If that was truly the culprit, you'll know really fast!  And with only a 1/4 dose, you should not have any damaging reactions, only indicative ones.

All the evidence out there says that for most people it takes a period of time of repeated exposure to the statins, daily, for their side effects to kick in.  Usually a continued buildup of the drug in your body needs to occur for both the positive AND negative effects to happen - your body begins to acclimate to it, and therein lies the rub.  And the side effects.   Body parts - and critical internal balances - begin to break down under the continuous onslaught of the drug.

But if you're allergic to it, that all goes out the window, as allergic reactions happen very promptly.  

• Posted

i was also on a steroid not a four or five days before that might have interreacted and maybe caused it to be in my blood stream more?, anyway, i wouldnt take another one now, no way im still suffering the effects. Doctors dont know enough about drug interaction to say that its that, but maybe thats why it has hit me straight away, oxandrolone.
    • Posted

Dosages of drugs are highly variable - they tell us what to take and we take it.  But last time I talked with my heart doctor we had a discussion about "titrating" your dosage, in this case of my Enalypril, which has had negative effects on my blood pressure, one of its side effects.  Changes needed to happen, I was not functioning correctly at the standard dosage.  (I came to find out that fighter pilots are not allowed in the air in the military's million dollar planes if they take ANY blood pressure medication.)

Titrating your dosage is playing with it for best results based on your particular body.  Many people are overdosing themselves daily with standard issue dosages, where their bodies are actually sensitive to certain drugs and actually only require a fraction of the standard dosage to obtain the desired results.

I didn't coin the word "titrating", BTW.  The medical community did.  It rolled off my cardiologist's tongue like rainwater off a duck's back.  Obviously that word has been around a while.

• Posted

That said, I respect your decision to not do it again.  These statins are not to be trifled with.
  • Posted

Hi. I haven't been on for a while, so I have some catching up to do. Be very careful with the statins, especially simvastatin, which is lipophilic and can cross into your brain and mess up your brain's supply of cholesterol. Please remember that your brain considers cholesterol important enough that it makes its own, and that 25% of the cholesterol in your body is found in your brain. My veterans administration people here in the U.S. had me on 40mg and 80mg of simvastatin. It made my carpal tunnel symptoms a lot worse, so I took more aspirin to tone them down, which covered up a lot of muscle pain (especially after I built up to 20 or more aspirin per day). I know people who have developed frozen shoulder symptoms due to their statin and people who could barely go up and down the stairs in their own house due to muscle and joint pain that was caused by their statin. Myself, the simvastatin made me increasingly angry and irritable over time,  messed up my memory, then started affecting my balance (I would trip over my own feet) and my bowels (virtually unannounced, uncontrollable, extremely explosive diarrhea). Statins sap your energy levels as well.

While not everyone has a bad reaction to statins, do remember that most people are not allergic to penicillin, either.  However, if you are highly allergic to penicillin, it can be deadly. Also remember that the first statin was taken off the market because it killed too many people. Statins have also been reported to be connected with congestive heart failure (look up Dr. Peter Langsjoen's research) and interstitial lung disease.  

Anyway, please be very careful. Many younger doctors are ignorant of the side effects of the statins because almost none of them are listed in the "Introduction to Pharmacology" textbooks used in medical and nursing schools. I know this because took such a class online through my local community college system four years ago and the only side effects mentioned for the statins were the possibility of muscle pain/problems and the possibility of liver problems.

• Posted

i wont be taking anymore i only took one, but like i say this one has absolutely knocked me for six for 3 weeks now and im worried just how serious this is where i cant walk without my heart racing and going very dizzy problem is its all put down to anxiety - not true
  • Posted

Sir, If you are truly worried, please go to the A&E or even your local walk-in.  Explain that your heart is racing, they are obliged to take you seriously.  If all is well, they will perhaps advise you who you cvan speak with next.  The more you are worrying, the worse your sysmptoms will be.  You can search and search on the internet and read everything out there and all that will happen is you will scare yourself into an early grave.  A little information to the un-informed can be very dangerous and scary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.