Finally had LTKR today.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Had my op today aT last hope the recovery will be just as good. Surgeon said it takes 6 months to a year for full recovery, one day at a time so onwards and upwards. 😣

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congratulations!

Everything will be good! Be patient, REST as much as you can, and don't worry about a thing!

Keep us posted on your progress, OK?

Sending prayers of calm, strength, and patience tonight!😊💖

• Posted

Welcome to the club!  It is too early for you to be on this site.  Think positive, you may just surprise yourself and sail through rehab and be running everyone around you ragged trying to keep up with you.

• Posted

Good luck Nuala, hope you will have good day tomorrow.

Lots of love

Grace

• Posted

Wishing you all the best for a speedy easy recovery, Nuala. Where are you, Nuala? 
    • Posted

Thanks everyone. I know it's not going to be easy but feel positive Attitude is best at this time and work through the pain!! Anne 07663

I'm in Ireland but op in Kilkenny X

• Posted

Nuala, I have an ex sister in law named Nuala and she is from County cork. I've never met another Nuala. biggrin
    • Posted

Anne it's an I rush name noto too popular. It's from the I rush Fioinnghual meaning'fair shoulder' mam saud she called me after a journalist who wrote in the Evening Newspaper. Hope u r well, my profile started this morning it was gruelling, got an 80 degree bend with great difficulty. 😕
    • Posted

Best wishes for a speedy recovery👍😄 80' is great! I left hospital on April 21st with a 70' bend and the physio was very happy with that so 80' is great! Today I had my clips out after a really good hydrotherapy session. This is my second TKR and it's going 100% better than the first eg less pain, better movement etc and I'm soooo much happier, although I must say that eventually I was very pleased with my first knee but it just was a longer, much painful process!

Keep positive Nuala😄

• Posted

Well done you,  keep up the good work, you are so positive.  Hydrotherapy sessions are so good for getting you back on the road of normality.  Makes physio almost enjoyable :-)
  • Posted

They say six months to year, but I had both knees done and it was nowhere near that long.

I drove to my physio appointment after 2 weeks. Didn't use sticks around the house or garden at all, my bend wasn't as good as yours, 80% is great. :-)

One of the older nurses at the hospital told me an old tip to get more mobile faster.

Sit on a high chair, put cushions on to stop your feet touching the floor, and swing your leg, it stretches the cut muscle, and stops the tight feeling a lot faster.

It helped me a lot with my first knee, and I did it with my second TKR.

I got my knees working very quickly.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice Suzy. Will try your suggestion, fingers crossed, xx
  • Posted

Thinking about you and the road ahead. I'm 6 weeks post op and although been hard I am so gld I had it done, leg so much better than before. Rest as much as you can, take your pain meds regularly before pain gets on top of you and yes keep up with physio, I did scream at my physio day 3 I couldn't do it an go away....did he?  no!! I am looking forward to l xong walks again. The one thing i do find tough is difficulty sleeping. All the best for ur recovery
    • Posted

Thank you Sue for your supportive words and encouragement. Keep up the good work! ! I'm finding physio (day1 ) very difficult the pain has brought me to tears, I've had a lot of pain med today and still in pain so icing knee now, just hope it will get better the pain is quite indescribable and so intense, best wishes and hugs from Ireland. X
    • Posted

Keep icing Nuala, I still do as it relieves my knee especially first thing in morning and after physio, i found day 3 my toughest, so keep on top of the meds. I am 6 weeks now and feeling good benefits. If the pain is bad ask for more medication, best wishes, and hugs from up north of Ireland x
    • Posted

By the time I had my second knee done, I knew the pain when you try to bend was going to be bad, but transient.

It goes, slowly, day by day. Give it a few weeks, and do your physio, that's so important to get as much bend as possible.

If your knee pain was bad before, you'll be so glad you had it done, honestly you will.x.

• Posted

Hi Suzy, I agree, I am so glad I had my op too, even from I woke up from the op the pain was a totally different pain and i know it is a healing pain. It does go slowly and day by day lessons. I know I will need other knee done eventually and this has not put me off, been a hard few weeks but so worth it. I'm only 50 and so looking forward to getting my life back to being a little better.

How long between your two ops. x

• Posted

Two and a half years, I had my second one done last August.

The pain beforehand was unbelievable,my knee kept dislocating and I had to pop it back.

The second one just was so bad it wouldn't bend, I wasn't at all worried about the second one and the physio had me up and trying steps the first day.

No problems apart from post op pain for a week or two, but like you say, it is an expected healing pain.

Once you can build up your walking slowly, you won't look back..X.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.