Finally I will be put on prednisone for my PMR what to ask?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All

I have had PMR since November but my rheumy wanted to make sure I really had PMR before she put me on prednisone.  Fair enough.  I had one steroid injection in Jan which helped hugely (I went from feeling 2 up to feeling 6 out of 10).  The steroid injection is wearing off as I feel so stiff in my shoulders and hips.  Ouch.  Anyway I see my rheumy on Weds and I am sure she will finally diagnose PMR and put me on 15 pred.  The apt are always so rushed although I see her for about 1/2 hour.  Please help me.  What questions need to be asked?  like what vitamins do I need to take.  Some of you mention magnesium, vit D, etc.  Also what are the measurements they will keep track of with my blood test like erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

plasma viscosity (PV)

C-reactive protein (CRP)

I think from all of you with your true pain of PMR and living with it probably know more than the rheumatologists so I will do the dead slow method of reducing pred.  Will I need to take naproxen any longer?  

One last question - did anyone else get nosebleeds on Naproxen?  

A huge thank you to everyone as all your comments are helpful and worthwhile.  I mention PMR to everyone I meet (almost) and it is amazing to find how many other people have it.  Maybe if it is recognized more we could get treated faster which would save alot of pain and frustration.

Once again thank you in advance.

Whitefishbay

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi naproxen does nothing at all for pmr I was taken that before being diagnosed last year as soon as I started 15mg pred I stopped taking it and within a day I was free of pain and stiffness. I was also already taking vit D having been diagnosed deficient a few years earlier I think this was a reason they looked at pmr for me sooner as symptoms are very similar . I find this site more useful than my rheumatologist to be honest , he never does blood checks or anything , he just asks how I am doing and even though I say I've been tired or had to up my dose he says I'm happy with that keep doing what your doing and I will see you again in a few months let's hope you have better luck with yours 

best wishes Molly

• Posted

Thanks Molly.  I am on Naproxen for the inflammation but only until I get the prednisone.  

Yes I too believe you all know way more how to deal with PMR than the docs.  You all live it.  The prob with the consultants is they are too busy and unless you fall on the floor they just see you and on to the next one.  C'est la NHS but I have been lucky so far. 

Thank  you again. 

• Posted

Molly I must have the same Rhumy as you , he never takes blood test , never asks to see me unless I ring his nurse and say I Havnt seen Rhumy in 12 months ,then when I see him he says continue what you are doing ,but try to reduce your PRD ..........what a waste of time going to see him to be honest , 

take care Karen 

• Posted

In my experience, the Rheumy's have few answers to your questions.  Everything I care to know, I've learned from this site.  

Many my folks here have no evidence of elevated CRP or Sed Rate.  I am one of those. What I have tried to do is to stick to an anti-inflammatory diet to keep down both inflammation and weight gain.  Hard to say if the diet helps the inflammation, but I have held my weight.  Beyond that, after seeing four different docs, what i now know is that there is no known cause and no known cure.  Prednisone eases the inflammation but cures nothing.  And so we wait.  He may tell you PMR lasts an average of two years.  I am in my second with fingers crossed.  Down to 5mg of prednisone and flaring all the time...mostly shoulders these days.

• Posted

Let me add that if I take a modest amount of ibuprofen in the middle of the night I feel much better in the morning.  I have also found naproxen helpful for periodic pain
  • Posted

The most reliable "test" for PMR is to see if it responds to prednisone. You apparently did with the local injections although typically a short course of oral prednisone is prescribed if the doctor is not certain. Most doctors will monitor CRP and ESR although about 20% of patients do no have elevated inflammation levels in their blood. Naproxen should be discountinued as NSAIDs do not help with this pain and can cause ulcers and reduce blood clotting factor. (I don't take now but I did get nosebleeds from low dose aspirin). Prednisone is also hard on the stomach so many doctors suggest takiing an antacid such as omeprazole or ranitidine. Vitamin D and/or calcium are recommended to help prevent osteoporosis (also a pred side effect). You should also be aware of GCA symptoms as they can develop along with PMR. You can get loads of info from websites such as the Mayo Clinic, American College of Rheumatology or webMD. I actually diagnosed myself this way before I saw my doctor, and I had never heard of the condition before. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hello whitefishbay, you know there's a very easy way to tell if you have pmr or not and that is to see if you respond to 15mgs of prednisolone, so I am concerned already as to how much pmr knowledge your rheumy has?

however, if they do think you have pmr then the customary medication is 15mgs for 6 weeks, 12.5mgs for 6 weeks then 10mgs for anything up to a year. I was on 10mgs for 6 months. Then at 10mgs many if us then start the dead slow and almost stop method and if you're very sensitive like me I only ever reduce by .5mgs so my reduction is even slower.

many clinicians like to also prescribe omeprazole for our stomachs. Well, this drug has problems if it's own so many of us ditch these tablets and take our preds with plenty of yogurt that lines our stomach and if like me you don't eat breakfast eat a biscuit. 

Steriods are not good for our bones and there is a possibility that you could fall foul of that side effect, however, I take RDA amounts of Vit d, calcium and magnesium, although I do know that many on this site have  these drugs prescribed for them. 

One drug that some clinicians like to hand out like sweets is alendronic acid. I took this drug for 11 months before finding this forum quite by chance and this drug was being discussed. I then looked up this drug on line and was horrified with its side effects. So if this drug is prescribed I would request a bone density scan prior to taking it. Establish a base line for your density and then take it if you require it, but if you don't need to then don't. The vit d, calcium and magnesium should all help with your bones. Then there's the weight bearing exercises. Walking, etc, this helps hugely with bone density so always try and get in as much gentle exercise as possible.

naproxen is an anti inflammatory drug and once on preds you should not need this drug because the preds, if you are on the correct dose, should be dampening all the bodies inflamation. Not sure if this drug is the same as ibuprofen, but if it is then this drug should be avoided at all costs when taking preds, they are not good bed fellas.

i also have  blood tests with my gp every 3 months. They test for all sorts including esr and Crp, but not everyone has raised esr or crp levels, but if you do then it does help dr's to see if the preds are doing their job and keeping these levels normal.

don't allow your treatment plan to be rushed, it will end in tears. The schedule I have given you is gold standard treatment so follow that.

all the best for your appointment and do keep us informed as to your diagnosis and treatment. Regards, tina

• Posted

As the others say 15mg of pred should work wonders within days if not hours. I just take vit D and calcium supplement in addition which is recommended due to possible pred side effects. Although I had a blood test which showed me vit D deficient. I have become a diet bore since getting PMR, my friends must be fed up with me! You should have a Dexascan to check your bone density if it is decided you should stay on pred. My rheumy did not organise blood tests I just arrange them every so often at my GP's surgery. The nurse and I decide which blood tests to take! In addition to ESR and CRP I also occasionally have Full Blood Test, U&E, glucose and vit D, possibly others I have left out, every so often. I used to have ESR and CRP every month but have extended them to every three months if results are OK. 

I did get some bad nosebleeds before PMR was diagnosed, but I was not taking Naproxen. 

• Posted

Good advie on here already.  If you get 15 mg pred and it works as expected do not even consider starting taper for five or six weeks, and not more than 1 mg per week. Go much more slowly once you hit 10 mg.  Naproxyn - used to take it for migraine.  Miraculous drug.  Until I had a major gastric bleed.  (This was long before  PMR and pred.)  Will never take it or its relatives again.  Have never had a problem with plain old aspirin.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga

I went to doctor this morning for the follow up of PMR. I am on 12.50mg from tomorrow onwards. Keeps the finger cross for me and hope for the best. 

I have checked with the doctor about the AA and because I am on the Pred for PMR and I needed to stay on AA until I get off Pred. So adcalD3 is to protect the bone at the moment, it looks like AA and Adcal are protecting bone density as Pred is trying to takeaway from bone structure. (Did I said it right? Please correct me if I am wrong) 

these are the follow up with what we were discussing a few days ago.

need to have a blood test again tomorrow. My last esr reading was 39

• Posted

Hi Lee, have you been diagnosed with low bone density? Have you had a Dexascan? If not it is a good idea to check first before going onto AA. You can only take AA for five years so it is silly to take it when you don't need it. 
    • Posted

I had bone density checked a few years back and the result was below the blue line. With the Pred now it seems better to stay on AA just incase. My doctor said once I am clear of the Pred then we can look into the AA. Many thanks for the concerns. 👍👍
    • Posted

If you have a bone density problem and already have had your bone density tested that seems fine. As I said you should not stay on AA more than five years but I am sure your doctor knows that.
  • Posted

Like you, I am surprised by how many people have had PMR and also by the fact that no one else has ever heard of it.  Strange.

The only thing I'd add to the other replies is to have a contingency plan- what to do if 15 mg does not have a huge effect in a day (maybe 2), so you don't get stuck in pain over a weekend. (This kind of thing always happens on a weekend.)  I had to go to 20 mg or even 25 to get relief.  My doctor was concerned that this meant I did not have PMR, though otherwise I was a texbook case. I definitely have PMR, I just needed more prednisone to get it under control at the beginning.

If you can manage the effect prednisone has on the bones with calcium and vitamin D, that is great. I already had osteoporosis, so  I had a treatment of Reclast, which you do only once a year.   

Some doctors act like the prednisone should "cure" the PMR.  It doesn't, it just reduces the symptoms. So you can't expect the PMR to go away because you take pred- as Eileen says, it will last as long as it lasts- and that is how long you'll have to take prednisone.  Many doctors have a set timetable for eliminating prednisone, rather than reacting to how the patient is responding. They have good intentions- prednisone can cause problems and we all want to get off it as soon as possible.  But not so soon that you are in misery from the PMR!

I find the doctor can understand and respondto my questions in less time if I have them written down. 

I hope you have a doctor who listens to you!  Good luck!

• Posted

The hospital just cancelled my apt so need to find a new rheumatologist that I can actually get in and see.  I did have an emerg prednisone prescrption which I have filled and will start today (can I take 5mg at night with a meal) and have 10 mg in the morning?

So so tearly and fed up with being cancelled last minute.  Just shameful.  The do not care that I am so still I cannot go up stairs hardly.  

• Posted

Whitefishbay, do try and take the prescription all at once, in the morning. It can be taken as you say but try it all at once first.

do you have a primary dr that can see you? Not every patient in GB sees a rheumatologist.bregards, tina

• Posted

When I got my prescription it was filled mid afternoon.  I went straight home, got a snack and took my 15mg all at once.  Had no plans to wait until the next morning!  I didn't know how quickly it would work.  Within six hours I could detect an improvement.  By the third morning when I got out of bed and was puttering around I realized I had not had to plan how to get up.  I'd just got out of bed in a normal way without having to plan every painful movement.  Apparently it's perfectly fine to take the first dose late in the day and then start the proper early morning routine the next day, but at the time I didn't know that and actually phased in my time of dose by making it earlier each day by a couple of hours until I got to about 7 am.  Always make sure to have something to eat and drink.
    • Posted

Like Tina-uk, I suggest that you just take it all when you get it, then take it in the morning too.  I never needed to split the dose; others who are taking pred but have a hard time in the morning will do this or will take it all in late evening.  The truly dedicated get up at about 2 am and take it, since the maximum effect is about 4 hours after taking the pill.

15 mg is not that high a dose- my rheumatologist thought I might have GCA, and started me at 60 mg- so don't worry that taking 15 mg when you get the Rx filled means you can't go on a regular morning schedule the next day.

I hope you are much, much better in 24 hours or less!  

I am shaking my fist at your rheumatologist in solidarity with you!!  Maybe good riddance if you had typical PMR symptoms and she did not try the oral prednisone first, but you deserve better treatment.

• Posted

As i mentioned before many of us split the dose. I was taking 5mg at 5pm but now at 3pm since pains started to return in the afternoon and am much better.

As one person stated prednisone relives the pain but we syill deal wirh all the other symptoms. As for bone density pills my GP said forget it but rumi wants me on even though my bones scans are great. I tried the 1 a week pill and was sick all weekend with flu like symptoms so no way.

Alot of patients were discussing the side effects on this site and frightening. I take my vitamins and eat and drink milk products like i own the cow.😆

Try splitting your dose.

• Posted

If your dose doesn't last 24 hours, do split.  I take 2/3rds at 5am after small dish of natural yog to line the stomach which I take to bed and is when I wake and then take the remainder at 5pm. I then go  back to sleep.  Then I am PMR pain free. Before, I was waking at 2am in real pain, then waiting till breakfast to take pred and I could hardly walk by that time.  As soon as I was split, all was well! My GP had never heard of splitting the dose but has taken it on board. Good luck..
    • Posted

BUT Whitefishbay, follow the adive of Tina to at least start in the traditional way.  Most of us are fine with a single dose, the people who split are in the minority.  You won't know which group you are in until you start.  And it may well be that you'll be fine.  Or rather than splitting you may need 20 mg.  Again, you won't know until you try.  Good luck, and do let us know how it goes.  
    • Posted

oh for an edit button.  advice of course....

• Posted

Yes, agree with you?

Based on my experience after trying both ways - splitting the dose of Pred and/or taking all at once, it works better for me to take it all at once at breakfast time.

This is one more thing showing us how much we are all different!.

🌸

• Posted

I did not mean the interrogation mark ' yes, I agree with you. ' Sorry.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.