Firm Lump under the skin near Belly Button?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello!

I'm new here. I'm sorry if I do anything wrong. I was just looking for some help identifying a lump under my belly button. It's just under the skin, in the fatty tissues, yet it feels firm, like a green bean, say. It's longer than it is wide but it's not very big. Maybe two fingers long, and not quite one wide. 

I've noticed it for the past 2 or so weeks and I am unsure if it is getting bigger. So it either isn't or isn't growing quickly. 

I have anxiety disorder so seeing a Doctor is nerve wrecking, nevermind when I have to try and find something that even I have trouble finding sometimes. If you press down alone it is hard to find, but if you pinch you can find it. It moves under your fingers. 

I am unsure if it is a fatty/calcium deposit, limpoma, something more serious... I'd just like some help, please. 

Thank you!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

On the face of it I would suggest that either Lipoma or possibly a small hernia! Very difficult to help as I am no doctor. I do understand your fears but if there is any way that you can get a doctor to check it out that would always be best. If it is not bothering you just keep an eye on it and if it gets bigger or more uncomfortable seek medical help. I have arond 50 lipomas of which only a handful really bother me. In themselves they are not life threatening.

Hope that helps in some small way.

Bill

• Posted

Hi

Usually a lipoma tends to be circular and stands out. I had a circular lump below my left shoulder blade and had it removed within an hour with a local anaesthetic,it was the size of a cricket ball. I now noticed another lipoma (confirmed by my GP) under my right arm the doctor advised to just keep an eye out on it as it is not hurting nor interfering with any nerves or organs. My advise go and see your GP, don't be nervous, they will help you. Regards Peter

• Posted

Same here, not a doctor but my general advice has to be to see someone who can put your mind at ease. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone.

I've been testing it for a month now. It's not growing at all. It doesn't hurt or anything. I am sure it's nothing but I think I'll bring it up in the new year at my next GP visit. 

• Posted

I also have the same thing. Can you describe yours Danielle? Mine is half a finger long and directly under my navel.

Mine is very hard but I need press pretty deep to feel it.

Els

• Posted

This was my question i had posted on ask Lucy (didnt get a response)- Question: I have a lump three inches right below my belly button, it feels firm and sort of rubbery. It's under my skin (but not right against the surface, a little deeper) and about  the size of a grape. It isn't painful but sensitive when I press on it. The area is a bit red and it swelled up a little after I pushed into it to feel the shape/texture.

Happy to say it has gone away now. 2 weeks ago i noticed it was smaller, then today i cant even find it. Mine was lower than the belly button, otherwise id have thought it could be an umbilical hernia. Im guessing mine was a hematoma or deep ingrown hair infection but ??

• Posted

Mine seems to have gone away. It felt very much the same, like a little moveable piece of rubber. I think it must have been an inflamed muscle or little cyst or something. 

If you're worried I would deffinetly bring it up with your doctor, but keep an eye on it and if it seems to get bigger go asap.

• Posted

I also have this, mine is right next to the navel and its egg sized and shaped and very hard, has anyone had a diagnosis?
  • Posted

I think i also have 1 at my belly incision. I 8 months post op. When doing sit ups, around there will become slightly sore. My doctor said is a small hernia tht no bulge yet.
  • Posted

I'm surprised how many people have the same thing. I hope everyone is doing okay? Found anything out?

• Posted

For me, not yet coz i currently on vacation at HK. before go HK, the lump at my belly there suddenly pain for few secs. Before this sudden pain, i feel uncomfortable at there for few days already. I asked my surgeon why so sudden pain, he told me i maybe need do surgery for the "hernia" where i not sure the lump izzit hernia coz its not look like a bulge like i search in Google... I only feel bloating, 2-3 days once bowel movement, a bit dizzy sometimes, sore at the lump there. Next week i will have a review with my doctor, wish not a hernia, juz a normal lump after post op...

• Posted

Hi. I have a lot of the same symptoms as you. May I ask what you found out? Thank you.
  • Posted

Hello just read all your comments I have this exact same thing. I went to the doctors today as I have tonsillitis and I thought while I'm here I will ask about the lump next to my belly button may I add I was nervous as hell about this and he had a good feel and said to me I have a mini hernia that shouldn't cause any problems and could even disappear in the future so that's put my mind at ease. Hope this has helped for others. 

• Posted

Hello, i'm glad you got it found out! Mine seems to have gone away thankfully.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.