First Dose of Humira Today (quick question)

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Fellow RA Warriors, I had my first dose of Humira today.  I read and read and read all the possible dangerous side effects and lesser side effects and am well inofrmed what to watch for... but are there "small" side effects that go away? I tired and have a slight headache. Feels like a medication reaction (not a dangerous one of course) because I don't get headaches normally and don't get sleepy without pills, normally.  Wondering if anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Humira for 10 years and don't get headaches but do feel tired.  It has really helped me, I can't imagine what my life would be like without it.  The only side affect I have is fever blisters and I don't have a problem with this if I don't eat gluten.  I am hoping the headaches do not last for you, I would give it some time to resolve.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you, Janis!  I am so excited about this.  I have high hopes.  The headache went away now and I didn't have to take anything.  It was dull... also had racing heart a bit but I think it was nerves.  It's so encouraging to hear how it has helped you!
    • Posted

Hi janis06023, I too love Humaria and what it has done for me. However, I am severely worried about lymphoma (cancer) as it is a side effect. What is your opinion on this?
    • Posted

Hi Angella,  I am also worried about lymphoma but my doctor told me that people with RA are more apt to get it than the normal population so they really don't know if it is the disease or the medication.  I cannot even imagine what I would feel like without it.  We would have had to have moved, I could hardly get up the stairs in our house or get my arms over my head to fix my hair before Humira! When I think about how bad I felt I really think I would be in a wheel chair by now and  I just feel lucky and try not to worry.  I have a good friend who has had lymphoma and thankfully beat it and she takes very little medication so you never know!  Life is a gamble and I decided that I wanted to feel good while I am here so I am taking my chances.  Good luck!

• Posted

I was in humira i dont remember getting headaches if i did i thought it might have been more from the anxiety of the injection. Humira gave me my life back
    • Posted

Hi Tamm!  You're right about anxiety... I had a little panic attack when I got home, felt a slight headache and started trying to find info on the Humira web site...panicking that I would have a severe side effect.  Also had a racing heart and rapid breathing but it really felt like a panic attack; not a medication effect.  I made it through and the headache is gone now as is the panic attack.  I'm still very sleepy but that's not a bad thing - if feels good to relax.  I was pretty keyed up about the appointment today... hoping the doc would give the thumbs up (because I had to have all the vaccines first and they had to be so many weeks before treatment), hoping the doc would have Humira in stock b/c I would have to wait for the mail order pharmacy if not... lots of nerves.  Now I am exhaling and soooo ready to get my life back too!  smile  Thanks for replying!
    • Posted

Thats awesome. Yes shots kinda suck but i am willing to do it and now i do it without any anxiety.

I noticed a little more that i could feel the beat of my heart stronger like the day that i took my shot but after the first 2 days it went away. Good luck u will b a pro too!!

• Posted

HI! Thanks!  Yes, that's exactly it!  For a few hours, I felt the beat of my heart but it wasn't exactly faster...you described it exactly.  It actually went away by evening.  Today, I haven't been very hungry, which is a good thing because I have been on a diet and losing weight on purpose since 3/6.  I hope that's a side effect!  That would be awesome.  And I feel VERY tired today... much more than usual.  But maybe that will wear off in a couple days too?
  • Posted

morning kim

how did you manage to get this drug? is it the biological drug by injection? what else did yopu try forst and how bad was your symptoms before you was allowed to try this, it sounds amazing from what the others have said. i hope it improves your condition for you. good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Lou Lou! My RA by blood test was pretty bad - anti-ccp of 218 (range is from 0-60) somitmshwied an aggressive disease state but it was caught early. Been suffering from different pains and illness we now know we're all RA related (frequent tendinitis and bronchitis, muscle pain and weakness) for 5 years but became debilitating and inferring with daily life tasks like showering, driving, working in the last year... That's when my wise GP decided to run the RA panel of tests - March 12th I was officially diagnosed. Saw rheumy two weeks later and started prepping for Humira it's all the vaccines and tests, which took two weeks.  How I got it? I went to the rheumatologist armed with information about my family history and my concerns about liver disease as my father died an ugly death losing is mind to cirrhosis from the use of strong drugs to treat his RA. And I refused Methotrexate. I found that my insurance covers Humira, got on forums and talked to a doctor friend of mine who HAS RA and explained the difference between DMARDS and biologics. I told the Rheumy that I wanted Humira and would pay out of pocket if I had to. And so I got it. I am in the U.S. If you do your homework and have reasonable reasons to want one drug over another, most doctors here will go along with your request as loong as the drug is one they use and are comfortable with and there no medical reason not to...some insurance plans here classify biologics as "step drugs" and you must try other (less costly drugs) first. Thankfully, Humira is not a step drug on my plan and even if it were, I could appeal to the medical group or the state insurance commissioner if I have a medical reason NOT to do the step drug first, which I had ready to go in case there was a fight, but - thankfully - there was no fight smile Can you not do the same In the UK?
    • Posted

Morning Loulou..I have tried Humira but it did not work for me.I had to have been on 2 DMARDS first then it was delivered to me every month in 12 lots of pen shots.easy to do for yourself.I just pressed it into my thigh and pressed top.bit sharp feeling but soon wears off.wish it had of worked each thing I have tried the consultant had said would work bit hasn't.now biological drugs halted for me as am having spasms
  • Posted

It's your first dose. Expect all kinds of odd things with the biologics. Flu-like symptoms are the most common and a headache sounds like a flu-like symptom to me.

Nothing should last more than a few days though.

• Posted

Hi I came across this post and found it helpful I'm from Edinburgh united kingdom I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondilitis of the lumber section of my spine L2L3L4 I also was diagnosed with another from of arthritis psoriasis along with uvevitis of the eyes and possible crohns disease I suffered the symptoms of these things for around three years before I went to the doctor I'm 29 years old sorry should have said at start I've been to rheumatology ect had all scans done ect I'm not starting humira on the 12 December I was just wondering if you could tell me things I should expect ect thanks x

• Posted

Hi,

I read your post. I have been diagnosed with the same thing. I began Humira today. How has your experience been ?

• Posted

The side effects are only those observed by the pharmaceutical company and those reported by the Doctors observing them.   Personally I've never known a Doctor to report such things, most just scoff at any unreported side effects you have or put them on to another medication so many side effects will go unreported.   Any side effects you suffer may well be unreported.    On my current biologic med I get a strange sensation in my feet similar to swelling, although my feet don't appear to be swollen.   And you guessed it both my GP and the Rheumatologist scoff at my suggestion it is the med they have me on because it's not on the fact sheet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.