First Gastroscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya,

I was absolutely petrified when I found out that I needed to go for a gastroscopy to confirm if I have coeliac disease.

I literally made myself ill with worry for two weeks waiting for my appointment to come around, every time I thought about it I wanted to cry and my stomach was in knots, I couldn't focus on anything else and was evening dreaming about it!

I read a lot of peoples personal experiences as I didn't know whether to have the sedative or not. I thought sedative the whole time as I suffer with anxiety and didn't think I could keep my heart rate down!

I had my gastroscopy on Friday just gone and in the room I decided not to have the sedative and to just have the numbing spray! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The nurses were so lovely, 1 kept stroking my head the whole time, the other one held onto my hand and they constantly told me how well I was doing. I felt so much more in control knowing what was going on.

I swalled the numbing spray as directed and completely covered the back of my throat which meant that I didn't even gag or heave once! As you go to swallow the camera it feels like a big bit of food so you take a big swallow and then that is over. Once in your belly you can feel a little bit of movement/pressure as they take the biopsies but it is not too uncomfortable and you can breathe through your nose/mouth whichever is more comfortable for you. Whilst the tube was in it felt like you had a bit of heartburn thats the only way I can describe it! Once the tube was on it's way out you felt that food stuck feeling again but then it was free and over with. All in all it took 3-5 minutes. I was able to walk out to the recovery area and was allowed home 10 minutes later once I saw the discharge nurse who gave me my report.

Personally I am glad I didn't have the sedative as it wasn't a horrific experience and it literally was over so quickly. I would have it done again without a sedative - no hesitations. I was able to continue with the rest of my day and just had to wait 1 hour before I could eat/drink as normal.

I didn't have a sore throat afterwards either - just a hoarse voice for half an hour and I felt a little bit of heartburn in the evening but that soon disappeared.

Good luck - it really isn't as bad as you think it is going to be but definately helps if the nurses you get are nice and reassuring!

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your rassuring worsds, Jade. There are so many who are scared of the procedure, and I admit I was, the first time. I've had so many now, I've lost count. I always just have throat spray and cycle home afterwards.
    • Posted

Thank you yo both of you ,,,,the thought of it scares me a lot and I have to say I am having trouble with ,,,,,not heart burn ,,,,,or INDEGESTION ,,,,,just burping ,,,,lots ,,,,for no reason ,,,and the thought of having this proceed done has put me off going to the GP ,,,,,I just can't understand why I keep burping obviously it's not a continuous thing but it's happening throughout the day and even if I get up in the night I start ,,,, so maybe now I'll be brave enough to go and tell my GP, thankyou both ,
    • Posted

Hiya,

Honestly it's maximum 5 minutes and it will hopefully give you the answer that you need that's if you even need this done the doctor may know what else could be causing it and try that first?!

Honestly I wanted to run away and do anything but go through with it but it wasn't a horrible experience and I am now looking forward to getting some answers. The positives outweigh the symptoms that you are having as I can imagine it is interfering with your life! Mind over matter you can do it, you are safe and you are stronger than you think smile

• Posted

My experience exactly, Jade. The tube felt like a small piece of dry bread and I thought the spray tasted a bit like Advocaat ( not that I lke it! ) Also I was asked if I'd like to turn over and have a guided tour of my gut. Very interesting and, as no sedation home staright away. Did mean I missed ut on the cup of tea but  happy to have one at home instead.

Hope that might help with reassurance to future patients.

• Posted

Thank you ,ladies ,,,I'm getting braver by the minute ,,,
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply BettyE. Yes exactly it felt like a bit of crust and then it was gone. The nurse said she will spray the numbing spray and that it will not be a nice taste....I said mmm I quite like it! So she gave me some more of it hehe. Ooo I wasn't offered the guided tour! To be honest I kept my eyes shut for a bit of it and just focused on my breathing. A lot of people say you cannot breathe out of your mouth and I have a stuffy nose most of the time so I was worried about this! But you really could as the tube doesn't go down your airways so however you feel comfortable.

If I can reassure people as I am literally the worst scardey cat when it comes to hospitals so if I can do it then anyone can! 

I missed my cup of tea too hehe but made up for it at home smile

• Posted

I had the "guided tour" on my first endoscopy 21 years ago - which is how I diagnosed myself with Barrett's since the doctor didn't use the term.

At my last scope a couple of weeks ago, I asked why we dn't get to see that now. Apparently it's to do with the scopes used. The Olympus system doesn't allow for a second screen or movement of the screen. It is the sytem our gastroenterolgists prefer as they are better scope (though more expensive). Our hospital is getting a new endosocpy suite which is being fitted out with the cheaper Pentax scopes which do come with a dual screen. But they are also investigating the possibility of recording the videos of patient's scopes to offer on a DVD cool

• Posted

Well done!

I agree it was unpleasant but not something to be overly worried about. Even a 10 minute one ain't too bad.

I posted my experience straight from the recovery bed a few minutes after the procedure because i was so grateful to others on this site for posting practical, encouraging and measured comments. Great to see more coming in :-)

• Posted

I agree ,,,you can't beat words from people who have been through the experiance,
    • Posted

I just think so many people are quick to write about bad experiences and not enough people write about good, of course everyone is different and their experience will be slightly different.

I would recommend having a morning appointment mine was at 9am but I wasn't seen until 10 am. As you cannot eat or drink for 6-8 hours it was so much easier to go to bed and wake up to go straight to the hospital no hanging around building myself up with worry or feeling too hungry/thirsty!

Waiting for the biopsy results now...really don't want coeliac as it will be a big lifestyle change for me to cut out everything with wheat in it! but I guess I will have to face whatever is about to happen and they do have a lot of products in the shops as many people have this so we shall see!

Nanny1086 I am looking forward to hearing an update on your doctors appt and will support you if you need the procedure! You can do it!

I always have something in mind to treat myself to when I get out of the hospital for being brave! Even something small it does help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.