First Hydrotherapy

Posted , 11 users are following.

I did it, I went to my first hydrotherapy class. For someone who is frightened of the water I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It started with a warm shower, then into the pool which was blood temperature. there was 2 physios in the water with us (class of 4). Each of us was given a print out of some excercises which we did over the half hour. It was easy to do the excersises in the water I didn't know my legs would move like they did, not done that in yearssmile. After we got out we were given a drink so that we didn't de hydrate. my legsd felt like lumps of lead, funny feeling but it didn't last. Another warm shower and then dried and dressed. Exhausted but felt no pain at all.

After a rest and some lunch we went to Houghton Hall (home of the first Prime Minister Robert Walpole built for him in the 1700's). Went round the house, first thing faced with 2 flights of stairs but I climbed them didn't realise how I good I was gettingsmile walked round the house, and the grounds it's a lovely place, plenty of seats to sit and rest in. At dusk we sat and watched the light show, (it's all on the internet if your interested), that was something else very very good and well thought out. We arrived home at 9.30pm exhausted and very tired but a wonderful day.

I slept well, and this morning apart from being a bit stiff I have no after effects at all, still feel a bit tired so after doing the shopping it will be feet up time for the rest of the weekend.

Hope everyone else is ok both pre and post op. It certainly does get better with time. Love Gill xx

4 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had hydrotherapy before my first hip op 15 years ago to get my legs stronger and it was wonderful. I'm very envious - glad you enjoyed it!
  • Posted

Hi Gillcat - a friend of mine said that her son had received hydrotherapy after dislocating his hip and it was brilliant in helping him to recover.  She told me to make sure I enquired about it. I had forgotten all about it until I read your post.

How do you get access to it.  I am guessing I should ask my GP?

• Posted

I was put in for it by my consultant and physiotherapist at the hospital where I had my op. xx
  • Posted

How long since your op?  How quickly can I have a shower and wash my hair?

​Your mail is most encoraging Thank  you

• Posted

14 weeks since my op, and it was 6 weeks before I could have a shower just stripped washed. Did manage to wash my hair at the kitchen sink smile xx
    • Posted

Thank you Gillcat  ..the thought of not washing my hair is horrid.  I have bought some dry shampoo......I htought th kitchen sink might work myself..thanks for that.  The posts are really helping me..GP put me on valium last week but I have only taken for two days...heaven knows how I will be next weekend though!

Alikat

At wat stage did you have the hydro therapy??

​Alice

• Posted

Hi Alice. The hospital where I had my op uses waterproof dressings and providing you have a walk in shower you can shower and wash your hair from day one. You can also get no rinse shampoo (Amazon) - just rub into your hair then dry - not as good as actually washing your hair but better than dry shampoo. Xx

• Posted

Thank you Shirley.  I bought loads od baby wipes in the fear i wouldn't be able to have a shower.  I do have a walk in shower but was told couldn't have a shower for 6 weeks!!  Yikes..My poor friends who might visit!

​Alice

• Posted

H Gill,

It sounds great fun!  I am going swimming in a pool near home now and it's  a lovely feeling to be "normal" again! I felt las heavy as  lead out of the water, but it's normal...I am so unfit!

All the best

Ella 

• Posted

It sounds wonderful, as does the rest of your day. I am being referred for hydrotherapy, I asked my GP, so hopefully will hear soon
    • Posted

Oh Maggie go for it, it feels so good today even though I am tired after everything we did. xx
  • Posted

What part of country are you in? To have the faciities for hydrtherapy I mean...Perhaps we aren't spposed to say where we live..I live in the South West!

​Alice

• Posted

I had hydrotherapy in Northamptonshire. I want to go to pool again but our local one is not a walk in pool and I'm not sure about ladders yet. 

• Posted

Ooh!  Perhaps I will be referred there too after op as I understand 'New Hall Hopsital' which is where I am going refers to Salisbury Dist.

​Do you live in Salisbury?  Or are we meant not to mention where we live?

Please let m eknow how you get on?

Alice 

• Posted

No, I live about 25 miles away, but had the op at Salisbury district
    • Posted

ah!  Yes I looked into Beaumont and Cox and finally shoce Vietch..liked his face!
    • Posted

Oh hek..I hadn't thought of that..I have forgotten how far ahead you are as reponding to lots of nice posts...Is it 6 weeks?  This time next week It will be over at any rate the op will be...

Alice 

• Posted

My op was April 10. I am now back at work, at Salisbury Hospital, have been on two holidays, a cruise and a coach trip. Easy for me to say now, but it will be fine
    • Posted

Gosh Maggie..  I am off to New Hall for pre op this afternoon.  Sun shining doing loads of washing so house is as tidy and clean as pos.

Alice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.