First infusion of inflectra

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.. I Start my first infusion of inflectra tomorrow... Words can not describe the fear I'm feeling... I'm dreading the two hour wait after the infusion ends to see if I have a reaction...... I don't have any friends with RA so don't know anyone who has been on it..... Side effects seem quite nasty but I'm fast running out of drugs to try as nothing seems to work more than a couple months or year at the most.... Was just wondering if any one else has been on this drug x

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I looked up Inflectra and it said that Inflectra was a biosimilar for Remicade.  I don't know anything about Inflectra but I was on Remicade for about a year and a half.  I had no reactions and the drug worked fine. After about a year and a half it slowly quit working and I had to go on another biologic. I hope this helps.  Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo,

The damnable thing about rheumatoid is that the dusease is able to morph.. that is why one medication does not work well for more than 10 years...typically, the effectiveness is much less.

Kind regards,

judith

• Posted

Dear Debbie,

Now you have a friend with RA, actually JRA, for 54 years now...I was just 65!

i have been on rituximab infusions for six years now. Yes, it is boring to sit in a chair all day while it drips in. But the results have been so dramatic.

The night before infusion I take 509 mg tylenol, 25 mg benadryl, and an alegra.

The morning if the infusion I take the same thing. When I arrive at the infusion center, they begin the line, withdraw blood tests, and begin a saline drip. Next they administer 30 mg of solumedrol which is a steriod. All of this is to hold down any adverse reaction.

Finally, the infusion begins...very, very, very slowly...also to minimize adverse reaction. You blood pressure will be taken every thirty minutes and you will be asked if you are feeling okay. If you respond "no" they will stop, rest, and restart even slower. If you respond "yes" the will gently increase the rate.

Take a deep breath, I am with you.

Kind regards,

judith

• Posted

Hi judith

Thankyou for your kind words, had it done and felt fine so far... Did have a total meltdown in the hospital though... Cried like a baby lol... My next one is two weeks.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one works. Because it's so scary having to try new drugs c

• Posted

Yes, I agree....had one infusion last week and the next one next week. Then I will coast for 4-6 months...stay in touch

Kind regards

judith

• Posted

HI Debbie

You will find friends here to help provide support and advice.   I can't answer the question about the infusion but I will be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you the very best.   They will keep a very close eye on you to monitor any signs of adverse reaction and give medications as needed to combat side effects

Let us know how it went.  I hope this drug works for you for a very long time!

• Posted

This medication filters out the memory cells and it's like your body forgets you have RA.  If you can take it at the proven intervals you should do well for many years.

• Posted

Please don't assume the worst! I don't know this drug but I also found none of the usual drugs worked very long and I was put on an infusion of a bio drug which come with a long list of side effects including death! But I knew the benefits were potentially very good. I had it and no problems at all. Only 8 out of 10 people have side effects on methotrexate for example. I never had any on that either. You can get severe side effects with most drugs but most of us don't! Be brave and you may be pleasantly surprised. You can think symptoms on if you wait for them! If for some reason you get a side effect they can deal with it! Good luck.

• Posted

Well had my first one done today... It went well, apart from me having a total meltdown and crying on front of everyone lol... Fingers crossed I don't get side effects thankyou all for your kind words.. It means a lot as I didn't have anyone to talk to about this x

• Posted

HOORAY!!!!!

We have all been frightened of the unfamiliar...I will be watching for your posts about your progress..

Kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Debbie,  any new drug is daunting I know.. this may just e "the one" so you can only try.   Write to nras and ask them for their help.  they may be able to buddy you with someone who has some experience of this drug in a positive way!  everyone is so different with RA drugs, my friend had complete remission for 3 years ater one session of Ritox and I had the most dreadful adverse reaction.... you can just never tell.    Fortunately I have a drug which works well for me now so have faith and hope.  Rooting for you!

• Posted

Hello debbie39876,

How are you doing?  I am a new member and I saw where you are on this drug called Inflectra.  How did this work for you?  I have a doctors appointment this week and I am going to request that I be put on Inflectra, but it is for ulcerative colitis & irrated bowel syndrome.  Hopeful it will help with my joints as well.  Please give me some insight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.