First PE

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and ended up in hospital with a small clot in my right lung. To me it felt like I was having a heart attack even tho I have never felt that before either but it was my interpretation of what a heart attack would feel like. Either way, I have been put on blood thinner injections twice a day. Today's day 3 of being on them. The dr told me to live life as normal now and I shouldn't have any issues. My question is I still get out of breath easily and it feels like it's hard to breathe. I also am getting a fair amount of sharp pains all through my lungs. I'm confused as to why I still feel this way if the drs said I should be okay. I read you can get symptoms for up to 3 months. Just not sure what to expect! Anyone got any advice? Thankyou smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Zoe,

That sounds about right to me (although being a guy, I have never been pregnant). I was told the pain was caused by the clot hitting the pleura. Once on anticoags you are very unlikely to get another. My daughter in law was on thinners all through pregnancy and she carried on as normal.

All the best

Peter

p.s. Congrats!

• Posted

You were told the blood clot was in your right lung and they put you on blood thinners? Right? They did not dissolve or go in and remove it did they? They didn't mine and it was huge. And they said it would take 6 months to dissolve back into my body. So my lung has something in there that it's not used to having in there. I get pains, twinges, unexplained pains but I'm told it's normal.

Even if they did remove it then you would have some scaring that wasn't there before. All I know and believe for sure is we were blessed that it ended up in our Right lung that is the safest place for it to go. It won't kill us just make us uncomfortable and scare us my Vascular Surgeon said.

• Posted

Zoe, 

I had a PE 3 weeks ago, the first week i got out of the hospital i had intense pain and it was very hard to breath with every single breath, i was freaking out thinking that this was going to last for months. Then after about 6 days, I hardly felt it for 2 days after that, then it came on like a vengance again, so it's kind of like a roller coaster ride (at least it was for me). Fortunately the intense pain has all gone away for the most part and i only feel a minor ache in my side now. So hold tight, im sure you will be better in no time. It is very normal to be feeling what you're feeling 

• Posted

Hi zoelee,

I have had a small blood clot at the bottom of my right lung. I am on Warfarin since last May, I had a CT scan 2 weeks ago which showed the clot is still there. I have chest pains here and there, it can be on my left side as well, sometimes bigger sometimes milder pain. Sometimes shorter time I feel but the last one started on this Tuesday next to my bellybutton and ended yesterday... This was the longest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.