First Psychiatrist appointment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Tomorrow I have my first meeting with a Psychiatrist, I am a bit unsettled by the whole thing. Spent most of today having prolonged anxiety with some periods of quite dark thoughts. Most of it revolves around returning to work which I want to do because of the money but I'm a) scared that the psych will say I'm not ready if I open and honest b) if I am selective in my wording I run the risk of relapse. Work are being amazing about phased return, only letting me do work that has no pressure etc so it's not like before but I'm still not right in the head if you know what I mean.

Any thoughts?

David

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi David,

I suggest you’re honest, also tell her about how great your company is being about returning to work. The aim of health workers is to get people well and working/living so probably if you’re honest about how you’re doing but express a real interest and want to go back to work as soon as possible she’ll probably do what she can to help you with that.

But when you’re in there, just listen to your gut, watch her expressions and phrasings and try to read what direction she’s going in. If you get the feeling it’s not going well and that being honest will make life harder for you then you can always stop being totally honest and try to stir her in a different direction. Hopefully though, for your sake, you won’t need to do this because the doc will be working in your interest and will see that a phased return to work will be a good thing for you. (Just fyi, I’m really clueless as to how the system works so don’t know how “reliable” my advice is.)

Good Luck!! It’ll be ok, it’ll be better than ok : ) it’ll go as well as yesterday’s meeting with the boss went, you’re on a roll : )

All the best ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.