First sigmoidoscopy...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.. I'm due my first sigmoidoscopy next weekend.. what shud I expect..? Pain..? I've been sent an enema called fleet.. I'm sooooo scared of the enema and the sigmoidoscopy.. need reassurance and yr experiences pls... x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Please don't worry, just stay near the loo when you take the preparation!

People have different experiences when they have the sigmoidoscopy.

We are all built differently and experience things in different ways

I personally would accept sedation if they offered it. If they don't you can always request to have the gas and air on standby you don't have to use it if you don't want to but at least it's there if you need it!

All the best.

• Posted

Thanks. I'm gonna take whatever pain relief they offer me...!! Cannot wait to get this over with.. bums r for exit only in my view.. 😔

• Posted

Seriously - don't be scared. Forums like these generally bring out the minority of people who've not had a good experience. Don't expect anything pleasant but the tube itself isn't much of an issue - you'll experience bloaty pains a bit like bad wind or a bad stomach ache but that's it. The enema is no bother - I had the liquid and just involved a few trips to the loo.

I'd also not bank on walking too far once you're done and hopefully all clear. I recall limping out with enough trapped wind to fill a hot air ballon but jubilant and relieved.

Good luck, you'll be fine.  

• Posted

Thanks.. feeling much better about it.. I'm looking at the bigger picture of having this done rather then just worrying about the pain.. I'd probably have to go thru much worse if I leave it too late.. better just get it over n done with.. 😩

• Posted

hi,

Listen, everyone is different, and I'm sure that people only put there bad experience of a sigmoidoscopy on here to scare munger, but my experience of it was fine, I have put my experience on here so look it up ! I promise you no matter how bad it is or isn't it's worth doing if your doctors thinks it should be done . Please go and have a look for my post and hopefully it will put your mind at ease .

Let me know if you can't find it

• Posted

I genuinely do not think people put up comments to scare others.  I believe, as I did, that a sigmoidoscopy would not be anything as no sedation was offered.  What I found that angered me more was that I felt lied to.  That is why I will NEVER go back as I do not trust what doctors say.  Personally, I would have felt more reassured by the truth that it may hurt  but that it may not hurt. 

Studies have shown that 23-35% of males experience moderate to severe pain with a colonoscopy, and 35-45% of females have moderate to severe pain with a colonoscopy.  Females typically have longer large colons (probably to accomodate the possibility of a growing fetus), which can lead to more pain with that said colon being more tortuous.  Previous abdominal surgical procedures also result in adhesions which can result in increased pain and obviously, no male has to undergo a hysterectomy.

• Posted

For everyone who is sat googling flexible sigmoidoscopy and looking for some reassurance then look no further. I had mine done yesterday, I should of had it done a month ago but I cancelled it because of being scared, I rebooked and yesterday was the day. So after scaring myself to death by googling 🙄 I went to my appointment with a lot of anxiety and once again was temped to make my excuses, but didn't . Once they had called me in and I had spoke to the nurse I was feeling a little bit more relaxed, the nurses were great and very reassuring, so after getting undressed and in to the shorts they provide with a flap in the back 😳there was no turning back. I went in a laid on the table, there was 2 nurses and the doctor who would carry out the sigmoidoscopy all were very nice and again reassuring . I was offered sedition but declined, there is gas and air to hand tho. The doctor Then talked me through every step of it, firstly by sticking his finger up to check for stools , and then inserting the camera all with a lube I must say. The camera it's self wasn't bad at all, in fact I didn't really feel it go in, the discomfort came when the inflate your bowel with air and I say discomfort because that's all it is. Everything was fine until the bend in the colon, they pump more air so the camera can go round the bend which brings on cramps but are very short lived, a couple of seconds. After that its plain sailing, I even watched it on the screen, now that's something you don't see everyday!! Everything you see on the screen is 60% magnified so if you do see something when watching DONT PANIC it's not that big. I was lucky enough to not have anything at all in my bowel but glad I went through with it. it's not as bad as you think it will be, it's over and done with in 10 mins, thousands of people have them done every day. The bowel prep is annoying , not painful, just annoying because I like my sleep but didn't have much of that the night before the sigmoidoscopy. Now I know everyone is different BUT the one thing they kept saying is TRY TO RELAX now that's easier said then done, but the more you tense up the harder it is to get the camera round, so take gas and air if need be . Well this was my experience of a flexible sigmoidoscopy, would I do it again? yes of course if I had to but next time I won't be so worried about it .

• Posted

Hello. I just thought id take the time to see how you are feeling. I dont blame you for feeling scared. I wish i couldve answered your questions but with mine nearing, I dont have those answers yet. I know I feel that way especially now that mine is closing in on me so close. I go for mine on Tuesday (Nov 15). Hope you are doing alright.
    • Posted

Hey. I'm feeling better about it as the day gets closer. Mine is on 19th Nov. I'm more stressed about doing the enema at home. I mite call up the clinic n ask if I can go in an hour early n get them to administer it. Been mentally putting off 'happy' jobs till next Sunday. Gives me something to look forward to.. all the best for yrs tomorrow.. I guess u start yr liquid diet today..? Or did u get laxatives..? Xx

• Posted

Hello. Hope you are doing ok. Not a laxative in the form i would rather. I was told to take an enema. Personally id rather a pill though. I wish i couldve taken carters instead since they work well.
    • Posted

Good morning. I hope this finds you well. I found as it led up to the day my nerves were such a mess. Now i know everybody is different but I gotta tell ya, for me I found the worst part of all for me was the preparation at home having to use the fleet. Oh my gosh did it ever put me in misery. I found it hurt using it. As for the procedure itself I did the best thing i think and I requested sedation because i knew it wouldnt be good for me to me be awake as im real paranoid in operating rooms and just small spaces in general etc. plus i have limited mobility so it worked to be asleep. After the procedure was over and I was brought into recovery I will honestly say that other than a tiny touch nauseated and mild cramp I didnt really feel or remember after. The rest of the day after going home I was a touch nauseated as i said but other than that just really tired. The following morning I was pretty much myself again. Looking back now Im glad I went through with it but if there is ever a next time Ill look into other ways for preparation. I wish you the best with yours tomorrow and pray you get through it as easy as I had. Good luck.
  • Posted

Just been n had the sigmoidoscopy.. bad case of hemmeroids.. all in all not a bad experience with the cam.. got a nurse to do the enema.. wasn't bad really.. Wundt want to do it again but glad I got it done.. plenty of fibre n water can fix hemmeroids .. hope yr all well.. xx

• Posted

Good to hear you got through it ok. Same here really, Im glad it got done but unless its real severe id rather not again. Not to be nosy but is yours Internal or External? Myself, I was told that I have a fissure and internal hemmeroids. Seems the medication perscribed for that isnt simple to get. We've been to at least 4 pharmacies to get it filled.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.