First time experience - feel defeated

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis and had no idea of its existence. I feel totally lost

I'm on the beginning of the 3rd day of a liquid diet and my caloric intake has been VERY minimal. I am a 54 year old male and an just trying to find my way on how to manage this.

I'm single and have friends and family but I feel alone right now as I go thru this. I'm an optimistic person overall but admit this is hard to wrap my head around.

I think I'm ready to incorporate, slowly something other than liquid. I have a partial list of what I might try to eat but a.m. seeking advice on what foods y'all incorporated into your diets day one after a strict liquid diet.

Appreciate any advice as I am feeling weak.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I assume you are/have been on antibiotics for your flare? Generally after fluids, smooth soup is good, also don't start loading your colon with too much fibre - stick to a low residue diet for a while, white bread, white pasta (Mayo Clinic has a diet sheet for this) this makes it easier on your colon - lots of water daily, at least 1 litre and I take lactulose morning and night which softens everything and helps it through, it is safe to take this long term as it doesn't stay in the body, I've been on it 5 years. You will get plenty of good advice but the thing to remember is that what is fine for one person may not suit another person! It takes awhile to discover what you can tolerate. I have had DD for 12 years and now have many pockets and narrowing of the colon but I find sticking to low residue, taking lactulose and avoiding any root vegetables (these cause wind and can irritate the pockets) keeps me mainly flare free. also be careful with beef, pork, lamb as my consultant says they are very fibrous and hard to digest, chicken is ok. - hope you have only mild DD, you are not alone, you will get lots of help and advice and find your own way of dealing with it. Sending best wishes to you.

• Posted

thank you for your input. I have been on antibiotics since Sunday. I think I am ready for something solid so I will try some bread and likely the pasta later in the day.

Just feel so debilitated right now. Lacking strength, stamina.

I am very grateful for your advice and God willing will learn how to transition back.Sincere thanks for the well wishes

• Posted

Hi Rene,eat easily digestable foods,Yoghurt is a good one for me,i also have bananas but not everyone can tolerate theseand soupsare good,after a few days and you find your self hungry slowly build up your fiber intake,remember to drink lots of water as this is needed for the fiber to work.You will find that you have good days and bad ones,Were you diagnosed after a colonoscopy?
    • Posted

hi yvonne and thank you. This diseases was not discovered via a colonscopy. I took myself to the ER on Sunday because I was having a constant cramping and pain in my stomach. Initially I thought it was just a stomach ache or remnants from what I thought was a stomach virus the week before.

They diagnosed me at the ER with diverticulitis and so I followed up with a dr visit with a gastrologist on Monday afternoon and have been on liquids since then. I think though I'm ready to try the bread, pasta and then perhaps the yogurt ( which I thought would be good but have not seen that specifically mentioned in my researching this disease. I'm anxious too for a banana. Something solid.

thank you very much for the info. Hope you continue successfully with your condition.

• Posted

Hello, I was diagnosed for the first time this year too. I'm 36. I was overwhelmed and felt all on my own for months so you aren't alone with your feelings. After 3 days of a liquid diet I began to eat butter noodles, noodles with Alfredo sauce, white toast, smooth peanut butter sandwiches which helped because I was so weak the protien was great. Lots of water and apple juice. I did mashed potatoes as well and I ate super small portions. I am eating normal again.. I went to the e.r. 5 months after my flare because I was still having pain on my side and was scared. They did another ct scan and everything was clear and good, my e.r. doctor said it takes almost a yr to not experience pain on your left side. I wish my gastro doc would have told me that all the wanted to do was a colonoscopy. Just take it day by day. It will get better. Sorry that you had to join the club sad but promise it will get better.

• Posted

thank you so much for replying. I'm sorry you've had to experience this so early Hollie.

So I'm just starting my 3rd day of the liquid diet but little, minor intermittent pain. Bloating is, I think, reducing.

I had been very active lately losing some weight and had been feeling so healthy. Then this.Still trying to accept that I will have to monitor this ongoing.

I'm grateful for your suggestions on what kind of food I might slowly reintroduce. I don't like the debilitating feeling from a liquid diet and don't feel I've yet the energy to return to work.Yet.

Thank you for the positive vibe. Looking forward to getting back to a version of the old me. Much luck on continued good life for you.

• Posted

Hey Rene, 

Everything you have read here is right.  I was only diagnosed in April, 2014.  By December of 2015 I had 10.5" of my colon removed.  I had know I hand diverticulosis (pockets) for several years but had never had any issues with them.  I ate and drank anything I wanted with no issues.  In April, 2014 I had the most awful stomach ache in history.  After being accused of drug seeking by one local hospital and at the second they started to do the same thing until my daughter chewed butts and demanded a test to find out what my pain was coming from.  When the results of the CT scan came back they changed their tune.  Things just went down hill from there.  

I had also just lost about 20 lbs. and was really feeling healthy.  I was really taken aback with the debilitating pain and in shock to find out what was going on.  The doctors didn't even tell me to do a liquid diet so I still took the antibiotics and ate what I wanted.  Horrible pain followed so I just quit eating or drinking all together.  Lost a few more pounds then.  Missed a weeks work.  

Things hit a lull and I got back to normal until about 2 months later and it started again.  I had an abscess then so it was 5 days in the hospital to clear that up and the story goes on from there.  I won't bore you with any more details.  

I just wanted you to know that it's never the same for anyone.  We all have our issues but some are worse than others but with that being said, the advice on here will be better than anything you can get from your doctors.  If I had known to go on here and how to care for myself I may not have lost 10.5" of my colon and suffered 4 major surgeries in as many months.  

I am healed now and no longer suffer from DD but I do have to be careful about what I eat and I have to take care of myself to stay healthy.  I feel better than I have in several months and totally look forward to getting better every day.  

I am a 68 soon to be 69 year old female.  This disease knows no boundaries and it is ruthless when it's flaring but you can get through it and it's always brighter on the other side.  

Check this site often and you will be so happy you did.  Good luck with your healing and know that we are thinking of you on your journey.     

• Posted

Lucy I am so sorry that your journey with this has been so rough. I am really grateful forv the responses and information I am getting and am understanding that each person's journey may vary from another's.

When I left the ER they just said, "no seeds, no nuts" (which my dr later said is not even certain). So when I did see the dr. he was a little more thorough but later, I felt I didn't have a specific diet to follow.

As I move forwa4d I will definitely try and do whatever I can to be conscientious of what I eat and what may trigger another onset.

I wish you well on your continued effort to stay healthy. I will keep checking this forum as well. Much thanks. God Bless you.

• Posted

I find seedy foods a problem but I eat nuts - just chew them to paste. I agree about the red meat especially beef and pork. Take a probiotic tkko put back the good bugs thd antibiotics destroy. I find aloe vera juice soothing.
  • Posted

Hi i was diagnosed 4 years ago after months of having the runs and was so ill, i was treat so bad at the doctors and was so depressed. After being diagnosed with colitis i was fine for 4 years until May when it all started again, stomache cramps feeling sick and non stop runs. I went in for another colonoscopy and was told it was diverticular disease. I have now been diagnosed with IBS too and have had the runs for 5 months. I am now at the end with all this and am so depressed i feel suicidal !! I really can't do this any more. All i do is go to work i can't go anywhere if there is'nt a loo. I have messed myself at work as i have 2 seconds to get to the loo. The shame of all this and constant pain is now too much i don't know what to do ? I feel desperate and so so depressed.

• Posted

Hi Julie,i feel so sorry for you.This is the 3rd time i tried to post some advice but it keeps getting stopped by the moderator and i dont know why.You should be getting more  help and support from your doctor about diet and so forth,have you tried a fiber supplement for the diarrhea?
    • Posted

Hi Julie the fiber supplements are life savers,they keep things moving if you suffer from constipation or bulk your stool up if you have the runs,either way they keep thing more regular,i  take lepicol from holland and barrett if you live in the UK or you can get it online,some people swear by fybogel which is available from chemists,hope you feel better soon,please let us know how you go on.
    • Posted

Julie,

Try boiled eggs.  I usually eat three or four if I'm running pretty good.  I know DD and diarrhea up close and personal.  This is my go to food after three days on liquid diet to rest my colon.  (this was before surgery)  I don't do the liquid diet now, just the boiled eggs.  It seems to work every time.  I do admit that on occasion I take an antidiarrheal med but only take a half of one caplet.  I only take half of a tablet because I don't want to get my body used to meds doing what it's supposed to do.  I do eat things like mashed potatoes or rice just to get past the runs.  I don't eat much fiber as of late but will be starting to incorporate them back into my diet soon.  I was afraid to after losing 10.5" of my colon and my ileocecal valve.  Now that my body is getting better (after 26 weeks) I think I am ready to try it.  Keep probiotics in your body to keep the good bacteria in your colon which you lose with bouts of diarrhea.  Stay hydrated and eat very small meals.  

Keep your chin up Julie.  You got this girl.  If I can do it, anyone can.  I'm 69 years old come Friday and in very good health now.  Don't give up.  DD can get you down but only you can get up and fight.  Don't give it the pleasure of winning.  Keep on swinging and we will be here to help you along the way.

Lucy

• Posted

Thank you Yvonne i went back to the doctors Fri and she gave me of foods to avoid and foods that are good so now starting my new diet. I am cutting out wheat and using lactose free milk. Nothing has changed but early days. I am never constipated i basically have the runs 24/7 so really need this to work i feel desperate. Apart from work have been no where for weeks i live in fear of messing myself again, this is'nt a life for me. Yes i live in the UK so will get what you recommended. I will come on in a while to tell you how i am. I go on holiday end of Nov so really need to get better or i will be cancelling. Thanks for your help it means a lot !!

• Posted

Thank you so much Lucy i went back to the docs Fri and was given a list of good and bad foods so have started my newish diet. No change yet but early days, i am cutting out wheat and drinking lactose free milk. I really have to feel better as my life is hell. The fear of having an accident is ruling my life and after it happened at work i am at my whits end. I will let you know how i am soon. Thanks for your help it means a lot !!
    • Posted

Hi Julie, i know what you mean about going on  holiday and having all this trouble,its really scary,i recently went to Rhodes in Greece and had the runs on and off,i dont think the change in diet helpsDid the doctor think you might be lactose intolerant with the advice on the milk?.Hope things improve for you.
    • Posted

Julie, please seek help for depression. You feel at the end of your rope, so now it's time to ask for help. Big hugs XXX

• Posted

Hi Yvonne i went back to the doctors and was given a diet sheet basically showing which foods are bad and which are good. I have been cutting out certain foods and yes i am now using lactose free milk. I have bought some high fibre tablets and probiotics and am feeling a bit better, not as i should be but it has bulked me up do do not have the runs but still have to run to the loo. Thank you for your help i have an app at the hospital Monday so i will let you know what happens xx
    • Posted

Thanks Izzy i am back at the hospital Mon i will let you know what happens. It's been hard coping with this and no help i feel so alone with all this. Here's hoping for a change in my health soon xx

• Posted

Thanks Lucy it's been so hard coping with this and no help. I am back at the hospital Mon so hoping for some help. I am now taking probiotics and Lepicol and have been a bit better but the fear is still there, after the accident at work i am a wreck. i will let you know what happens. Thank you xc

• Posted

Hi Julie,l used the Lepicol for about 2yrs and it helped me tremendously  but I now use fybogel which was recommended by a nurse at my GPs .I still have to go to the loo has soon as I feel the urge but I now feel more confident  when I go out and don't stress about needing the loo, just give it time.I have cut down on my meat intake overall and eat more fish and chicken and drink lots of water.What is the hospital app for?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.