First time on HRT advice needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi have posted before and am now into week 4 of elleste combi, going really well, wish I had done it sooner and not suffered for the past 7 years.  Only niggle and do not want to both GP at the minute is that my breasts are so sore and feel swollen.  That was reason it took so long to get HRT as have had a phlebitis and GP said could raise risk of breast cancer, so do not want to go too soon in case she takes me off it.  Is this normal and does it go away?  I am well endowed and could do without all the soreness and swollen feeling, it is causing me discomfort at night as I do not know what do with them, if you know what I mean. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think this is normal especially if you suffered with it pre menopause & at some point during your monthly cycle when you were younger. I have been experiencing the same & have been on HRT for 6 months now. I have just increased it from 1mg to 2mgs as some of my symptoms have come back. It's a hard decision to go on HRT but I'm so happy that I did! I am going to make sure & ask for regular breast screenings now I am in my 50's. Wear a bra at night is my suggestion & ask yourself what you would prefer? eg HRT & Swollen breasts or no HRT & your other menopause symtoms?!

I'm not sure if this helps but hope its reasurring that I too am going through it. Take care & soldier on. 

• Posted

Hi Ruth, thanks for your reply, yes I did suffer when younger so may be just that and you are right I would rather not have awful flushes and am happy to feel more alive. Did not want to go back to GP as it took so long to get them in the first place so knowing that it is normal is reassuring. I am due a breast screen in March which I am sure will be fine so that will put my mind at rest also. Take care
  • Posted

I'm not sure but maybe if other symptoms have improved it may be wise to stick with it.

I've been on it for 3 months, right at the start everything was great but at 6 to 8 weeks in I had a few things come back with a vengeance making me wonder if I should stop using it.

A nasty taste and nausea all the time. But at weeks 8 to 9 it got better. Now I'm getting it very occasionally more like it was in early peri.

Like you I wish I had done it sooner. 10 years of misery and life wasted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.