First visit to assessment team at CMHT

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi 

I was referred from my GP to my local assessment team and they called asked me a few questions and have given me an appointment to see them in 7 days. What I could gather from the conversation is that he was the team manager and he would be the ones seeing me. I am very worried and not sure what form the assessment will take. What will they ask ? Do they use a specific tool like GAD 9 or something? Will they take bloods? He did mention that it may involve prescribing new medication. Can anyone give me an idea of what happened to them ? The meeting is 7 days away and I am stressing already. Not really left my flat in a month due to anxiety so will be getting a taxi and friend to come along with me. 

Thank you 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi chris, it might sound daft to you but try to calm yourself down. It is normal for a team manager to see a new client and make the initial assessment. Then this assessment is taken to a team meeting and with the psychiatrist. It is a multi disciplinary meeting and all the paramedical staff will be there. Pharmacist, social workers, physio,  OT, sometimes a vicar and the rest of the psychiatric nurses. This way everyone is involved in your care in the community. Best regards Peter.

• Posted

I forgot to say that you have the choice of who is in the meeting with the psychiatrist. Some times it is just them and a student or F1 (first year Dr) and maybe your CPN or case worker. Do not dismiss the others in the team. They might come in handy to help with benifits or housing problems. OT's can be very good at helping you turn your life around, there are many strings to an OT's bow.Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.