First week post op success!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just had my first post op visit with the doctor yesterday.  She said I am healing "beautifully"!  She removed my bandages, cleaned my foot as much as possible, and re-dressed.  Next week I will get a boot, along with a Spenco RX Orthotic full length insert for the boot, but I will still be non- weight bearing for at least another four weeks.  I thought I would post a picture, and apologize if it makes anyone queasy!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hello...wow!!! the photo is amazing....it looks like carnage!!! Sorry to say! but I am surprised that there are no stitches?...and so so much blood.

When mine was unwrapped at day 12, there was no blood anywhere on the bandages or foot,,,, just saying.

Lovely that your healing is going welll 

I only have the Darco shoe to wear 24/7 for 6 weeks... and I have managed that for 5 weeks so far!! Can you post pic of the boot etc etc...so we can all compare?

Keep resting...I'm looking forward to my visit to surgeon next week to see whn I can attempt walking!!

Cheers

B

• Posted

Yes...I think it may look worse than it actually was.  I had a different type of stitches than you, which may account forensics of that.  The doctor told me immediately after surgery that a certain amount of oozing was normal, even if it came through my bandage, which it didn't.  The only stitches that will have to be removed are just the few on my second toe...the others will dissolve.  The stern strips with theories blood make it look "like carnage" (lol) and they will fall off on their own.   The picture below is similar to my boot, which I will get next week (week 2) but I will still be non- weight bearing.  
    • Posted

Hi, I'm week four and no walking for another two weeks without shoe, I had disolveable stitches but still lots of swelling, not sure how to put a photo up on this ?? I had bunion removed an big toe straightened
  • Posted

Oops...not "forensics".  Should have spell checked!
  • Posted

wow..that boot is excessive!!! Sure hope I dont get told to wear one next week!! eeeek!

I don't know where you are, but I'm sweltering in 39 C degree heat,,,one of those boots would be so HOT!

Good luck!

B

• Posted

I'm in Virginia and we had snow flurries yesterday.  smile
  • Posted

a snow flurry sounds like a cooling drink!!!

I'm in western Australia!

• Posted

That is not fresh but dried blood. The first thing you learn is to bring wet wipes for dressing change because the surgeon will not deign to clean the foot and I assure you should not have the nurse change the dressing. Double osteotomy one hammertoe with the horrible k wire on December 1. Theoretically NWB for 6 weeks but I am now walking with crutches (thank you Mobilegs). I will be walking next week qtel:+14154332444so I am two weeks ahead of schedule. Would I do it again, because I have a very large bunion on the other foot? Not sure. This has been awful,

if you have a great deal of pain, are under age 50 and will give up 3 to 4 weeks of your life's, go for it. I had a hip replacement last year and it was so much easier than this horrible bunion surgery

• Posted

My apologies. For some reason this email inserted a non working San Francisco (where I live) number in my reply
    • Posted

Hi Carol...and yes, it is dried blood, mainly on the steri strips which I can't take off by myself.  My 2 week post op was yesterday, where they gave me permission to wash my foot with a cloth and antibacterial soap - however not in the shower or bath yet.  No submerging.  That should get the old steri strips loosened up a bit.  No more "carnage"!  lol!   The doctor gave me some nice clean new strips to replace them when they fall off.  I also have to start manipulating my big toe - at home physical therapy - in order to avoid physical therapy later.  So far, so good!  cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.