Fissurectomy and botox - just out of hospital

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I am totally new to this forum but have been reading people's diaries during the past few weeks. In short, I have suffered from fissures since about 3-4 years ago. Very rarely back then, but as time goes by one fissure has shown up with a gradually higher frequency. Recently, it would hurt about 1 week out of 4. I am a very fit 23 year old man and have seen a colorectal surgeon last month. He suggested to perform a surgery on it as the main fissure had become swollen and a sentinel tag had been formed.

Last week I had a colonoscopy to determine if there was any underlying cause but all looked fine.

I have been discharged from hospital over little less than two hours ago. I have had today a fissurectomy and botox injection. The diagnosis and treatment are described on the papers as ''Haemorrhoidectomy and Botox Fissurectomy''. The surgeon, very friendly and knowledgeable, mentioned to me that he had removed the senital tag, removed the main fissure and also a smaller fissure/haemorrhoid (the terminology slightly confuses me but everything that could hurt me at this point has been removed).

After the surgery (full anaesthetic) I had no pain... I have some bondage in between my bum which I will remove shortly, they also put some inside my bum which should dissolve or come out during a bowel movement. I have been prescribed paracetamol and ibuprofen to take for the coming two weeks, and also morphine tablets to take four times a day. I was given lidocaine to put on the area and also lactulose solution to soften the stool. I was also given antibiotics for the first five days.

I am having some food now and gradually I notice that the area is becoming more sensitive... I will now take my first dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen and will start with the morphine either tonight or tomorrow morning as needed.

Has anyone here got experience with this and with the medication provided? Any advice? I have read quite some useful information on this forum but I guess each situation is different. I am staying home and will be working remotely in the coming two weeks (no work tomorrow). 

I will keep you all posted on my road to recovery.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there :-) I know somebody who has been in for the same thing, and had piles and fissures operated more than once, caused alot of discomfort, pain and bleeding. It can take alot of time. I hope you are feeling better and back to your normal life now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.