Fissurectomy recovery questions!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know some of you have shared your stories on other forums but please continue to share your experiences as I'm new to this site & would appreciate all the help with both good & bad stories...here it goes...

So long story long... I had a fissurectomy almost 3 weeks ago Thursday. It had to be done due to the passing of a large stool (in August) that ruptured a skin tag from a previous procedure (hemorroidectomy). Never try Herbalife, peeps!! Life was great until I tried Herbalife to lose weight from my baby 4 months ago. It honestly feels like i still have a fissure but Dr said everything is healing fine. Anyhoo, has anyone had this & how long did it take to heal? I've been applying the creams which burn & sometimes secrete in my vagina which hurts also, ugh!! Been taking flax seed, stool softeners, intaking tons of fiber. Stools have been manageable but definitely irritate the tissue down there. Showers & baths only help so much. It feels like I'm never going to get better, I'm depressed & miserable, ready to see my PC for antidepressants bc it feels like there's no light.. Going on no work week number 3. Also, how long did you wait to be intimate again? Please any info I'd appreciate. I was never told to not push your poop out & suffered greatly from doing so.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi it is just the worst place to be and totally feel for u I'm not sure how my fissure started I've lost 7 stone since Jan so I eat mega healthy and my youngest child is 6 so I've had no idea how I got it but mine lasted for 6 months of horrendous pain for hours (up to 6 hours) after a poo and with 3 kids and a business I was feeling so down as I couldn't work sometimes even look after the kids thank god I have an amazing husband to help me. I had tried everything creams pills lotions potions and noting worked ended up in a&e a few times with the pain so eventually went to a private hospital where he gave me Botox which lasted 4 days then bang pain was back so another emergency appointment to c him and he gave me another op to cut my muscle and touch wood nearly 3 weeks down the line I'm almost pain free I'm now the happiest I've been in a long time. Mayb ur muscle is back in spasm and u have torn again?? Have u had ur muscle cut? X
    • Posted

Hi Kristan, thank you for responding. I'm glad you're almost out of the woods, that's great! God is good! Glad you have a wonderful hubby to help you out & that your children are pretty self sufficient which I'm sure makes healing a little easier for you. The crazy thing is she didn't have to cut any muscles. It was a partial fissrectomy but I still feel like i have a fissure on the top upper aspect of my anus. Did you experience that also? Do you still have any spasms? Happy healing to you!
    • Posted

All I had was the Botox that didn't work then 3 weeks later things had gone do bad I had to have the muscle cut and fingers crossed I'm pain free!!! At the moment I don't seem to have spasms as the muscle has been cut I'm not sure I will have them again?? I'm going back to c the surgeon nxt week and I have a couple of questions to ask. The thought of it coming back terrified me!!! My fissure was high up I could almost pin point where it was then the piles outside but to b honest I could cope with the piles it was just the fissure that was horrific what are they going to do for you nxt then? X
    • Posted

I'm glad to hear things are looking better & better for you. Never thought of trying botox but that's only temporary & who in their right mind wants temporary! Not me! Sounds like u saved yourself from a future procedure because having piles tends to be an issue in the long run. Way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone! My fissure was closer to my vagina but not it feels like the tear was let completely close bc I still have the similar pain except now at the top of my anus. It's really weird. Spoke to the MA at the Dr's & I asked is it normal to still feel like this after almost 3 weeks & she said, no, to my surprise. I also told her the cream I was prescribed burns like hell & doesn't stop. I said I tried to go to the store to grab a few things after my stitches were out last week & I couldn't be in there more than a few mins & the pain came right back. She is going to get back to me with what the Dr says. She said to use the lido for pain. However, the lido doesn't heal me. Thought I'd be 80% & back to work today but at the moment I don't even feel 50% sad
    • Posted

The Botox apparently works for most people and relaxes the muscle enough for the fissure to heal but for me this didn't work so thank god my surgeon said he would do the cut they don't like to do it too often especially on ladies like me that have had children and bring a ladie these things are a risk factor but he could see how bad I was and the risk for me was worth it as you can become Incontinent but luckily all I have is I can hold wind in I can b walking and the wind is coming out like s trooper! But that's fine with me if I'm not in pain! Are you in the uk? Keep going you will get there it doesn't feel like it I bet at the moment.
    • Posted

Oh ok, didn't know you could become incontinent afterwards but if farting uncontrollably at random, then that is the least of what could be a whole lot worse haha. Men do it all the time & could care less! Glad you're nearing the light! Barely approaching week 3 this Thursday. Keep me updated ok? Oh, & I'm in the US. So I see why are commenting hours are so different lol
    • Posted

Hi Melas87,

I'm really ssorry that you have to go through what you hve been going through with the fissure. All of us on  this forum know the excruciating pain that you have dealt with in the past and are probably still dealing with.

I had a sphinteronomy, just like Kristan, it has literally saved my life. Without the surgery, I would still be in bed. Yea, I occasionally have to part and it is occasionally uncontrollable, but that is way worth it then being inside your house in pain all day. Some other tips I owuld recoommend would be:

----to take a fiber supplement like metamucil, although do not take too much as diarreah can actually irritate your area donwn there even more. 

----Apply a cream called calmoseptine to the area. It has menthol and I beleive zinc  oxide in it which may relieve some of the pain on the irritated tissue. 

----Squat on the toilet like anohter user said. I have never sat and pooped ever since my fissure and I will swear by the squatting position.

----Sitz baths, whichh  it  sounds like you have been doing

------My docotr prescribed me a cream called Diltazem ointment which may help, although I do not know if your problem is just irritated skin or is the sphincter muscle going into spasm causing the pain

I wish you  the best of luck  and let us all  know how  you are doing. you will get better,  there  is light at the end of the tunnel. We have all been in your place and hope you get better soon.

Myles 

• Posted

I really really hope you get sorted soon it's just the most horrible thing to keep going through but you will be sorted know you probably don't feel like it but you will!! Like I said keep pestering doctors and hopefully one of them will have a kind heart and help you out with either the Botox which mite help you or the muscle cut let me know if anything happens for you Hun or you need any advice please don't hesitate to message me x
    • Posted

Hi Marcus - thank you for all the tips & suggestions. I will seek the calmoseptine, where would I find that? I do have the diltiazem, however that tends to burn a little so I held off using that & have just been using lido & aleve for the pain. I am praying I'm well for Halloween, haha. That's my favorite holiday lol. I'll keep trucking. Keep me posted ok?
    • Posted

Myles* sorry.
    • Posted

Kristan, thank you so much for your well wishes & support. If the spasms don't chill out soon I will speak with my Dr about it this Friday. From what it looks like, most people say they'll disappear soon. I need to be more patient. Today, for once, actually feels like a little weight has been lifted, thank the good man above. Just a little though...Baby steps, right? I really think it's the worst thing anyone could go through. Hugs!!
    • Posted

Sorry for my late response. I hope you are starting to feel better. I reread this forum and definately agree that squatting is the way to go when going to the bathroom. Also, if you  listen to music while squatting to try to distract your  mind may help when trying to relax and squat. 

TO answer your question, calmoseptine is an over the counter cream and can be purchased on amazon or can be bought at most drugstores. 

Anyways, I hope you get better for hallooween and keep your spirits up. Watch some funny movies or tv in general to get your mind off of things to get better.

Best of wishes!!!

Myles

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link to a commercial site as users can use Google to find details.

• Posted

Hello, Myles, no worries about responding. Waiting for the husband to bring home the calmoseptine but he won't be back until later. I hope I'm a lot better by next Friday & Halloween. Still lots of annoying pain. Can't be up & moving more than 5 mins. The squatting has definitely help. I thank you guys for the recommendation. It's weird but whatever works. Happy weekend to all of you...
  • Posted

Hi all,

We'll it's day 22 & I'm still in lots of pain. Cannot be up & moving more than a few minutes. I'm getting hopeless. Dr appt was pushed back till the 11th so that doesn't help. I go back to work Tuesday & praying hard that I'm in better shape bc we have a huge event. Luckily, I'll be sitting most of the time. Considering getting a cushion for my bottom.

Well wishes to you all & happy weekend.

Melas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.