Fitting after hypo attack

Posted , 5 users are following.

My brother keeps suffering with hypoglycaemia attacks followed by fits

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Has he been to see a Doctor after this happens?
    • Posted

No he's being stubborn and thinks it's because he's taking the wrong dose by mistake. I'm not so sure. Not everyone suffers from fits after hypos and he's having about 3 attacks in a week
  • Posted

he definately needs to see a doctor if not just call a ambulance they will soon sort his stubboness out, because one of these days it could be fatal
    • Posted

The ambulance is mo good they just give him what he needs to bring up his levels, suggest he makes an appointment and leave

The docters ate not taking it serious. The earliest emergency appointment is in October. I'm at the end of my tether, don't know what or where to turn to next. I feel no-one is LISTENING.

• Posted

I have had Type 2 diabetes for 20 years and have had hypos but never any fits.   We are often hearing that having high sugar levels cause problems, which of course they do, but I have found that my diabetes consultant is always more worried about hypos than hypers.  There's me worrying that my sugar levels of 15 or more are bad but she concentrates on the ones that are below 4.   Your brother will end up killing himself if he carries on as he is.   I'm afraid there's not much the medical profession can do is someone is burying their head in the sand about their condition etc.   Hypos are not good and the sooner he realises that the better. Sorry but  I know how worrying it must be for you but no amount of nagging  will make him change until he's ready to, if he ever is.
  • Posted

My boyfriend had a hypo- followed by a fit about 2 months ago. He was by himself in his room and his sister found him having a seizure on the floor- by the time we tested his blood sugar it has gone back up to 4.6 as apparently adrenaline in the body during a fit can raise blood sugar allowing the individual to come out of the hypo them self. Seizures aren't uncommon after having a hypo- is your brother taking care of himself? Eating and taking the right amount of insulin/ tablets (wasn't sure whether type 1 or 2) I know that can be patronising but if he is over doing it or giving himself too much insulin then that can be the cause. But like everyone else has said- make him go to the doctor or even get a doctor to phone him that way he'll have to talk to them. Hope he is ok- and you're ok too! Xx
    • Posted

Thanks. No I don't think he is. Been put on new medication, not sure it's the right one for him. Trying to get an appointment. He lives in Kent, they have a bad reputation for looking after patients with diabetes. The same thing happened to my mum and one of the cause in her death was her treatment for her diabetes.
    • Posted

This waiting months for an appointment is terrible, why don't you / he go to the out of hours GP, just find out / ring up at 8:30 pm, I'm sure they'll have room for a Diabetic on new medicine who's having seizures,, just Google "kent(?) out of hours doctor",, seems you have to telephone 111 smile 
    • Posted

Done that already, they just refer you to a diabetic nurse who then has to make an appointment with the doctor. Like I said earliest appointment is in October. That's what they class as an emergency he could be dead by then.

That's what happened to my mum. Shewed over looked by the doctor for over 5 yrs, constant infections I'm her neck sight. By the time they did decide to do something her heart was to weak and her body was too weak.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.