Flaky face and scalp for 10 years. Advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys, after 10 years of a frustrating skin condition in finally seeking help from my peers (you guys!) instead of a dermatologist.

I have very flaky skin on my face, ears and scalp. Sometimes my skin looks amazing and smooth and even, especially when I shower a lot. But even then, if I rub it at all it will shed flakes.

It never really has a "rash" look. Don't get me wrong, it can get red sometimes, but nothing too bad. The real problem is the flakiness (word?). Doctors have used the word eczema and dermatitis, but never concretely said "You have condition x."

I've been prescribed olux, desonate (worked somewhat), doxycycline, betamethasone valerate, and a handful of other topical solutions that had minimal to marginal success.

So I'm tired of trying. Bottom line: anybody have any advice.

Thank you so much in advance. Simply posting this and reading the forums gives me more hope than I've ever had.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I would recommend that you start to use a very mild, sulfate free shampoo. After shampooing apply (a generous amount of) head and shoulders conditioner to your scalp, face, and ears. Leave it on for a good few minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. The conditioner contains Zinc Pyrithione that calms down the skin and reduces flakyness.

This method has worked extremely well for me. I used to have a very flakey scalp. The eyebrows, nose, and the area behind the ears were affected as well.  

Alternatively you could get your dermatologist to prescribe you a Zinc Pyrithione spray that you can apply to your scalp and face. 

Additionally, you could try Ceanel. It is a medicated shampoo that contains Cetrimide 10% and Undecenoic Acid 1%. It has descaling, antifungal, and antibacterial properties and is used twice a week to manage psoriasis, seborrhoeic dermatitis, and dandruff. It is very concentrated, and rather liquid. For a hair wash you will need just 0.5 -1 teaspoon. I found it is very effective at removing flakes. 

• Posted

Luckily I dont get it on my scalp but as someone else has said zinc is good for redness I use sudocrem on my face for the redness at night which can be drying so then moisturise with pure shea butter .Only use sudocremt when your face is red I also mix my own moisturiser which is Shea butter coconut oil and Vitamin e oil Coconut oil can be used on your scalp too.Good luck hope you get it under control soon. 
  • Posted

Thank you both for the advice. I have an appointment with my dermatologist in two weeks and will bring these solutions up.

Redness isn't too much of an issue.

Do you know if these can be used safely if I'm currently using minoxidil and finasteride for hair loss?

• Posted

You can definitely use the conditioner and Ceanel (the medicated shampoo). I am using minoxidil topical solution myself. The only thing I would avoid is applying Minoxidil solution to a wet scalp. 

The Zinc Pyrithione spray should be fine as well but since you have the appoinment anyway I would ask the dermatologist first. 

• Posted

Thank you very much. Will bring up these options with my doctor..!
  • Posted

hi,   have you tried Nizoral shampoo or cream.    Worked well for me and others I know.   Best cream I've used for flakiness is Bulldog Moisturiser for Sensitive skin.   But dont experiment with too many different products, can make things worse.

good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.