flare up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi im still awaiting test endoscopy and colonoscopy  doctors havnt officially diagnosed me with ibs  but they said it does sound like it, I had my gall bladder removed in feb and had this problem since then. Im practically living off chicken plain rice, potatoes,  if i dare to try eat anything different i start with bad diarehha,    I stupidly tried  2 chocolate biscuits 2 days ago and im paying for it big time now just cant keep off toilet, even water is just going straight through me,  My doctors is shut and i dont no what to take   im trying sips of water  to stop me from dehydrating   any help with what to do  would be appreciated xx

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try the Fodmap diet.  Ask your chemist for Colefac.
    • Posted

hi philippa ive been trying the fodmap diet myself  although my doctor told me not to  untill i was diagnosed,   i seem fine if i stick to fish, chicken and rice,  but soon as i add anything different i start with diarreha, hopeing i can get answers soon.  thankyou hun for replying xx 
  • Posted

Hi Patricia. if your endoscopy & colonoscopy don't show up any problems to warrant your symptoms, make sure you ask your consultant to do a sehcat test for bile acid malabsorption. even if you have had your gallbladder removed, you can still have this condition, as bile acid is still produced every time you eat. google it - you can read all about it. it is common in people with bowel conditions, but often overlooked as the symptoms mimic other conditions. if positive - it can be very effectively treated with meds. xx

• Posted

Thankyou looloo  ive already mentioned this to my doctor   but each time i ask  they seem to fob me off  with other things, and im pretty sure myself  that this is whats causing all this. Think i could do with another trip back to doctors and take my hubby with me this time  as he seems to think that they could be doing more as this as been going on for 9months now.   Thankyou very much hun for replying xx
    • Posted

Hi Patricia, you might actually get more joy out of asking your gastro consultant rather than your gp, as gastro consultants should be more clued up about this condition than gp's might be.  xx

• Posted

Hi looloo  i havnt been referred to a gastro consultant as of yet,  All i have had is bloods took stool sample took,  and only just recieved a letter regarding the endoscopy and colonoscopy saying i have to go see them on the 15th october  maybe i might be able to get more joy at this appointment   fingers crossed.   I have however booked in for a further gp appointment  to ask about testing me for the bile acid  malabsoption you mentioned   and my hubby is coming with me this time.    thankyou hun xx

• Posted

the bile acid malabsorption test is called a sehcat scan hun for your reference.  xx
    • Posted

Hi all   ive just got back from my gps  and was told they cant send me for the bile acid malabsoption test it has to be the hospital after ive had the endoscopy done,   although he give me a perscription for colestyramine    and told me that it would help with diarehha    which i dont seem to be having at present    but i have terrible flatulence  and growling stomach  can anyone tell me if this will stop the horrible gurgling  and wind  hankyou 
    • Posted

Hi Patricia. did you take your hubby with you to gp? how did that go/influence things? is the colestyramine the sachets?

before i was diagnosed & treated for bile acid malabsorption, my stomach used to growl,gurgle,squeak like an amazon rain forest!!! i can't remember if i used to get bad wind though, but once i started on the meds the noise stopped - my tummy felt quiet & calm like in the eye of a storm.......

on the colestyramine, you must make sure you follow the timelines it says on the leaflet about taking other meds or vitamins, even headache tablets - its very important as other meds can get "stuck" in your system if you don't follow the timelines it says. what dose(s) have they given you hun?

xx

• Posted

Hi looloo    yes hubby came with me we asked for the bile acid test  and he said he cant send me it  has to be hospital who send me  but told me to ask them when i go  next week, and they will sort it smile  but in the meen time to take the colestyramine 4g sachets   twice a day, at the mo im not having diarehha  so to take one sachet a day.   Im just hoping they work and allow me to eat a meal  with a small amount of fat   if im honest  i do like a couple of biscuits with a cup of tea sometimes   but even the 2 biscuits or basically anything over that would send me running to the loo,  i miss out on going for meals with the family because im scared to order anything incase they added a ingrediant what sets me off   seems everything i eat  with just the smallest of fat   sets me off with bad wind (embarrasing)  then diarehha .    It says on box  to take the sachets 60 mins before any other medicine  xx

• Posted

Hi Patricia. is it the questran sachets you are on? do check the leaflet thoroughly, mine say you have to take them either: at least 1hr AFTER  any other meds/vits  OR at least 4hrs BEFORE any other meds or the other meds will get stuck in your system. i started on 2 sachets (1sachet twice a day) calmed all the noise in tummy but not diarrea, then went upto 2 sachets 2 x a day(4 in total) made a hell of difference within couple of weeks. i have other bowel problems at present under investigation with hosp, but this med did help the bile acid malabsorption & related symptoms.  xx

• Posted

Patricia84103,

Hi Patricia, hun you've been going through this for 9 months and they haven't come up with a conclusion on what's making this keep going on with you? Have you ever had a Colonoscopy ? I know that's kinda a personal question but I have IBS and have had it for years about 29 to be exact and I had an instance where I was having diarrhea really bad and then I actually started loosing weight with it which I had never done before and I went to the doctor and they said I needed to have a colonoscopy done and I had some Fibroids and the doctor took care of them then and the diarrhea stopped. The reason I am asking this question is because you have to be careful with stuff like this going on as you could let it go too long and cause diverticulitis and that opens a whole new thing and you want to catch it before it goes that far. I wish you all the best of luck and I hope you get answers soon. Keep us updated and let us know what you find out and how your doing.

• Posted

Hi eva  thankyou for replying,   yes im due to have endsocopy and colonoscopy i have a appiontment to go see them in october,  It always end up with me making a gp appointment  and going asking them for certain test  but they always work there way round other things  so i dont end up with the test i wanted,  But ive spoken to my husband  who is also abit fed up now of seeing me like this  he has said he is coming with me next appointment   and going to be having words with them,  just want it sorted now asap as i feel so weak and sick all the time.      xx
    • Posted

letus know on here hun, how you get on at docs with taking your husband with you. i wonder if that will buck the doc up a bit..... xx
    • Posted

Thankyou looloo  and yes i will let you know how i get on and once again thankyou nice to have someone to talk to about it all  xxx
    • Posted

Patricia,

Doctors just don't understand, they think because they're doctors that there's some kind of guideline they should follow and do test they deem fit for symptoms that we have, but they would feel different if they were the one's feeling the pain and misery that we live through because they won't listen to what we have to say and I say this we know our bodies better than anyone does and they should see our point of view on how we feel and the pain we go through daily. I know it's horrible to be sick and not know from one minute to the next if we should take a change of clothes or what we should do. I wish you all the best of luck & I'm glad that your husband is going with you, I think sometimes it helps doctors to see the light if someone else is at bat for you and lay's things on the line it's like they listen more if more than you is insisting on something being done. God Bless You and keep us informed on what the doc's do. Be strong hun...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.