Flexible sigmoidoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last month i start feeling pain on the lower abdomen from the left side. The gp referred me to the hospital where i had x ray done and stool sample. Doctor said that x ray shows stool stuck on the left side of my abdomen and it might be the reason although i am not consitipated!

Today i received a letter for a flexible sigmoidoscopy appointment prior to consultant appointment.

I have googled and terrified now as all the results says that flexible sigmoidoscopy is used to find colon cancer!

My question is anyone had sigmoindoscopy done before? And why its done for?

Thanks in advance

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds to me like you would benefit from asking more questions of your doctor.  If you have a large stool that is not moving, you may have diarrhea going around it.  But a sigmoidoscopy sounds like a very invasive procedure to remove a stool.  Unless you have other conditions like kidney failure that makes laxatives a problem, I would ask your doctor if laxatives, or enemas could alleviate your problem.
    • Posted

What worries me is the stool sample. I do not know the result yet but before i do the stool sample the hospital sent me a letter to see the conjdltant next month. But after doing the sample in a week they cancelled the appointment and sent me an appointment for sigmoidoscopy instead. I don't have any bleeding though.

The a&e doctor who did the x-ray gave me laxatives it helped me and the pain is on and off now

• Posted

I would ask what they are looking for.  And would a sigmoidoscopy help in that search? 
  • Posted

I would relax Tasneem. Yes flexible sigmoidscopy looks for this among other things, but you don't get sent for one with the doctors thinking "this must be cancer." I had one last week and both my GP and consultant thought there was nothing to worry about, but generally send you as a precaution.

You have to view this in context that sigmoidoscopy is a massive nationwide screening process and only a tiny proportion of these procedures will find anything to be a concern.

Its not the most pleasant procedure but not terrible either. And the enema they give you beforehand also gives you a darn good clearout which has now completely sorted out my own symptoms (rectal pressure).

I'm no doctor, but googling what you describe, the leading culprits which they will test for would seem to be H Pylori, IBS, digestive issues and diet.

Try to relax - I know its not easy but after two endoscopies and a sigmoidoscopy I find it stunning how symptoms can often clear up straight afterwards.

• Posted

Thank you Andy that was really assuring. I always have a fear of getting cancer as every search result from google is cancer related. I will try not google and just relax and hopefully evrything is ok.
    • Posted

Yep, I'm with you there! I'm 45, run, cycle and swim regularly but I've managed to convince myself 3 times in the last 5 years I've had cancer from vague symptoms. I think if you talk to people you'll be stunned how "normal" it is to get these symptoms now and then and how many people you know have had these procedures. Its natural to worry and Googling them is a curse!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.