Flickering light in eye after Cataract surgery

Posted , 58 users are following.

Hi all

I'm recovering from cataract Implant surgery in my left eye, It''s been nearly a month since my surgery, I've found in the early morning that the light in the partial darkness of the bedroom is not an issue with my eye, but as some of you have already talked about bright light then I have to agree with you all.

In bright light I to have this flickering which comes from the left side of my periferal vision and then spreads from left to right and yes its very annoying, as I type this comment I'm having to shield the light with my left hand against the side of my face to somewhat stop the side dazzle it doesnt however stop the flicker when I move my eye left to right, when I'm looking straight forward I dont get the flicker.

I had a cataract operation and Implant in my right eye done about 7 years ago and cannot recollect having these flickering problems then ? my optician said its possible that the light reflection is coming from the implanted lens and radiating around, she said my eye needs time to settle. I hope as others have said that time is a great healer and that it eventually disappears on its own, as it is driving me nuts at present, perhaps using sunglasses with a side cover on might help me, well its something I'm going to try.

5 likes, 155 replies

155 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rady. I had cataract surgery three weeks ago and am experiencing exactly the symptoms you have described. Hard to live with; has yours improved at all? JSB
  • Posted

Yes, I had left-eye cataract surgery here in Canberra just 4 days ago, and I have since experienced pretty much the flickering vision that Rady describes.

There seems to be a lot of discussion on the Web about this condition -- stemming from patients rather than opthalmologists.  I would seem that the experts really don't have a convincing explanation, and they tend to dismiss the problem rather than attempt to explain it.  It could be a purely brain-related phenomenom, rather than physical cause,  I have yet to read a convicning explanation.

Nevertheless, I am very happy with my much-improved vision, and the flickering problem does seem to be receeding somewhat.  However, it was very noticeable in bright sunlight immediately after visiting my opthalmologist and having the dressing removed.  I'll tackle him about this apparently common side effect in a few weeks when I next see him.

I'll be interested to see if he comes up with a plausibe explanation.  Having experience the battery-hen environment he has worked in so far, I doubt he will bother to spend any time on an explanation, even if he has one.   I could be pleasantly surprised, though!

• Posted

There is indeed little on the net from consultants in the field, although I did find an article that indicated that specific lens size, edge & material contributed to the problem- viz: 6mm or less, square edge, acrylic rather than silicone. Which is mine. My consultant commented that I was 'one of his exceptional patients'- a disingenuous attempt to enhance the situation. He said he  had no patients returning to complain of the problem after 6 months-  as if to reassure me that mine too would be gone by then, but if i do still have the problem, I shall not return to him either, since I realise there is nothing more than can be done, surgically. I suspect it is a brain function problem; I am coping much better with it- bright sunshine still a problem, as is the feeling that I am looking through a keyhole, but wearing any spectacles helps - just by having a frame there seems to lull the brain into accepting the dark edge. But it would be very excellent if it did in fact disappear altogether, and I liver in hope.
    • Posted

Thanks for your input JSB.  It initially crossed my mind that the saccadal flickering could be due to strong light entering the lens via a squared edge, and then experiencing multiple internal reflections.  The flickering light appears to be originating from the left edge of the lens, and could well be alleviated by wearing horn-rimmed glasses -- a la the 1960s!!

I'll find out from the opthalmologist what type of lens he used -- that is, if he deigns to talk to one of his battery-hen patients.

• Posted

Battery hen surgery sums it up; my consultant commented with some pride that he takes approx 6 minutes to do the job (correct in my case) But he linked this to apres-surgery problems, i.e., he maintained that prolonged procedures raise the likelihood of said problems. For which there is no evidence as far as i can see. I shall be interested to know your lens type- and indeed, whether your consultant has an opinion on this issue.Also, whether he has any evidence to support the belief that a patient who experiences dysphotopsia after one procedure is likely to have the same when the second eye is done. I only read this after the event; it is another reason for hesitating to  have my right eye done, even though the present imbalance between the two is pesky.
    • Posted

"Disphotopsia" is the keyword here - positive disphotopsia.  If you type that into Google you get any number of erudite article on the subject, e.g :-

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=392&strict=

It would seem that IOL manufacterers are just beginning to pay sufficient attention to the phenomenon, and are having trouble comming to grips with it.  Acrylic lenses with squared edges seem to be some of the culprits, but not all.  It would seem the problem is purely one of physics, and optics in particular.  Needs some focussed research by the look of it, preferably by someone with 20-20 vision.

• Posted

I'm still experiencing dysphotopsia that can be annoying sometimes.

It seems that the problem is caused by light entering the lens via the squared-off edge, and reflecting internally within the lens.  The solution could be as simple as the application of an opaque layer to the squared-off edge of the lens.  Just a bit of opaque paint might do the job!!  Something nothing really.

Opthalmologists don't seem to be concerned about it.

• Posted

Why on earth would anyone design a SQUARE IOL?  Isn't that like putting a square peg in a round hole?
    • Posted

Re: light sensitivity. Every morning I'm am stunned by the brightness and my eyes literally close involuntarily!  Of course sunglasses help but for me they just delay my getting accustomed to the light, which usually happens in a couple of hours.  I hope that in the 4 months since you commented your troubles are resolving!
    • Posted

They're not concerned because they're not living with it. I wish someone could create virtual glasses which would allow them to see what we're seeing for a week. I think it might speed up the progress on figuring out what to do.
    • Posted

There is a means of measuring the movement of the implanted lens but hardly anyone seems aware of this. Unfortunately there is no solution to the condition that doe not cause further risk to your sight as far as I know. Sorry to here you are also suffering . Kind regards
    • Posted

Had both eyes done different doctors, different lens and one by laser and the other by another useing the pulse. first eye came out with bad dysphotopsia so I waited two months to do the second.

second eye has same problem but not as bad. I feel like a binking light dark or light its still flickers.

they claim don't focus on it now that is very hard when its there on your face. Yag was offer by first doctor but second doctor said that is a big risk.

• Posted

I've seen the expression "battery-hen" environment several times.  Would you please tell me what it means?  Thank you.

You are right about doctors dismissing the problem of flickering. I have that problem too.   My  doctor, after "practicing" for 30 years tells me "that's unusual" and his daughter, also an opthal. tells me "that doesn't sound good."  And then she says, "you look like have cobwebs in your eyes," apparently because of my floaters.  I was furious with them and regretted I did not comment to those insensitive remakrs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.