Flu like symptoms

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all

I'm looking for some help here. I've searched the message boards for the answer to this question with no luck.

I'm newly diagnosed with PMR. Today marks the 2 week point of taking Prednisone. 20mg = 10 mg 2X a day.

I must say it has been a life saver from the pain. Other than some issues with my tongue and taste I've had no side effects.

However, today I woke up with blurry vision which lasted about an hour. It was unnerving at first as I thought maybe GCA. But, as I had no headache or jaw issues I thought ok. Off to work I went

Here's the problem: by 10:00am blurry vision is gone but, I'm nauseated, dizzy, shaky, weak, lethargic and feverish. No headache but my head feels very heavy. Really not well. I came home.

Is it possible it has taken 2 weeks to feel side effects of Prednisone?!?! or do you think perhaps I've caught a bug with lowered immune system?

I'm supposed to take my dose now but, really can't eat a thing. Prednisone has been a God send to me reducing the dibilitating pain I had.

I'm hoping it's not the case. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As you do not have headaches neither your jaws call your attention( claudication), symptoms of GCA, you are feverish though...

The blurred vision came and is gone however the malaise is present.

I would go to the eye doctor and would for sure make an app to see your doctor.

I have GCA there are three years.

Never have headaches, neither fever unless during the onset of the illness.

You really need to see your doc due to your symptoms.

You will get the answer you need.

Take care.

Wish you get better soon.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen

I will call my Rhemy tomorrow.

I just wanted to take a minute to tell you. Since I was diagnosed, I've spent quite a bit of time on this site. Your answers have provided so much insight on managing this disease. I'm sure I speak for many when I say THANK YOU!!

• Posted

Those do not sound like side effects from pred.  You probably do have a bug of some sort, (and pred does lower your immunity) but do as iellen suggests and go to your doctor.  If you skip your pred you will feel worse.  Can you manage some little thing to line your stomach (yoghurt? toast?), and take your medicine with water?
    • Posted

Anhaga, thanks for responding. I did take my dose with a protein shake. I never thought I'd be hoping to have a virus, but, the alternative, of it being the Pred is terrifying.
    • Posted

It's a curious journey that PMR and steroids take us on.  For a while I felt like I'd fallen through the looking glass or down the rabbit hole.  But just lately I'm beginning to feel more normal and I know there will be a good end to it all.  But at the beginning it is scary.  Shortly after starting pred I came down with the worst cold I'd had in years.  That was last June.  I have not, touch wood, been sick since.  At the beginning I also got some sort of bug bite on the top of my foot that caused a funny lump under my skin and made my shoes hurt me and I went to a duty doctor about it (no I'm not usually a hypochondriac).  I hurt one of my fingers and it gave me pain for weeks and weeks.  I think there were a couple of other things.  Can't really blame any of them (except the cold?) on pred.  But it was a perfect storm of little things that seemed to pile on me, as though to make sure that I was not going to feel perfectly well on pred.  But they all passed.  Depression lifted, energy started to return, and today for the first time a couple of people said how well I looked!  I hope your journey proves at least as positive as mine appears to be becoming. wink
    • Posted

Anhaga,

You're right. It is scary. I'm trying to stay positive. I was so relieved when the Pred worked so well. And this is only a minor setback. Like you said, this is a journey. I'm sure there are many more "surprises" in store for us. I'm hoping to have a success story like yours. Glad to hear you're doing so well. I'll keep you posted.

• Posted

Danielle:

I have t  on pred for over two years now and have had the same blurred vision for a long time.  Tough since I am a tennis official.  Found that working lines I am fine but other work is difficult.  I found that reading for more than 30 minutes I would blur up, and I have always read at least an hour every night so this was a big problem for me.  About 4 months ago I was able to read for 60 minutes plus.  One of the happiest days since I got PMR.  I still have problems with the blurred vision but it is somewhat tollerable.  There are many other side effects that you may or maynot get.  I occasionally feel nausea, some symptons of diabetes, lack of smell and taste.  The worst, for me, is the lack of energy and stamina.  Because that has become so accute for me I have had to quit officiating.  Occasionally I have 2-3 days with more energy but that's about it.  The toughest thing is to reallize that PMR can last 2-8 years and there really is not one damn thing you can do about it.  Very frustrating but it is a fact of life.  Frustration, as you are starting to discover, is not knowing whether your symptoms are normal, caused by the PMR or caused by the pred.  Thats whats good about this site, I've learned more from people on it that all the doctors I have seen.  Good luck and dont hesitate to ask your questions.  Hope I was a help.

Tony

• Posted

Do you take Vitamin B12 ?

Take it after breakfast with other vitamins and supplements you normally do.

Your lack of stamina and energy will go away.

Wish  you will feel much better soon!

• Posted

Thanks Tony. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer.

The blurry vision was this morning when I first woke up. It lasted about an hour.

I really hope these aren't Pred side effects. I would think they would have presented right away. My sense of taste and burning tongue was they very next day after starting.

Sorry to hear you had to quit officiating tennis.

And your right about this site. I feel like its a blessing.

Take care

• Posted

I am relatively new ... only had PMR since November. I do get vision issues once in a while, and take break from my work. Flu like symptoms come and go, and for me is a sign that I probably need more rest. Short naps and just resting takes care of it. Also I go to "pick my up" snacks, like nuts, and chocolate to restore more energy to my body.
    • Posted

I have been overdoing it. I guess I was relieved to be pain free and have energy again. I do feel a bit better after resting today. Thanks Nick
  • Posted

Blurry vision can be a side affect of pred, however your other symptoms sound like a bug of some sort. I hope you feel better soon, take it easy and don't overdo things.

Pred really is a miracle when you first take it, I still think back to how awful it was before pred!

• Posted

Thanks. I'm really hoping it is just a bug. I'm going to try to slow life down a bit more. So frustrating.
    • Posted

I decided to start pampering myself which can make life a bit more pleasant!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.