Flu like symptoms before period

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I am noticing since entering peri, that occasionally right before my cycle is due, I will get flu like symptoms ( low grade fever, achey, sluggish and very tired). I am reading that it is due to prostaglandins building up in our bodies and this can be very common. Has anybody else had this? I am also reading just to take Motrin to help with this. I felt awful last night, took a Motrin and felt great until just now. The low grade fever is back, as well as the achey feeling and sooo tired! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Snowbell...me again smile

I quite often feel like I am coming down with something but don't.

Today I feel really run down and hot and my ribs are aching...but when I take my temp I don't have a high one. If I take paracetamol it makes me feel better until it wears off but I can't live on paracetamol my whole perimenopause.

• Posted

Hi Janine and Karen , its awful isn't it? I agree, I can't keep taking Motrin everyday, its not good for our bodies. I sure hope what I read is true and its just the prostaglandins, it frightens me because I had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove my ovary and both tubes, as well as a D&C, but no fever or problems until now that my cycle is due. I was scheduled to start my period yesterday, but nothing. Im told the D&C could delay my bleeding, but im sure the hormonal side and issues it brings stays on course. And Karen yes, it does feel like cystitis, but I recently had an infection check and was all good. So odd how peri does this to us
  • Posted

Hi Snowbell this happens to me all the time chills then sweating all sore and terrible fatigue I mentioned it to the doctor so gonna have my bloods done also I feel like I have constant cystitis have you this symptom ? Hope you feel better soon it sucks  I have fibromyalgia and it flares up bad when I am due am on Elleste 1mg for 9 months but I feel they have stopped working ☹️
    • Posted

Karen, look into Magnesium Malate for the fibromyalgia. A friend of mine with fibro takes it and swears by it. She buys it on Amazon. I know it can make the peri worse at times. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you Snowbell I sure will hope you feel better soon am glad we are not alone and other experience these terrible symptoms that way we know we are not alone 😊
  • Posted

I get this quite often and I don't like it. I had the chills and felt achy the other day. It scared me because I thought I was coming down with the flu and both my kids and my mom has been sick recently. The funny thing is, it goes away the next day like nothing. I don't take anything for it because I don't know what to take. This whole peri thing is crazy.
    • Posted

Oh my goodness, im sorry it hits you too. Its just the most baffling thing isnt it? I was so feverish and chilled the last 2 evenings, but after taking the Motrin, it went away. It leaves me to believe its the prostaglandins acting up. Oh being a woman is such a pain!
    • Posted

I've had a slight fever too and started me thinking that I'm really sick. All this is just downright scary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.