Flu vaccine and AF

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi.

I had a flu vaccine 5 days ago and went into AF about 8 hrs later. It has just stopped. One of the "buffers" in the vaccine was similar to substances that have been in food that have triggered my AF in the past- sodium phosphate. Don't know whether it is worth avoiding the flu or just putting up with being lethargic from the AF. The world seems to be full of sulphites and preservatives- l also had a reaction to shampoo at a new hairdresser- came out in hives. Don't know why all of a sudden last year l started being sensitive to certain substances which have led to me having AF. It's a "frustrating journey finding out what triggers it and then avoiding it.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robyn,

As I think I have mentioned before I have had a compromised immune system for many years, that has finally led to me getting AF There are many things that cause me to itch come out in a rash all sorts of meds and foods that other people tolerate, I don't want to be a jobs comforter but maybe you have an undiagnosed Auto Immune disease I have Sjogren Syndrome and pallindromic rheumatism that both effect the function of the immune system and there are many more, lots of them do not have a cure but are not life threatening, but just knowing why something is happening to you can be half the battle. 

• Posted

Have you had allergy testing? When I did I reacted to Formaldehyde. It is used to kill the live virus in some versions of the flu vaccine. I used to itch for weeks after having my jab. Less versions have it now but I alwys make sure that I get the fomaldehyde free version now.

There are so many triggers. The sulphites in some wines also set me off.

• Posted

Actually formaldehyde should be outlawed - it is a cross linking reagent that really does nothing positive but covalently cross react substrates to make them a part of the tissue that comes in contact with each other. Here in the USA it still is used in some hair straightening crap, and there is nothing positive about it, other than the hair is irreversibly de-tangled for a few months. Its amazing wehat some idiots still get away with.
    • Posted

It seems to be in everything, soaps, shampoos, detergents, tooth paste, fabric conditioners It is used in the finishing of practically all materials, and floor flloor coverings, wallpapwrs and paint. You can't get away from it. A lot of people have reacted to their furniture and car seat coverings.

The dermatologist gave me a list of formaldehyde free products but said that they are always subject to change and not to rely on it and to contact companies from time to time.

It is even in the best known brand of baby shampoo and the so called most gentle detergent that features a baby on the logo.

• Posted

I do not see how, in any way, the sodium phosphate is your culprit. Our bodies are loaded with sodium phosphate in the blood, in all cells - everywhere! It is a major buffer to keep the body's pH from going out of control. It is used in the flu vaccine primarily to keep the pH at about 7.4, the normal pH of the body and all of its tissues.

You coiuld be eliciting an immune response that includes the release of histamine. Try taking some benedryl (50 mg) and see if it blocks the afib before it starts, or after it had begun (then it might take 1-2-hours). Benedryl is safe.

Over 100 years ago histamine was discovered by its ability to induce cardiac rhythm issues and something a simple as benedryl blocks that action.

When you get vaccinated, you are eliciting an immune response, and that might include histamine.

Frank  

• Posted

Well said Frank I second that, Immune system response !!!

Linda.

• Posted

Hi Robyn....I live in Adelaide S.A. And am 49.

I guess with AF, it's diferent for everyone. I was recommended to get the flu vaccine this year, as well as the pneumovax, and have no issue with either. I drink a couple of coffees a day, have chocolate and have had a couple of big(ish) nights on the booze since I went into AF early last Dec.

I'm still pretty careful with my sodium intake though.

Admittidly, I am on Amioderone, which as I understand it, is one of the strongest anti arrithmia tablets that there is. I suspect that when I see my cardiologist next week, he'll put me on to Sotolol as he doesn't want me on this stuff long term, as it has potentially very nasty side effect!

I only stayed in rhythm for a few days on Sotolol when I was cardioverted for the first time back in January. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I come off the Amioderone.

i addressed all the things that I suspected sent me into AF (severe sleep apnea, smoking and regular BIG nights on the booze-yes, I know I just admitted to having two big(ish) nights on the grog-very silly of me!!!)

I'm currently taking carvedilol, perindoprol & Amioderone, am also on apixaban for a blood thinner

just wondering what meds you are on as I'm a little worried that coming of the Amioderone may make me more sensitive to going back into AF?

Cheers,

Simon smile

• Posted

I had flu shot today and within a couple  hrs. I was in afib.  Wear an apple watch that showed My hr jumpedto over 160 while in the office getting the shot...it may have been enough...then I went to play golf...and could not...heart flopping all over.  Now hoping the PIP flecainide will bring NSR 🙏

• Posted

In 2014 I went into atrial fibrillation for the first time in my life a few hours after having the flu shot. At first the medical people were reluctant to acknowledge that it could have been a rare, but extreme allergic reaction.Then in September 2018 I had the second attack. The only trigger I could think of was that I was dehydrated as it was an extremely hot day (high 90's) and we have no air conditioning. Then I had another attack five weeks later. I drink absolutely no alcohol and consume no caffeine, other than the trace amounts in decaf coffee, and I only have one cup of that a day. I live in constant anxiety of having another attack as I need emergency room treatment to get my heart back into a normal sinus rhythm. My primary care physician for 25 years told me that it is too dangerous for me to have another flu shot. He retired, and now my new pcp was suggesting I have the flu shot. Last season I had no flu shot and did not have the flu or even a cold all season, while other people my age had the flu shot and still got the flu.I'm tempted to take the flu shot this year as I am in my 70's and there are all kinds of scary warnings out there about the need to have the flu shot. But I think I am more afraid of having another A-fib attack. I am on Warfarin and Atenolol. It's not that I am happy that someone else also had an A-fib attack after the flu shot, but it makes me feel somewhat validated that it did happen to others.

• Posted

i have never had an episode if Afib until a month ago, on the same day i had the flu shot. I've had many flu shots before, but this one caused a large bruise that lasted for 2 weeks. I am 58 years old, very active, and healthy. I am on diltiazem for exercise induced SVT, and have been on that for 5 years, with relatively low or no recurrences.I don't drink a lot, one drink or two on a friday or saturday night and that's it. thr night it happpened, i had been out to dinner eith friends, had one drink, came home, took a bath, and then it happened. It didn't stop, so my husband drove me to the ER. i finally converted on my own, right before they were going to shock me. Haven't had any since, and have worn the event monitor for about 30 days. i have mentioned the flu shot connection to the cardiologist NP, but she wasn't convinced that was the trigger. I would really like to figure out what set me off. So frustrated, and frightened that its going to happen again.

• Posted

Medical professionals are VERY resistant/reluctant to acknowledge medication side effects. My primary care physician finally agreed that the flu shot was probably the trigger. I had radiation for left side breast cancer in 1991 and I believe it caused a Right Bundle Branch Block in my heart, which is benign. Also, I had had no heart incidents of any kind until October 2014, and then a four-year hiatus, and then one at the end of August of this year and the next at the end of September. I was practically a teetotaler and now I drink nothing alcoholic, and now I am as caffeine free as possible. I even take it easy on chocolate. They recommend moderate exercise, but I am so afraid of even that. I do climb stairs regularly as I live in a two-story house and the laundry is in the basement, and I try to get a little moderate pace walking in regularly. Learning to deal with the uncertainty of it all is very anxiety-producing. I found that cancer (I'm a two-time survivor) was far less frightening. It's the unpredictability of the A-fib that bothers me terribly. I am working on trying to get the anxiety under control. Believe me, I totally understand what you are going through. We live close to hospitals, but now I am afraid to travel (especially by plane) when you don't have easy access to emergency room treatment.We had planned to go to Scotland at the end of October, but had to cancel. All three times my treatment was intravenous Cardizem, which brought my heart rhythm back to normal within two-three hours.Stay in touch..... By the way, I am 76, so I have to expect more health issues, but before my episodes this year my best life-long friend pronounced me "the healthiest old lady" she knew.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.