Flucloxacillin Should not be given to elderly

Posted , 2 users are following.

The 500mg version was prescribed to my mother, 2 days after her 92nd birthday. She had been reasonably fit, able to use her 3-wheeled walking-frame, and had a healthy appetite. She was in a respite Home when these were prescribed for a pressure sore on the side of her toe (which she already had). As the Home obtained the capsules, I didn't get to read the leaflet - if I had, I would have queried them being prescribed. Mum developed diarrhoea, severe loss of appetite, and a runny nose, as well as severe fatigue. She has yet to recover fully, 3 weeks on. Last week, a new prescription of them was given to her, but this time I am not going to let her take them, as I have read the leaflet and they are NOT suitable.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello i can totley understand what your mum went through im only 23 and i was runing to toilte and really bad stomach pains. Ive got tonsils and they gave me them GP said awwww its a side effect the diarea but i said it not good at all i need something else so shes given me sumat else now im still going toilte but not much. These drug compneys need to find a new drug that is better than this one its making people ill and bed ridn
  • Posted

I had a similar sounding prob with my second toe for which I was firstly prescribed Flucloxacillin @ 500mg every 6 hrs for a week. The toe started to look/feel better at first but after a week it hadn't, so I took myself to A&E in pain! (2 week waiting time at the GP!)where they advised me that I had an adverse reaction to the drug. They put me on a different course of antibiotics - Clarithromycin (non penicillin type) @ 500mg every 12 hrs for 
  • Posted

I had a similar sounding prob with my second toe for which I was firstly prescribed Flucloxacillin @ 500mg every 6 hrs for a week. The toe started to look/feel better at first but after a week it wasn't, so I took myself to A&E in pain! (2 week waiting time at the GP!)where they advised me that I had an adverse reaction to the drug. They put me on a different course of antibiotics - Clarithromycin (non penicillin type) @ 500mg every 12 hrs for another week. Meanwhile the first lot had caused 'hive' like itchy blisters all over, for which I was told to take antihistamines twice a day. These are now fading but the skin is now peeling off in those areas as well as the toe, which is still discoloured! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.