Fluid behind ears(eardrums)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Doctor at ER told me I had fluid behind my ears which was viral , not bacterial. Therefore no antibiotic prescribed but rather a steroid nasal spray. She said it would take about 2 weeks to resolve. It's been a week thus far but feels no better , actually feels worse. Very sharp pains in the one ear which I didn't have when I first went to ER. Has anyone experienced this and how long did it take before your ears felt back to normal? The sharp pains kind of terrify me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had both ear drums burst 2nd jan caused by chest, sinus and ear infections. Allergic reaction to antibiotics so given oral steroids. Lost hearing in both ears so saw emergency ENT who have me nasal steroids (2 bottles) and they said I now have glue ear. It's now 7 or 8 weeks and I'm still getting sharp pains plus a blocked feeling and sometimes feels like I sniffed water up my nose with a burning feeling. I see ENT again end march and they said it'll either be large dose steroids (60mg) or grommets

I've always been told this could take up to 3 months to recover

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

So if there was an infection present than I guess it was a bacterial thing?I asked for an antibiotic but Dr. said it wouldnt help because it was viral. l wondered how she knew it wasnt an infection? I had no fever but how else would she know?

Anyway best of luck...hope things clear up for you soon.

• Posted

I'm not sure how they work out whether it's bacterial or viral. I'd been the week before the perforations as I was feeling fluey and breathing issues (I'm asthmatic) and that dr said it's viral but within days I was suffering sinus problems and pain and 2 days later severe pain and perforations. Gp said it's all bacterial but I suffered anaphylaxis with erithramycin so then they were all scared to try any others so I've had to deal with it without ABs

I hope you get it sorted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.