Fluid intake

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there

My mum who is 90, is being monitored for kidney problems, however, I just can't persuade her to drink enough fluids.  My question then is how much water or similar fluids, should she be drinking in a day to keep her kidney's healthy?  I drink water with every meal and often in between, but she just drinks the ocassional cup of tea, coffee or glass of sherry, none of which are either sufficient, or particularly healthy.

Any advice gratefully received

LIzzie xxx

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

Although this may not answer your question, I am similar to your mum in that I struggle to get as much fluid as I need. Ive just had one of my kidneys removed after developing kidney disease as a baby so my water intake is very important in keeping my other kidney healthy now. If im simply not thirsty I always have foods like watermelon or cucumber in my fridge that i can snack on. Foods that have a high water content so that even when i know I should drink but really dont want to im still getting water through my snacks. This may be more appealing to your mum if she can just intake more 'watery' foods.

The other thing I would suggest is a good water bottle! I dont particularly like the taste of water so i bought a britta filter bottle and since ive had that ive drunk a lot more as I always have my bottle with me. This might encourage your mum if she always has a supply of water with her.

I hope this is useful and good luck!

Jess

• Posted

Old ladies drink tea not water:-)

When my mother was in hospital with a broken hip at 92 they said that she was dehydrated and would not drink water or squash. I said give her tea and she will drink it. The modern university educated nurses chorused. Tea is not good for old ladies it contains potassium!

She was moved to another hospital and given as much tea as she wanted.

• Posted

Although tea is great and I drink far too much it is NOT good for kidneys. Both tea and coffee are diuretics and put the kidneys under stress. If tea is the only option it should at least be a mint or fruit tea as these are less strenuous on the system
    • Posted

But they are not the 'Tea' as that older people are used to. I'm told that tea is less of a diuretic than coffee.
  • Posted

Lizzie, I always drink at least a pint and a half of water a day, but other fluids can be taken into acount such as from soups and other drinks - although coffee and alcohol are both dehydrating so some sips of water alongside those would be advised, although probably not popular!
  • Posted

To all of you who have kindly replied so quickly

Thanks for all your advice, one I paticularly liked was soups as I know she loves soup and does have a bowl most days, curiouslyh the otgher day I bought her two nnice new Denby soup bowls, so that I will definitly be encouraging.  Another drink she likes is tonic water, but is it  safe with the quinine in it?  I don't think I could get her to come round to fruit teas as she is very traditional but I try to make sure she does at least have a cuppa after every meal.

I live an hour's drive away and get down as often as I can and have been working on  her drinking for a while now, trying to keep her fluids up and I think I'm making some progress.  She is amazing for her age with an active social life, physically fit on the whole and menatly alert.  Since posting my first message I have spoken to her on the phone and she told me she actually had a glass of water last night in the evening; maybe my messaged is getting though.

Thanks again for all your input

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Lizzie, I wouldn't risk the tonic water at her age if she hasn't had it before as the quinine it contains can be a little toxic for some people.  How about a slice of lemon or lime in the ordinary water - that can be quite refreshing and more inviting that just water.
    • Posted

She's been drinking tonic water all her life, originally in a g&t, but latterly with elderflower cordial.  She doesn't drink too much of it fortunately and her alchohol intake is well under the recomended untis per week.  I'll suggest the slice of lemon in tap water though, I think she might like that.

xxxx

• Posted

That is aa good point for overall kidney health & a good reminder. I probably don't drink nearly what I should but somehow still pee 100x a day.

Monday should have CT results...

• Posted

I had kidney problems last year and I was on a restricted fluid intake and had to limit myself to a litre per day.

Sounds like your mum is a pretty tough character, hope she does well ?

Fruit like water - melon, as other have said, is healthy and tasty.

Good luck, Eric 

• Posted

Thansk Eric

She is tough in an old fashioned understated sort of way.  She's been brilliant with me over my life with all my problems, I love her to bits :-)

Good luck to you too

Lizzie

xxx

• Posted

It is generally known, that it is necessary to drink sufficiently in order to keep the kidney healthy, and dehydration can lead to kidney disease and kidney failure. But once a kidney disease is diagnosed and patient is on medication, he is adviced to restrict his fluid intake to avoid swelling of limbs. Then I wonder, how wil it be possible for the kidney to become cured? I am asking because of my friend, she is restricted to 400ml water daily, but in Indian clilmate with temperatures over 40 degree celcius. I am worried for her, and would like to find an alternative for her, as her condition is not improving. She looks increasingly sick. She has also chest pain, feels very weak, and from before she  has high BP also. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.