Fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, new to the forum and looking for some advice please.

This is my fourth case of depression since I was 21, im 33 now. The first 3 times I couldn't really pinpoint a reason why depression came over me, but I felt the fluoextine helped a lot.

This time I believe its self inflicted due to a major f**k up Ive made in my life. I've been prescribed flouxetine again but im having some serious side affects that I never experienced before, like feeling sick all the time, no appetite, really bad anxiousness, thoughts about not being able to carry on etc.

I cant help but feel that because of this ongoing issue I have in my personal life, its tearing me apart tbh, that its having a negative affect on the fluoextine.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

C

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi there im sorry your having so much.bother and i think.it could well be your tablets as i was put on them a long time ago and had to have them changed as 8 found they made me very aggresive i know everyones different but i personally not recommend them ! ask if you can try some thing different like citlopram or venelafaxine i wosh you the best.of luck david !
    • Posted

Hi Celtics, thanks for the advice.

Ive never had side affects like the ones Im having now, thats what makes me think that Im in too much of a mess inside and its bringing out the worst of the affects.

This makes me think that even if I changed meds it wouldn't make any difference, what a mess sad

• Posted

Hi lebowski

How long have you been on the flux

And what dose

• Posted

Hi Daz, been on them for 10 days now. The dosage is 20mg
    • Posted

Also, I work shifts and since I started taking them ive been on nights, so I take it when I get home in the morning b4 I go to bed.

Ive been waking up after a couple of hours feeling anxious and unable to get back to sleep which makes for a long night at work.

• Posted

hi bud i just noticed you are working shift work i would check with your doctor because when i was on nights i had to take my venlafaxine at night because when i took them in the morning thats what was wakening me up ! but.if you are on rotating.shifts its harder to judge whats the.best.time for you to take yours ! good luck david
    • Posted

Ive to see my doctor again in 2 weeks. Im nights next week then back on days for 2 weeks so it chops and changes, think I might take them about 5 pm that way I wont be taking them then going to bed because its not helping me sleep. Don't really want to go down the route of sleeping pills.

Thanks again David

• Posted

Hiya, were you feling sick with no appetite before taking the Fluox'? If you were then that would be the illness of depression itself and not the drug. When I get ill with depression I get the same sickness and zero appetite and with me it's the illness causing these symptonsnot a drug. This may help you to decide whether to stay on it and give it a chance to work, if it's making you feel ill then speak to your doctor who may switch meds. Good Luck and wish you well, Keni
    • Posted

Hi Keni, yeah I guess I didn't have much toof an appetite prior to starting the meds. Im just worried that im so anxious and heartbroken that its negating the effects of the drugs. Im not gonna stop taking them because I know they've helped me in the past.

I suppose im just a bit of a mess right now and need to give the fluoextine a chance.

Thanks again for the reply

Chris

• Posted

Hiya Chris, I've been EXACTLY where you are mate.......things do get better I promise ya! It sounds to me that you have the same kind of depression as I have, i.e. not caused by something that's recently happened but by an illness called depression. This type is physical and caused by a chemical imbalance so my psychiatrist told me. That may sound weird but there is a difference which is why I asked, did you feel nauseous / sick before taking the Fluox'?
    • Posted

The previous 3 bouts of depression were down to a chemical imbalance because there was nothing I could put my finger on that was causing it. Plus my mum and sister have suffered from depression so I put it down to it being hereditary.

Unfortunately this time I've brought it on myself, got involved in a relationship I shouldnt have, that was always doomed to fail and took so much out of me and now its over im devastated and cant function properly.

Thanks for your kind words and for the encouragement

Chris

• Posted

Plenty more fish in the sea Chris, looks like all you need to do is follow the old line I use."If there's something you can do about it, do it....if not, forget it and move on". It works for me. Sorry if that sound simplistic but it's true. Get yourself out there and meet a nice young bird! Hope things get better for you soon, Keni
  • Posted

Hi, shift work can also add to one's depression due to lack of sunlight.  I've heard of people who are on shift work using a full spectrum lamp to help with their depression and it works. So, in addition to your meds, you might try getting a full spectrum lamp, one that is at least 10,000 lux and using that while you are at work, or when you are at home. 
    • Posted

Thanks Lawren, I will read up on those lamps. Anything that would help is worth looking in to.

Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.