Fluoxetine dose time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive just been prescribed 20mg fluoxetine daily for anxiety.

I took it 5 years ago and did really well with it but i cannot remember what time of day i took it.

What is the best time to take it? I really dont want to be drowsy through the day, but I also do not want to be kept awake at night with it either. 

So what time is the best time of day to take it please? also how quick might i feel the benefit of it?

thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I was told to take it first thing in the morning...to start with for the first few weeks this can make you sleepy, but usually that will feel better over time. I would say to give it at least 12 weeks to begin feeling a proper benefit, but everyone's different...so you may feel better sooner or later than that...but I have found it to be really beneficial and i've been prescribed it for depression and anxiety. I was on 20mg end of July this year and have been on 40mg since the end of Sept. This is a great place to come for help as everyone is lovely and will do all they can for you when you need it. 

Hang in there x

• Posted

Hi Kim. I'm finding it lot so better now that I'm on 20mg instead of 60mg.. it's going well for me so far.. but I was on it for over two years .. my memory a lot better.. and it's a bonus I'm loosing weight.but I will remain on 20mg indefinitely.

• Posted

It does make me a bit drowsy, im on week 3 going into week 4 now.

Also it makes me wake up more anxious and agitated but once im up and about im ok. I dream more too. My head feels fuzzy weird little headaches and a few pins and needles in my fingers which isnt really bothersome. Apart from that im not too bad. so far so good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.