Fluoxetine mg reduction

Posted , 3 users are following.

Haven't seen any discussions on reduction of fluoxetine. I was on citalopram before and was switched to fluoxetine 60 mg. However the 60 mg was wiring me up way to much and was only on the 60 of fluoxetine for 20 days. I was then lowered to 40 mg. It's been 18 days since the reduction. But I could feel the effect at day 14. My question is #1 has anyone had experience with lowering and adjusting to a drop in mg? #2 And do I begin tracking the weeks from the 14 day mark when 50% of the medicine was out of the system? Or from the day it was reduced?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The studies I've read for the least side effects and withdrawals is 3-4% of the mg taking reduction every 1-2 months. This is my plan to do as I made the mistake of following with a large reduction from my psychiatrist advice when I was on citalpram. Minimal amounts and slow.

• Posted

How long were you on fluox for total?
    • Posted

Total six weeks. 20mg 1st week 40 the second 60 the third. 4th week dropped to 40mg. Been on 40 for 2 weeks and three days.
    • Posted

Seriously? What stupid Doctor does those types of increases so quickly... they did not even allow you to settle to see what dose is right for you...

No wonder you feel pumped up... You should not even be on that dose yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.