Fluoxetine newbie.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have been prescribed Fluoxetine 20mg for depression, stress and anxiety 3 days ago. I feel worse than ever! Can't seem to switch off my worries at all. Is it true that this is normal and I will feel better in 2-3 weeks? Any help would be grateful received- if I can just stop worrying 😐

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely this is normal - it gets worse before it gets better.  Please don't expect to feel better in 2-3 weeks though, that's often the time when side effects start to wean off.  It can take 3-4 months or even 6 months - but please try not to let this worry you as the wait is so worth it.

Small progress should be monitored in months, not weeks.

Its a long rocky road, but do persevere as they really do work once you're through it all.  Accept everything you encounter along the way - it'll be the medication, not you.

After 15 years of depression I recovered by taking SSRI 's.  For me, having to wait months to recover was nothing to the years of being ill.

Keep in touch on this site, there's many people that will give good advice.

Best wishes

K x

• Posted

Hi there, you've done well to log into this site - very informative and supportive! I started Fluoxetine 20mg 13 weeks ago.  I can't begin to list all the nightmare side-effects - sleeplessness, suicidal ideation, morning jitters - afternoon lethargy++ - the list is endless.  I note some folk on this site have experienced improvement after a couple or so weeks, but for me, it has taken 12 weeks - so only the last fortnight have I started to feel the benefits.  I think a lot of folk don't realise how long it takes for Fluoxetine to kick in and they go back to their GP after a week or so, and get the dose upped to 40mg - which can bring on all those early side-effects - again!  The secret, I believe, is to be patient.  It might help to keep a log of how you're feeling, so you can properly see how you're doing, rather than relying on vague memory/emotions.  I'm starting to laugh again - first time in years, so it's worth the struggle!

Anne x x

• Posted

Thank anne276and katecogs for your replies. I am glad that you have found relief from all of this. I have always been a worrier, think I was born sensitive, but lately it has become awful, taking over my life. Guess by going to the GP is the first step to my recovery, als didn't realise just how many people are affected. Best wishes to you both xx

• Posted

Yep, I guess going to the GP to ask for help is the first BIG step towards recovery.  And it takes courage to do that - so well done; you've started on the road to recovery.  And remember - one step at a time, it's a test of patience now.

Anne x x

• Posted

Hello , I am just over the 4 week mark and it's been tough side effects are awful I'm really hoping they pass soon it can take a few months to feel the benefits I've been told feeling horrible at the moment :-( hang in there xx
    • Posted

Blimey doesn't exactly fill me with confidence Littlebluedag 😉 I do hope the side effects pass for you soon, take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.