Fluoxetine, stomach and bowel

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since taking fluoxetine in the mornings my stomach and bowel are still upside down 6 weeks in. I means I can not do anything to start my day until it settles, sometimes it's 5 hrs to be able to go out without having to worry about the loo. All other symptoms have settled in the main but I seem to be stuck with the bowel and stomach problems......

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Serotonin is controlled in the gut that's why SSRI can cause bowel, stomache problems when initially taken. (When you get anxious or nervous you get nausea etc)

My stomach settled after 9 weeks, mornubgs were the worse and I still get heartburn but funnily enough I don't get any irritable bowel problems like I used too. I do need the loo more but that's no bad thing.

Keep going week 9 is generally the settling point eat little and often try not to dwell too much it will exaserbate the anxiety

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply, it helps to know its not just me........
  • Posted

Hi Paul.  I had the same experience with fluoxetine, although I take it at bedtime.  Like you, my problems persisted for several hours, which meant that going out wasn't practical.  I have found that these problems have, for the most part, settled now although it has taken a good 3+ months.  From what I have read on this forum, stomach problems seem to feature quite commonly, although it doesn't make it easier to tolerate!  If you are concerned about the severity of your symptoms, maybe chat to your GP.  I found that by controlling my food content & portion size this helped and I was beginning to despair that my stomach problems would ever go away whilst taking this medication.  Try not to get too anxious.

• Posted

It's good to know it will settle, waking up with it just kicks off a bit of anxiety. Keep going.......... Things will get better... .

• Posted

That's exactly how I felt.  On top of feeling anxious and depressed, I had additional anxiety about the stomach problems and used to dread the mornings.  Try to stay positive and try eating little and often, as oppose to big meals.  Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.