FLUOXETINE WEIRD SIDE EFFECTS

Posted , 7 users are following.

Today is day 11 on fluoxetine, the side effects that i get are probably more anxiety...(cant breath, get hot, get cold, nervous, jittery, dizziness) Can anyone tell me if this is normal. could this be my body and the meds havent kicked in or could it be the meds giving me more anxietyand panic?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

it quite normal for your anxiety and panic to get worse when first starting fluoxetine before it gets better.
  • Posted

I am day 13 on Fluoxetine, had them before,but didn't expereience side affects, but think this time  I am a little worse with depression and anxiety, so yes I am getting a lot of side affects, which are not pleasant, but so i have been told on this site it takes 4 - 8 weeks for you to feel any better, so hang on in there, I am going to do just that.... with you all the way..... Hilary
    • Posted

Keep me posted...that way I know I'm not alone..I just hate that all day feeling of not being able to breath.
  • Posted

Yes. I felt way worse and some terrible side effects. Would have been nice to get a warning from the prescribing Dr. I'm approximately 4 months on switching and taking 1/2 of what I was prescribed. It's definitely for me anyway a difficult one to get use to. Takes each person there own time. Definitely not easy.
  • Posted

Takes a while to kick in.I am on week 10, and still having hot sweats, and nauseous. I have been told not to try and rush it. X
  • Posted

Hi Jesika,  day 14 today for me, went to see my GP, I do at last have lovely doctor, which helps,I can talk to him really easily, I was actually given Diazepam to help with the anxiety, not by my own GP, just to help with the anxiety till the fluoxetine kicked in, only as and when I needed them, as i was told it was like a sticking plaster, till I healed, today I haven't had any diazepam, just my flkuoxetine, not haveing a bad day up to now, not brilliant, but a lot better, might not be as good tomorrow , but the fact it's working , so lets hope this will start hapening for you, everone is different, it can also depend on how long you have been ill, and what for, mine has been a slow decline in the last 7 months, and it will probably take a while for me to get to the person I was, trying to think positive.... keep me posted..... Hilary
    • Posted

today is day 12 and i saw my spych yesterday and he upped my dosage to 40mg of fluoxetine and gave me seroquel for my anxiety but only for 10 days........... he says the side effects im feeling are not from the meds but more from my own anxiety....so i took 1 pill of the seroquel last night and i knocked me out, today i woke up feeling still sleepy(calm). I dont think i can take this pill in the day as i have to be at work, he says i need to try to relax and go on with  my daily routine and stop trying to google my symptoms and stop thinking about them too mcuh because im only making my anxiety worse. he assured me this med will work within time............. So im praying................We should update on here see how our progress goes. I will pray for you too.
    • Posted

Hi, why don't you ask your spych if you can brake the seroquel in half, that's all you might need right now, it's worth a try, it still might calm you, and you might not feel as sleepy, i must admit to start with I really did need the diazepam, i don't quite take the way they asked me to now, but now the anxiety's calming down a bit, i think the fluoxetine is starting to work (Fingers crossed) my day might not be as good tomorrow, but the fact I have had a good one tells me good day and maybe less bad days, which is an improvement..... I also don't think it is a bad thing to share how you feel, as you then find out that people do get better, given time, and personly I do think there are side affects in the very beginning, but they wear off... Hope i have been a help.... and yes I will pray for you as well.... keep me posted..... Hilary  x  smile

• Posted

It's normal.  These side effects will pass in time.  It takes a lot of time to recover, some quicker than others.

Give it some weeks for the side effects to wear off.

xx

• Posted

I know thats' what i keep telling myself, but i make myself so paranoid when i feel something weird in my body...like if something is wrong. but i will keep trying to be strong so i dont throw in the towel.
    • Posted

I am also just starting prozac - probably about day 13 i think...and my anxiety and aggitation have increased as well. Just hangin in there, like u, hopeing that it will get better with time. Xx keep posting, its good to share the journey.
    • Posted

The meds changed my life.  I was ill on and off for 15 years and within 6 months of starting the meds I had recovered.  It was such a relief.  It can be a bit of a tough journey on the meds, but the time waiting for them to work was a small price considering how long I'd suffered.  For me, the side effects weren't any different to the anxiety and depression I was suffering from anyway.

Today I'm still well and loving every minute of it.  It'll happen for you too - don't give up as it's worth the wait.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.