Flying

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all

Very excited just booked a holiday to the USA, ( from UK )

I had my first hip replaced this time last year, the other one 5 months ago. 

I was wondering about setting off the security alarms at the airport.

My new hips are Titanium and ceramic.

Anyone any experience of airport security?

I am willing to show them my scars!!!!! Very proud of the neat sewing.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Tell them before you walk thru the scanner. Be prepared to be patted down. I can only speak for the USA. HAVE A GREAT TRIP
  • Posted

hi

Been through security on 4 occasions since my HR. 1st time fine both ways, 2nd time got stopped at Manchester, it was not my area round my hip - think it must have been the wire in my bra as that was the area indicated.  Both times going out it was through the booth thingy where it scans your whole body. My hip is titanium and ceramic.  I was concerned the 1s time and mentioned it, the next trip I forgot.  Have a great time.

• Posted

Hi Lynn,

If you plan to be in San Jose, CA please let me know. It would be fun to share lunch or coffee with a fellow Hippie!

Kristen

• Posted

Hi

Lynn went to Mexico 6 months after my titanium and ceramic hip. Disapointingly alarm never went off not a flicker !!!

Enjoy your holiday you have earned it !!!

🖒

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I had my hip replaced in July, ceramic on ceramic, so I suppose a lot less metal than some. I've been through the Eurostar scanners, nothing, and also Stansted airport, nothing. Coming back from Tenerife a couple of weeks ago, alarms, had to be patted down. Like you, v proud of my v neat scar! Have a great time in the states!

• Posted

Lynn

There seem to be two types of scanner. The older sort you walk through an arch and anything metal sets it off. No they won't make you pull down your trousers they just run a hand scanner over you and pat you down.

The newer sort you stand on two footprints and the scanner moves around you

Those scanners seem to understand what they see better. So I find I don't get a second scan.

I'm not sure telling them makes any difference. I think and hope they make their own minds up.

Mike

• Posted

Hi lynn

ive flown 6 times since my op 4 months ago and haven't been stopped yet!

mine is titanium and ceramic  😎 X

• Posted

I am in the USA.  After my first THR 1/2013, I set off the metal detector, after the first time, I knew to tell TSA (security ppl) before hand, I would get patted down.  Same thing with my other THR 7/2016.

If you go through the other security walk through contraption (not sure what its called), no pat down etc...

Have fun !!

• Posted

Well done you.I have no idea but make sure you maybe upgrade instead of flying cattle class.! If your consultant gives the go ahead well done.regards Amanda
  • Posted

Yes you will get the bleeps but just tell them you have a metal hip beforehand so they will expect it
  • Posted

Hi Lynn smile

HOW EXCITING!! I hope you have an absolutely amazing trip. I've travelled all over the world since both my replacements and have been stopped ALOT!! I don't know if it's the same in every country, but in Australia you receive a little card from the manufacturer of your replacements stating when you had your surgery, who your surgeon was and what the replacements are made of. I always have that ready to show but they still have to pat you down and "wand" you for security reasons. They pretty much treat it just like anyone else that would buzz going through security. It doesn't hurt to mention but don't worry yourself about it smile

Enjoy your trip

Jess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.