Flying post surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am due to have key hole surgery on the 18th of August for treatment of ovarian Cyst and possible endometriosis. I didn't know the date of the op when I booked my holiday and I am due to go on holiday on the 13th of September to turkey. Airline websites say 10 days post surgery but I just wanted to know if anyone else has flown post surgery?

Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had much more surgery than you did so I can't really compare bit you are cutting it close in my opinion. Also, I haven't tried flying post-op. I just thinking about your actual recovery time. It may work out just fine. You are likely younger than me. I think 6 to 8 weeks is probably better but if you are in good health, heal quickly and get lots of rest while recovering you should be OK. Good luck. Personally, I would reschedule just in case.

• Posted

Hi

I had an ovarian cyst removed last June, by keyhole, I had it on the 13th, and flew to Turkey the 13th July and was fine, hopefully u will be fine, just have plenty of rest up until then, good luck

Debs😊

• Posted

I am 18 days post op and would happily go on holiday now, I'm healed enough to do most things and some lazing about in the sun would be super nice!!

I had a 10cm cyst removed on right ovary, another smaller cyst removed from left ovary, a Hysteroscopy with cervical cyst drainage and a small endometriosis adhesion unadhered from bowel.

Of course we all heal differently, you should keep your incisions sites out of the sun and maybe wise to ask your dr for some norethestirone to take with you as I had a fair bit of heavy painful period type bleeding a few days after and for a week and a half. The norethestirone should stop any periods but take pads with you also just in case.

I do still have a little bit of cramps but have stopped bleeding and the cramps are bearable.

You should still check with your dr but I think you should be fine and some r and r is probably a great thing for your recovery.

Good luck

• Posted

Hopefully by now you have spoken with your Dr. They probably have a standard recommended wait time but won't be able to give you specific recommendation until agter yout surgery.

Hopefully all goes as expected and you heal quickly. I was driving and mobile 2 weeks following my surgery. (mine was more extensive than yours will be) However, I found fatigue to be the biggest issue. It lingered for months afterward and naps were a must. So depending what your Dr. says plan on scheduled rest each day. Holidays can be peaceful and restorative, but I'm guessing Turkey plans would be lots of activity.

Take care of yourself. You don't want to over do so make sure you follow Drs. orders. ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.