Foamy urine - proteinuria or lack of water intake?

Posted , 15 users are following.

For over 3 years I noticed foamy urine off and on. The first time I noticed I went to doc, did a urine sample test and found small traces of urine by nurse. So I was then sent off to have lots of kindey test:

eGFR

MICROALBUMIN/CREATININE

MICROALBUMIN, UR, QN

BUN

BUN-to-creatinine ratio

A1C

Liver Panel

Thyroid Panel

ANA Panel

CBC

This was 3 years ago. And recently had the same test done besides ANA, and all were normal again, even dipstick was normal. He said dipsticks do show false positives. The new MICROALBUMIN/CREATININE and MICROALBUMIN, UR, QN was done on 5/22/13 and again was normal. I even made appoinment with kidney doc and it seemed like he laughed me out of office when I showed him my results. He told me not to ever worry about it. Still I want to know why I still keep getting foamy urine when I dont drink water.

And all were normal. But I still notice lots of bubbles, sometimes it takes less than 2 minutes to go away. It looks foamy. I workout but only drink protein shakes 1-3 a week at most. I'm 31, good

What I noticed:

1. When I drink loads of water, I rarely see any bubbles and do not see any foamy appearance

2. I mainly see foamy appearance in morning

3. When I sit to pee, I see minimal if any bubbles or foamy appearance

4. If I hit the side of toilet I do not see anything

From what I taken, foamy urine is an early sign of kidney damage, proteinuria. However on many forums, many of the responsies to these questions are "GO SEE A DOC, IT'S PROTEIN LEAKING" but all responises are from non medical professionals.

This is what I read so far:

"Far and away, foamy urine is not associated with any abnormality of the kidneys. There are some (I am one of them) who think that the foaming is related to a high velocity of concentrated urine flow and therefore is more of a curiosity than a threat to your health." -Newell R. Falkinburg, M.D., FACP -board certified nephrologist

4 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have exactly the same sympthoms and conditions for the last few months and the blood/urine test results were all negative. I had weight loss of about 10 pounds but seems to gaining back the weight now for the past few months. My weight fluctuate a lot for each day which seems to be related to gain/loss of water fluid. Still looking for reason of the weight loss and foamy urine.
    • Posted

If you haven't already, please see a nephrologist.

• Posted

I am actually very impressed with the amount of testing you received by request for a curiosity. I'm in the United States and if I asked to have anything done they would simply say no unless I had a serious problem justifying the need for such an exam.

All of my research and findings coincide with varying levels of dehydration in regards to bubbles or foamy urine. I have had the same issue but never thought much of it until recent curiosity. Mild dehydration can cause bubbles to form when you urinate, which is not a health concern so long as you can hydrate readily. Alternatives to dehydration would be excess protien consumption resulting in excretion through urine. I am in the military and partake in bodybuilding. When I bulk I increase my caloric intake to roughly 4500-5500 calories per day (sometimes even more ) of mostly protien rich food. I also use mass gainers and whey protein.  If I don't spread out my protien drinks in small amounts throughout the days I get frequent foaming and bubbling. This of course decreases or goes away after consumption slows down.

I wouldn't be worried but if you had other symptoms that occurred in unison with foamy urine it could be a cause for concern. Mainly speaking of pain or tenderness of the bladder or surrounding area, blood in urine, burning sensation while urinating, pretty much anything that would naturally hint at an abnormality.

• Posted

Yes dehydration can cause some cases of foamy urine, but if your body starts doing something it was not doing before it is a definite precursor, or warning, if you would, to some underlying problem yet to surface, maybe even undetectble now. From experience I would say, keep an eye on it and monitor any changes, get frequent urinalysis, and seek many second opinions, its your life, fight for it, no one else will!
  • Posted

Hey, I see that this was posted a while ago but I was curious if you ever figured anything else out or if you decided to ignore the foam. I have had the same excact issue for about 3 months now. I went to the doc and got liver and kidney function tests and had them culture my urine and test for a few other things. Sure enough, the doc tells me I'm healthy. While this is great news, I am still puzzeled by the foamy urine rolleyes

• Posted

Hey, they did the same to my husband. But do you have protein in your urine? I am assuming there is protein in your urine (ifnot ignore my comment). Don't wait around, the general practitioner told us the same thing, years ago, in our case there was actually another cause (not trying to worry you), but I wish someone had insisted we see a nephrologist years ago. The rest of our results were "normal" as well.

• Posted

Hi can you text me (909)438-4184 . I'm having foamy urine and worried . 

• Posted

I've had this foamy urine condition for seven years. Sometimes half of the bowl has foams/bubbles. I have done the recommended urine and blood tests and they have all returned normal. The doctor says there is nothing medically wrong with me. It seems like some people ate structured differently. If ypur tests come bavk normal then stop worrying.

Be sure to check blood pressure and blood sugar regularly though.

• Posted

Really? No protein detected in urine? That's interesting.

• Posted

I've had foamy urine for 6 years. For the last 2 years, it's always foamy. They did every test possible multiple times a year ago, and they all come back normal. I insisted on proteinuria, because the internet told me, and the doctor laughed me out of the office, like others have experienced. Still have no clue what it is, and nobody seems to care. Bringing that up with the doctor again soon, because I've had a rash for years that is getting worse, and occassionally a strange vinegar-like odor from my body fluids, which is troubling me. Yes, it sounds like kidney disease or liver disease, but I am fully expecting that nothing will be found no matter how many tests they make, no diagnosis will be made, the symptoms will not go away, only be slightly worse in a year from now. Of course there's always the threat that my organs will suddenly fail... but after begging many different doctors to please find out what the foam is if it's not protein, and somehow still walking out of the office without an answer, I just decided to not see a doctor again for a while, so I wouldn't go insane.

• Posted

I know this was written 20 days ago but some things you mentioned worry me. I too had foamy urine, i too also noticed a strange chemical type smell, i too also have strange rashes on my arms that itch. I let these symptoms go on. Then i needed a lung scan which I get every so often due to lung issues, the doctor ordered contrast. I had a routine test before the contrast was given and was told i could not get the test done because my kidneys were too bad. I was shocked. I got referred to a kidney doctor and my kidneys were functioning at 21%. I was told i had stage 4 kidney disease ! So please don't ignore your symptoms, they could be serious. Get a kidney function test as soon as possible .Hopefully you will have better results than I did. Donto let your symptoms go on un checked. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hey, I never saw your reply, but just stumbled on it now. My tests were normal a year ago... still foamy though, but I've decided to be relaxed about it and just demand a checkup every now and then. I hope you're alive and well given the circumstances. Your response means a lot to me, also now, so thank you, and all the best wishes to you too.

• Posted

Please find the closest large university clinics, they usually have neph clinics or others. Don't let them put you with any doctor (meaning young), do research on which one you want. Please see someone else. You could always have allergies, get tested for gluten (the blood test, the rest are invasive). Don't listen to them. If you think something is wrong trust your gut and keep digging. Did you do a 24 hr protein test? Some people spill different amounts of protein during the day. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but do research on good doctors in your area and keep trying.

• Posted

Did you do a protein to creatinine test, and how is your gfr? Do you weightlift or work out excessively? It could be something else, if the tests are normal...
    • Posted

I am so sorry you had to go through that. That is terrible. You still have options, don't stress yourself too much. I hope you are doing well, I just saw this. Sometimes some of the damage is reversible, especially if its acute (obstruciton, backflow, a cyst, tumor etc...). In those cases it is reversible. Did they tell you why that happened?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.