Fodmap diet

Posted , 3 users are following.

In yesterdays "inewspaper" there was an article on IBS, and Fodmap diet in which it claimed that the Fodmap diet was helping people with IBS. It listed foods suitable on a low fodmap diet and foods that weren't. This fodmap diet is helping one of our friends with RLS. The foods that should be eliminated were the ones I eat regularly, ie chocolate, biscuits, icecream, wholemeal bread, some dairy products, rye and wheat, quite scary, needless to say I will be eliminating these from my diet and looking at this fodmap diet seriously.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Joan

There is a lot of evidence that the FODMAP helps people with ibs.     If you search this forum you will find lots of posts about it and where to get further information.    There is also some information about the diet in the Restless Legs Syndrome sections.

Good luck with the diet.   Remember the diet called the FODMAP diet is called an exclusion diet and it is meant to redue all FODMAPS for about 6 to 12 weeks.   Then you start reintroducing foods systematically to identify which ones are your particular problem foods.    You might find that there are only two FODMAPS that affecr you so your long term diet only excludes these and you eat almost everything again.   You might also find that you can tolerate one biscuit or a piece of chocolate so you have to make sure you really enjoy that one piece of chocolate.

Most experts recomend that you get help from a dietician before you try reintroducing foods because they should be able to do it systematically so that you avoid mistakes and take a lot less time to get through the process.   Make sure your dietician claims to understand the diet.

I have found that I mustnt cheat even by a little bit or I "enjoy" consequences and wish I had been more thorough.

Good Luck Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Thank you Graham, not too sure about getting a dietician, was your dietician attached to your Doctors practice?

Thanks Joan

• Posted

Hi Joan

I have seen two dieticians.   Neither were associated with the doctor's practice.  One was private and she said she she had experience with FODMAP but she just told me things about the diet I already knew and a few leaflets and turned me loose.   The other hadn heard of the diet but didn't understand it so she gave me trivial advice about eating well.

I may be too dumb but I feel there must be a known routine for re-introduction of certain foods.   I suppose I should be able to work it out myself but I am scared that I will get it wrong and not only waste time but miss out on crucial sleep which I find the really tough part of RLS. 

My problem is that I should re-introduce food that has just one FODMAP in it and I should start with a very small quantity to see if it re-starts my RLS.  If not I then increase the "dose" of this one FODMAP until I find a threshold at which it hurts me or, better still, I find I can eat as much as I want of that one FODMAP.   Its easy to say so why don't I do it?   Perhaps I am just looking for a dietician to hold my hand and assure me I am doing the right thing.

I have one more dietician to try.   She works for a large institute and I have met her and she seems aware of the problem.  

Now I realise I probably should have gone to an IBS clinic and asked for help!

Thanks for making me think about what I want.

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham, I have found a a good Dietitian in Auckland who deals specifically with the Monash Fodmap diet and is helping me re-introduce foods from each group. I am starting with Fructose.  After a week of being strictly on the diet, and when I am RL free I have a teaspoon of honey or half a mango.  If no RL I take 2 tspns of honey on day 3., If no RL, I test another food group.

She also showed me how to use the filters on the the Fodmap ap.

If you were interested , I could send you what I have been given at the first appointment or you could work with her remotely.

Regards

Sue

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) and other contact details unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Graham, I have submitted a link to Dietitians who work with re-introducing food on the Fodmap diet but it has been stopped be the moderators so I am not sure how I can get this information to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.