Follicular thyroid cancer... any alternatives to radioactive iodine therapy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!  I was recently diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer.  I had surgery 3/28 to get the nodule and the left side of my thyroid removed.  Post surgery I received the pathology reports indicating I have follicular thyroid cancer, with minimal vascular invasion.  Because of my age (45), the size of the tumor (1.4 cm), and minimal vascular invasion, they are recommending a thyroidectomy AND radioactive iodine treatment.  I'm okay with the thyroidectomy, I am not okay with the RAI treatment. 

Does anyone know of any alternatives to RAI?  Is it necessary?  Are there any studies that show the long term effects?  

Thanks!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello joyfulplay,

I see your post today and wonder what decision you made and how you're doing now? I guess I'm hoping you went through with the radio iodine treatment as an adjunct. I am having my suspicious nodule biopsied soon and will definitely have the iodine treatment if positive for cancer as I'd had breast CA years ago. I can see why you were reluctant as the treatment sounds really dangerous, if you've never had a cancer in the past perhaps all will go well without it. If you are ever on this forum anymore please let me know how you are, I am praying that all is well and you are free of anxiety. I think severe anxiety is worse than the sickness at hand and I speak from experience. Personally, I talk to God for help with my anxiety and I am helped. If you are Jewish or Christian try saying slowly and thoughtfully the 23rd Psalm and imagine youself being led by 'still waters' and 'lying down in green pastures' with God's presence in your soul. This has helped millions going through a serious health challenge or other traumas...best wishes and hugs to you!

• Posted

Hi there! 

Thank you so much for your message and good wishes!  I have decided to forgo the RAI treatment.  I am following the advice of some alternative doctors, and I feel great!

I wish you all the best on your journey!

JP

• Posted

Hi joyfulplay!

I am thrilled you are doing so very well and thank you so much for letting me know!

I am 60 years and have always educated myself on nutrition and holistic alternative medicine and have been helped/cured of MANY ailments, you have made a wise choice in my opinion. Continued blessings to you! It's funny, I had such a feeling of hope and happiness about the time I see you posted. I know it helps a person feel SO much better when another person, especially a stranger to give a hoot about your personal struggle, it made me so sad seeing that no one on the forum responded to you (although I understand when people are sick the natural human tendency is to be highly concerned about own condition), I'm new here and am trying hard, as a former long term cancer survivor, that healing of cancer us now a huge possibility!!! Be hugged again and continued good fortune...NeverGiveUp!

• Posted

Hello, I have recently been diagnosed with thyroid cancer and have since had a full thyroid removal. The next step of treatment my doctor is pushing for is radio iodine treatment.  Like you I'm really not keen on this treatment and would be very interested to hear what influenced your thoughts on this type of treatment and what types of alternative treatments are available. My doctor seems to think this is a forgone conclusion and there seems to be very little balanced information about the treatment available. Thanks for the advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.