Food Allergies causing ETD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone with eustachian tube dysfunction been diagnosed with food allergies and found that avoidance of those foods solved the issue? If so, how long did it take for yours ears to clear? I was recently told my years of eustachian tube dysfunction was caused by milk and egg llergies and I should avoid them. My ear congestion is improving but slowly

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am starting to explore that option, too.  I am curious, where did you hear this from?  Two ENTs and two GPs have just shrugged and told me that "maybe" it will get better on its own, and I just do not accept that.  I have read that food sensitivities and/or allergies can cause inflammation that affect the ETs, as well as sinuses, etc.  I'm curious if there is a legitimate medical community supporting the theory.  Thanks.

• Posted

Like you experienced, my ENTs and GPs shrug it off usually. One ENT thought GERD but after 4 months of prilosec and changes in diet and eating habits my ears are stilol congested. One GP ran a food allergy panel on the top 10 foods using igE which showed nothing. I went to a naturopath who tested food sensitivity which is igG and egg and dairy sensitivities were very high. He said avoid those foods and I started 4 days ago. I didn't realize so many foods have eggs and/or milk like croutons, dried fruits, ... I was hoping to hear if anyone with ETD tried eliminating foods and found relief

• Posted

Hi, I too have suffered Eustachian Dysfunction for years.  In fact going back to the 80's.  Because of the blocked ears I consquently contracted

Bacterial Meningitis due to the mucus left in tubes turning bacterial.  A very nasty episode, losing the sight in my left eye and hesring issues.  Constant coures of antibiotics ove the years proved useless and only Prednisolone steriod tablets helping to dry up mucus and inflammation.

I suffer allergies too, but I was told by my ENT Consultant very few people with this complaint it's not caused by food allergies....so hard to try and find what foods could potentially be responsible for this awful complaint.  At last my ears seem to behaving themselves due to the fact my consultant changed my medication.  I was using Rhinocort Nasal Spray for years, but without much success.  He then tried me on Flixonase Nasules for 8 weeks, then changing me to Flixonse Aqueous Nasal Spray, which I've now been using for 3 months and no blocked eustachian tubes so far.  I stopped eating apples as I read of some people being sensitive to those....back on them now, so that wasn't my problem.  I've read too that dairy products cause mucus, but that doesn't mean we are allergic to it.  Food allergies usually present themselves with gut issues and other more serious issues.

I hope this piece of information is of some help.  It's also worth trying

NeilMed Sinus Rinse, it's a Soothing Saline Nasal Irrigation, that does help to eliminate sinus mucus that ends up in the eustachian tubes.  Tubes get so stuck up with mucus from colds or sinus issues the tubes won't open to drain.

The best of luck with whatever you choose to try.

Happily with the meds I'm now on I've never felt

better with my ears and wish I'd known about it

years ago.  I've been left with Tinnitus with the

years of year problems.

• Posted

Thanks Anne. I have been using flonase (fluticasone propionate) spray, which is the US version of Flixonase, regularly for 4 months. It does help but not as much as I would like. It is hard getting doctors to find a root cause which is what I would like. Things such as bacterial infection, thyroid, autoimmune disease have all been investigated
    • Posted

Hi again, well hopefully in time it may work.  My latest worry is thinning

of my hair, which I've wondered is it the steriod nasal spray causing it.

Blood test tomorrow to test for hormone levels (been through menopause)

or possible thyroid.  So if it's not one thing it's another !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.