Foot movement at 10 weeks, non operative.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I posted here about a month ago asking about roughly how long I can expect it to take before I'm able to move my foot. It's been 10 weeks tomorrow (26th October) since I fully ruptured my left achilles tendon and this week I have been able to gently point my toes! I'm yet to have any PT but I've very slowly been trying to get some movement out of my foot.

I've been looking at various other people on social media who have chosen the non surgical route and that have also decided to take a head on approach- weight baring as soon as possible, using resistance bands and walking. Now, ive not been silly about this as Im in no hurry to re rupture but I've been FWB in the boot without crutches for 6/7 weeks now without issue. I have gradually removed the wedges from the boot at 2 weekly intervals as my Doc has told me to and since removing the last one 2 weeks ago tomorrow, I have been occasionally standing without the boot altogether, being careful to apply weight to my foot slowly. Over the last few days I have been stading on my good leg with the injured one tucked up under me (as though I'm doing the Thompson test without a chair) and have been able to point my toes without either pain or discomfort.

I thought I'd write this down to let people know how my recovery is going and to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep positive and keep focused smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's great, but what you're now doing at 10 weeks I was able to do at 4 weeks with op and pt. I guess if you're in no hurry to recover. That route is cool and plus you don't have the gorgeous trophy scar...lol

• Posted

Hehe a scar would have been cool but I wasn't sure it was worth the risk of infection or nerve damage. I have read more negative than positive about having the op so decided against it. Glad it's worked out really for you though, well done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.