Foot pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fractured my 5th metatarsal in mid may, had a walking boot for 6 weeks and a different shoe before that. I still have severe pain in the outside of my foot and not sure why. I cant walk flat on my foot and it has a burning, painful feeling all the time. Why am i still in so much pain?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh man, not encouraging to me!! I am new at this. None weight bearing for 4 weeks now. See doc a week from tomorrow when if this is healing, can walk in boot. I think that will be for 6 more weeks. So difficult with a horse farm and dogs. Thanks for sharing and wish I had an answer for you!
  • Posted

I broke mine 14weeks ago I had the boot on 24hr.a day non weight bearing for 10 weeks then 1 was part weight for 2 weeks and cauld take boot of at night I was then allowed to put my shoes on still using 2 cruches for a week and today I was cut back to 1 cruches and practice in house walking with none I was on strong painkiller for the first four weeks now when foot swells I raise it and put ice pack on it with time it doesn't seem to happen as often but it still does

• Posted

WOW, non of this is encouraging. Was yours a displaced fracture and did you have surgery? I am not wearing boot to sleep because my doctor never said to. hum. Wear it the rest of the time and am on crutches. Has been 4 weeks. One more until I see doctor who said I may be able to walk in boot without crutches. I have no pain which is a problem because I am so active. Tell me more. thanks

• Posted

No it wasn't displaced and I had no surgery I am 62 year's have bad circulation and osteoporosis everyone is different some people are back on there feet in 6 week's other are longer main thing is to do what your told .you can't rush it.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones .

• Posted

OH Catherine, I am not happysmile I am 67, have osteoporisis, now osteopenia because I take polea although, that can build a fake bone but, slow healing. This has always been a nightmare of mine. Because I still ride, decided to take one of these meds. Will all be interesting when I see my doc on the 29th. I can not believe you were on crutches 14 weeks! take care of yourself. I will get back to you. Sandi

• Posted

I have similar problem, I broke mine 8th of May, started walking last week. But I feel more pain in my middle foot, where the heads of the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals are. And the pain is always the same, not getting better sad

• Posted

Not sure whats going on. Mine is a little better but not much. Go back to the ortho next friday. Guess it doesnt help i stand on my feet 12 hours a day on concrete floors. Maybe that has something to do with it not healing as fast but ive been in the walking boot for 21/2 months. Idk! Hoping for fast healing for you
    • Posted

Gosh Tonya, this particular fracture is so difficult to heal. What does your doctor say?
    • Posted

Fracture is healed according to the xrays i had at 6 weeks however i still have a lot iof pain. Especially if i try to sleep with that side of my foot on the bed. Just want it to stop hurting already
    • Posted

Delighted your fracture is healing and I know what you mean about pain in top of foot not where break is I think it is caused when foot is swollen and when I elevate mine and ice it the pain eases then when I walk or stand it comes back under my toes goes numb sometimes with the swelling then I know I did to much the exercise the phisio give me seems to help
    • Posted

OK Catherine, am having surgery on Wed. Because I am 67, have osteoporosis, am a rider and very active, the doctor and I decided this is best. My fracture was 50% healed and with another 4 weeks non weightbearing it might heal more but, "we" think as soon as I put my foot in that stirrup and bear down, the damn thing will recur. So, she said after surgery 4 weeks non weightbearing, 4 walking in boot then, good to go back to normal activities. I need to get on with my active life. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you have to have surgery I know it is a very slow process. Mine broke on the 17th April 2016.I am still going for phisio every week and on one cruche .I walk every day if I can when it's not raining this stimulate the bone to heal and it seems to work .I try walking a little in house with no cruches but foot swells and gets sore.hope everything goes well on Wednesday let us know how you are .will be thinking of you

Good luck Catherine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.