Foot turning out post THR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,  following my THR 11 months ago, my foot turns out, I have done exercises the consultant suggested, but it just wont stay in a normal posistion, this is now causing pain in my foot becuase of not having the foot straight.  I did have nerve damage post op to thigh but htis has resolved.Has anyone else experienced this? I am seeing my GP about this next week.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi auntiebeanie, 

wow ... 11 months .. when was the last time you saw your consultant? maybe it is time to make another appointment with him.. Doesn't sound okay to me when this causes pain in your foot - probably not helping being in balance or walking correctly --- I know that my left foot turns a wee bit inward after surgery and surgeon told me to correct it when walking - 

Oh, just read that you are seeing your GP about this ...

let us know the outcome of your visit okay ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee, saw my consultant in June and he gave me the exercises.  Will let you know what Gap says. See him on 2nd Sept. 
  • Posted

For years before I had any ops I suffered with this. It was because the glute muscles in my bad hip were so tight they were pulling the leg out of line. I still have this problem, probs for the same reason as after my replacement there is still a lot of strength and flexibility to regain. I had success in the past doing the clam exercise and squeezing a pillow between my knees (bent). Foam roller can also help but painfull if the muscles are v.tight. Before my ops I gained a lot from doing pilates and when I'm ready i'll start again. This might not be your problem but it does sound familiar.

• Posted

Hi I'm 7 months post op and I have pain in my foot. I'm going to for a nerve conduction test. When you say your nerve damage resolved itself how long did it take. I have always had problems with my feet turning in but I have no feeling in this foot just tingling all the time. Brenda C

• Posted

Hi Brenda,

it it took about 6mnths to settle my thigh pain but I was on Amitryptaline for 2mnths. My foot only started hurting about 6 weeks ago. It definitely sounds like a nerve problem. I have Mortons neuroma in other foot so can understand her how your foot feels with tinglInf. Hope you get it resolved. X

• Posted

Thanks for all your repliews, it is the muscles that tighten up that are causing the problem, doing lots of exercises to stretch them and also turning my foot inwards 3 times a day and holding it there is helping too. 
  • Posted

A cautionary tale about following advice from a post-hip-replacement therapist .

After a successful left anterior THP, I was struggling on how to get back into bed comfortably after a bathroom break. My home health therapist advised me to put my left heel against the low bed frame, use both legs, and shove myself backwards into the center of the bed.

Worked great.

That night: the 3 AM return to bed: Set left heel, launch body.

These things happened all at the same time:. TERRIBLE PAIN LEFT PELVIC AREA. AN AUDIBLE "SNAP!" A GRAVE FEELING OF SOMETHING GIVING WAY DEEP IN MY INTERIOR.

First thing the next morning after a sleepless night, my wife took me to the surgeon, who listened to my story, did an X RAY, said the ball was still in the socket, he could see no damage. He though it was either a snapped surgical stitch or a pulled ligament. Ether case was not surgically repairable. He suggested rest, ice, elevation, and pain med when needed.

Flash forward two weeks. My recovery was slow. After a shower, I noticed that my left foot, instead of pointing straight ahead or slightly left, was at the 9 o'clock position. With no pain or discomfort. I moved it further astern, to the 8 o'clock position. Still no pain or discomfort. 7 o'clock. Notta.

I COULD ROTATE MY LEFT FOOT COMPLETELY BACKWARDS.... 180 DEGREES.... WITH NO FEELING AT ALL. No pain, no feeling of "This is not right."

Follow-up advice and treatment: "Don't ever do that again."

So I now walk funny, like the Penguin in Batman. But not very far at a time.

My advice: be very careful in listening to anything a physical therapist says. If it looks wrong, don't do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.